GIVI tail light add-on

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ranpianoman

GIVI tail light add-on

Post by ranpianoman »

Does anyone have a GIVI case with the tail/brake light kit? My protective (I'm actually glad of this) wife insisted I get it installed. She followed me home from the dealer and said the Buddy tail light was somewhat difficult to see. Just curious if anyone else has done this.

I know this is an irrelevant statement to the thread, but... It is SOOO nice to commute to work at 83.3 MPG as opposed to 15.9 and have fun doing it!
MonsterGirl

Post by MonsterGirl »

I haven't done it but wondered how visible my tail light is with the big top case back there. Seems like a good solution. I do wonder if it impacts the ability to quickly remove the case though?

I agree, it is a lot more fun to commute on the scooter!
ranpianoman

Post by ranpianoman »

That was my first question. According to the dealer, it's a quick connector that is easily unplugged. Here's the link to the kit. The case is an E-30.

http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bau ... CO_ID=9632
Bullkitty

GIVI tail/brake light

Post by Bullkitty »

ranpianoman,

I added it to an E33 topcase about three months ago. Or rather, I did everything but connecting the wires to the Buddy's electrical system. My dealer did that final part for $75.

I got it for the exact reason that your wife mentioned--I was worried that the topcase would obscure my brake light. Anyway, it works well and no one has rear-ended me yet...
ranpianoman

Post by ranpianoman »

Thanks... My wife just stuck her tounge out at me and said... "I told you so..." LOL!

When the installation is done, I'll shoot some pics of the difference and post them... You guys can be the judge.
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

I've said it before on the forum, and I'll gladly say it again - not just for the quality of the Givi top case, but also for the safety factor of the brake light kit - you can't even begin to compare the Givi to the piece of crap Genuine top case. I got the Micro II. It's matte black, so it will match any scooter. I can get a whole bag of groceries in this sucker, and with the quick release button, I can carry it with me when I have to park for an extended period of time. A quick detach of the brake light kit, then a push of a button, and voila - I have a Micro II purse! :clap:
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

My husband installed the brake light kit on my Givi trunk and it works very well. I think I even have some pictures of it on this board somewhere. I'm not sure about the quick disconnect feature since I've never taken the trunk off.

My husband told me the same thing before getting the trunk: it's hard to see the brake lights. The brake light on the trunk is much brighter so no need to worry about seeing the Buddy's OEM brake lights.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I found this on Modernvespa.com I remember there being one with LED's but couldn't find it.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewto ... reak+light
ranpianoman

Post by ranpianoman »

That's a cool option as well. Didn't read the whole thread, but I assume the box doesn't get removed from the scooter much, if at all.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

We have it on the Givi 350. Works really well, adds great visability and fairly easy to install. Do it!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Here is a link to the original brake light kit install thread.

viewtopic.php?p=5077&highlight=#5077

and for those that don't want to go back that far in history here is how I did it

I wired in a E350 light kit alittle differently but I think it came out pretty clean!

I removed that small panel below the brake light and the brake light lens. There are three screws holding in the light assembly one on the bottom and one on each side that needed to be removed.

I CAREFULLY flexed the licence plate light assembly and each side panel to pull out the light assembly. To run the wire I opened the seat and was able to pull up the back lip of the storage compartment. I cut a very small notch there, just big enough to not pinch the wire. I fished the wire down through there and out next to the brake light.

There are three wires going to the light assembly, light blue, black, and dark blue. I used a VOM to check and found that the light blue is the brake light, black is ground, and the dark blue is the running light. I wire tapped The blue GIVI wire to the light blue and black to black. Yours should be the same but it never hurts to check before tapping!

Reassembly was all that was left. The only evidence is about two inches of wire running from the rack center post to under the seat. Im very pleased with it

My pics from that thread have been deleted..by me just a few days ago of course! (I was over my limit...what else is new!) If you need them let me know I will try to dig them up. I am still impressed with the Givi design for a "BOX". There have been a few times where I have just popped the box off and on to load or unload it inside. It is especially great when its raining and I don't want my stuff to get wet!

Hey mod..let me know if we should clean this upand post in the tech section, that was the royal we of course!

BR - NotDavid
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
crashtestdummy

Install

Post by crashtestdummy »

I followed prior threads on how to install the kit. Not too difficult. There is also a thread on how to put reflective tape in the light compartment. Both make you more visible from behind.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Here is a link to Scootgirl's page showing a Givi taillight kit install on a Kymco P250. The pix and explanation are pretty good and the Kymco-only stuff is worth looking at even though you're installing on a Buddy.
ranpianoman

Post by ranpianoman »

Got my kit installed yesterday. It only took 30 minutes and was a breeze.