Stella still a good buy?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HMBscoot

Stella still a good buy?

Post by HMBscoot »

Hi all I just got the bug to ride again and in a brief search came upon a low mile stella for sale near me. Owner says it has been tuned up after siting for a bit would you still buy one, or are there better options now that you'd skip these now?
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
2009 Stella 2T "temporarily"
Mr.FixIt

Re: Stella still a good buy?

Post by Mr.FixIt »

The Stella is still my favorite ride between the modern and the vintage. They seem to be holding their value, and the availability of parts is outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if a shifty scooter is what lights your fire.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
HMBscoot

Post by HMBscoot »

Mr fixit good to hear. I still have a buddy 150 so this would be to add a vintage shifter.
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

the real question is 2t or 4t. if 2t and the price is right for you go for it, if it's 4t walk away
HMBscoot

Post by HMBscoot »

Is the 4t really that bad ? I was told the same on a Facebook group. I was planing on upgrading with asl kinds of performance stuff or maybe even swap in a 200
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
HMBscoot

Post by HMBscoot »

So happy surprise it is in fact a 2T, I picked it up rode to a nearby dealer had them look it over and rode home 115 miles in total today in 100* heat. It ran really well. The mechanic said it looked to be in very good shape for an 09. It's resting in the garage til tomorrow's ride into work.
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
HMBscoot

Post by HMBscoot »

New question, is there anyone who has successfully bought and registered a used 2t stella in California.

Here's the story, the previous owner recently moved into CA from Oregon, the scoot is still reg. And plated with Oregon plate.i have purchased the scoot and now realized that the state might not alow me to register it as it's a 2T and therefore not emissions compliant.
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
MonkeyBoots

Post by MonkeyBoots »

Yea, they never met Cali standards, even when new. Could be an issue. Go the Vermont registration route. I've been driving my '59 VBA in GA for 2 years now on Vermont plate without issues. Knock on wood.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

HMBscoot wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:43 am Is the 4t really that bad ? I was told the same on a Facebook group.
It is not so much that the 4Ts aren't good scooters as that parts for the 4T and 4T auto are fast disappearing. The 2T shares so many parts with similar vintage Vespas that it does not have the same issue.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)