Which scoot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NathanielSalzman

Which scoot?

Post by NathanielSalzman »

So I'm thinking about a twist-n-go scooter. Within my price range are the following:

1. Vespa LX150
2. Genuine Blur
3. Genuine Buddy International (150cc)
4. Kymco Bet&Win 150

Who's ridden what? I've ridden my wife's Buddy 125, so I'm familiar with that, but don't have any seat time in the others. I imagine the LX is somewhat similar to my P200, only better.

Discuss!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I ride a buddy, I really like the small size of it because it reminds me of the old vespa small frames like the vbb and vbc, I'd say a buddy 150cc would be best or a blur, the blur is a bit faster and nicer.

I almost got a blur for 2700+tax out the door, but I loved the buddy to much to pass up on the design and looks.

The blur would be the best in performance and speed in my opinion, it's a very fast bike for 150cc and has some nice features you'd see on a crotch rocket motorcycle. genuine is clearancing them to get rid of them and still have a few 2007 blur's for that price.

It originally sold for 3500+tax, but now 2700. I'd say for value and price, the blur is the best, or else I'd say go with a buddy.

the buddy vs the lx150, I'd still pick a buddy, but the lx150 has some nicer features like a closed glove box, but for that real old school scooter look, the buddy wins.

Hard to find a blur to sit on because many dealers dont carry them anymore, but they can order them, but ordering them, you'll be stuck with it without getting to know it and sit on it. But with the lx and buddy, you can just go to your dealer and sit on them easily.

Everyone who buys a blur loves it, same for a buddy, it's also nicer that they are almsot half the price of a new lx150, a vespa dealer here wanted me to get one for 5000k out the door, to me for 5k I could have bought a motorcycle with more power. I wanted a quality scooter that didnt have the brand name pricing. So I got a buddy!
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Which of those scooters feel best to you? Have you at least sat on them or taken any for a test drive?
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

The only way to decide what's best for you is to try em all out. You have to see what fits your body and your riding style. You may want to include the ET4 in your list of potentials. Good, solid little bike. Do you have a dealer near you who will let you test ride? Friends who own these bikes? I can't speak for the Blur but the B&W is similiar to the People, which I rode for two years before getting a GTS. It's got a comfortable ride. The larger tires handle well on bumpy pavement. Don't settle for something you'll be less than 100% satisfied with. Good luck in your search!
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

teacherquinn wrote:The only way to decide what's best for you is to try em all out. You have to see what fits your body and your riding style. You may want to include the ET4 in your list of potentials. Good, solid little bike. Do you have a dealer near you who will let you test ride? Friends who own these bikes? I can't speak for the Blur but the B&W is similiar to the People, which I rode for two years before getting a GTS. It's got a comfortable ride. The larger tires handle well on bumpy pavement. Don't settle for something you'll be less than 100% satisfied with. Good luck in your search!
I agree, I'd check out the et4. Nimble and solid, plus vespa quality. Not as fast though as the buddy 150 would be.
I have the scoots!
NathanielSalzman

I fit fabulously on the Vespa, and there's a used LX150 here locally so I'm looking into that. I've been asking some local folk and they're chanting "Blur! Blur! Blur!" My only reservation is seating position. I'm not uncomfortable sitting on it, but it's not as comfortable as the Vespa. I haven't actually ridden one yet though, so I'll have to reserve judgement until then. Got a local guy hooking me up at the end of the week with a zip on his. We'll see.

There just all sort of the same range of scooter, so I was curious if anybody had ridden any combination of them in comparison and what they thought.
NathanielSalzman

ERik3tb wrote:Which of those scooters feel best to you? Have you at least sat on them or taken any for a test drive?
My wife has a Buddy and I've got a P200E. I haven't ridden the Blur, the LX, or the B&W. I imagine the LX would feel a lot like my P200, just smoother and less complicated. The weight and power are pretty much identical.
Christy

Post by Christy »

I've got the Pamplona and have extensive ride time on an LX150 and ET4. I can't say as far as the others but here are what I see as some differences:

The LX and ET4 are physically the same size and both quite a bit larger and heavier than the Buddy. Impact? Slightly slower than the Buddy and slightly lower top end speed. If you are tall, maybe speed is less important and you prefer the higher seat on the Vespa as compared to the Buddy.

The LX and the ET4 ride COMPLETELY differently. yeah yeah I know they are the same size and same size engine and all that but their center of gravity/balance are totally different. The ET4's center is much higher up than the LX150 and that makes the LX much easier to handle and corner. Riding the ET4 always feels like I'm on the verge of losing control...bad feeling, so I won't ride one.

I definitely feel that it's very important to test ride anything on 2 wheels before buying. You NEED to know that you fit well and are totally comfortable on the bike.

my $0.02
EPSP #76