Helmet communication systems for group rides

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

unit562

Helmet communication systems for group rides

Post by unit562 »

What do y'all that do group rides use for helmet communicators?
One of the Discord groups I talk to are all switching to Cardo but I'm not sure about the 15-user limit on their Mesh system and certainly not sold on the price.
Sena makes the RT1 now which is open mesh and very well priced, leaning towards it.
Then Amazon sells names like FODSPORTS which has a few 6 and 8 user models, LEXIN makes a 10 rider model, EJEAS makes some well reviewed models, Freedconn makes a ton of different models, all of those have video reviews that I'm going through right now.
TNICER makes some nicer looking systems that have 5-star amazon reviews but no video reviews anywhere online.

My fear with Sena is the infinite number of horror stories I've seen about Sena not standing behind their products when they fail but I really like the Mesh 2.0 system they use now. I'm pretty overwhelmed and I have a group ride coming up with over 100 people and they all use different systems so I'll be covered no matter which direction I go.
'08 Buddy 125
unit562

Re: Helmet communication systems for group rides

Post by unit562 »

I ended up buying a FODSPORTS FX6 S.

A review can be simplified down to, I'll be buying a Cardo when they finish their rumored "Open Mesh" system they're "supposedly" working on with 2 other brands that aren't Sena. The sound quality of these Chinese clone brands is just horrible.
'08 Buddy 125
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I was hoping this thread would have a little more discussion. I have been looking into different units but it's hard to know what to look for and what you don't need. In the few comparisons I have seen usually the good ones are $300-$400 and that is way more than I want to spend since I would only use it a few times a month.
unit562

Post by unit562 »

scootERIK wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:34 am I was hoping this thread would have a little more discussion. I have been looking into different units but it's hard to know what to look for and what you don't need. In the few comparisons I have seen usually the good ones are $300-$400 and that is way more than I want to spend since I would only use it a few times a month.
So I had talked this subject to death with my dad. I get my need to commute on 2 wheels from him, only he likes large displacement bikes and I like scoots/small displacement dual sports. He runs a Cardo Spirit HD and says it's everything he could ever want for a helmet sound system and that's all he uses it for. I'm also a Patreon supporter for Jakethegardensnake and the entire Discord is switching to Cardo units after they've all gotten shafted by Sena customer support.

I would say, the FODSPORT does its job just fine it's just not user friendly and if you like depth to your audio, probably not the best choice. It's also $90 shipped to your door.
'08 Buddy 125