Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

westValGal

Post by westValGal »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and scootering. I just got a new St.Tropez. Any info for a newbie will be appreciagted. I've gotten a lot of infor so far from this site. Thnks all. :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooo... Saint Tropez!!! Must have pics!
Dooglas

Re: Newbie

Post by Dooglas »

westValGal wrote:Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and scootering. I just got a new St.Tropez. Any info for a newbie will be appreciated. I've gotten a lot of infor so far from this site. Thnks all. :D
Congratulations!!! We are all dying for information from you about how the new 150 performs. Keep us posted.

(my standard advice for any new scootista - take the local MSF course sooner rather than later, much sooner)
8 ACES

Post by 8 ACES »

Welcome!!!! MSF-yes.
Ducati GT 1000
Buddy Italia 125

My Tank Is Half Full!!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Congrats! The St.Tropez is my favorite from the 08s :)
twharton

Post by twharton »

Rule #1:

Remember that everybody was a noob at one time.

Rule #2:

Pictures are required.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
Pita1963

New myself -

Post by Pita1963 »

Hello All -
WestVal wrote to introduce her self, so I thought that I would say hi also. I'm still waiting for my Buddy Int'l Pamplona 150 from my dealer, so I consider myself whatever comes before a newbie.... Do have one question for everyone: how much scooter/motorcycle experience did you have before you purchased your first scooter? Me, I have ridden a few times on scooters in Hawai'i, that's where I fell in love with them. Never wanted a big bike, but have always loved the ( i dunno, it sounds silly i guess.. ) but the romance and fun of scooters....

Anyways - thanks for all the great info here, looking to make a lot of new friends

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Pita1963 wrote:Do have one question for everyone: how much scooter/motorcycle experience did you have before you purchased your first scooter?
That's a good question... I'd like to know as well. I had very little experience. I rode my bicycle around everywhere before I got my bud, I still do, just if I'm tired or if I gotta go more than a couple miles its Buddy to the rescue! I had a little riding experience on my dad's Honda Helix, but not on the main roads as I didn't have a license at the time. I didn't take the MSF course that everyone talks about cuz it's too friggin EXPENSIVE!!! maybe when I finally pay off my scoot I'll do it. It's not that I don't think I need it, cuz I KNOW I do, I'm all about safety...

ANYWAYS, WELCOME TO BOTH OF Y'ALL NEW INT'L OWNERS (or about to be owners)!!! :mrgreen:
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

BIG Welcome to westValGal :D and her New Toy :D
This is a very good group here. Feel good about it.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Pita1963 wrote:Do have one question for everyone: how much scooter/motorcycle experience did you have before you purchased your first scooter?
I had about 1/2 hour experience back in the early 70's .... 1st scoot was Aug of 2007 ..... and I could kick myself for not doing it sooner :lol:
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
MonsterGirl

Post by MonsterGirl »

I had only rented a scooter up in Victoria, BC for a few hours before I decided I had to have one of my own. But I've had a motorcycle (Ducati Monster, thus the name) for a few years and also completed the MSF course and had my endorsement for the same amount of time.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, westValGal— Welcome.

By West Val, do you mean west SF Valley? If you can, think about stopping by the NoHo Scooters BBQ next week. I'll be handing out Modern Buddy pins to all Buddy riders who attend. Plus a good time to meet other scooterists on the area.

There's a ride beforehand, but it's through canyons, etc. and may be a little challenging (or very dangerous) for a new rider.

Our "stock" advice for new owners/riders:
1. Sign up and take the MSF course (info here). They offer it at the West Valley Occupational Center and you can take it on your Buddy. The Basic Rider Course teaches you everything you know to get started riding safely, plus strategies for riding in traffic and various conditions. Bonus: passing the course gets you a waiver for the DMV riding test for your motorcycle license.
2. A lot of us wind up buying a lot more or better gear than we thought we'd need when we first bought the scooter. Why? Look here.
3. The search function on the forum is your friend! A lot of basic questions have been asked before. But if you can't find something, we're here to help!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Re: New myself -

Post by jmazza »

Pita1963 wrote: Do have one question for everyone: how much scooter/motorcycle experience did you have before you purchased your first scooter? Me, I have ridden a few times on scooters in Hawai'i, that's where I fell in love with them. Never wanted a big bike, but have always loved the ( i dunno, it sounds silly i guess.. ) but the romance and fun of scooters....
You'll find you're not alone in that here... I've got the exact same experience as you. Not much at all riding experience, but fell in love with scooters after a trip to Italy in 2001. It took my car dying to push me over the edge and I think I'll be addicted for a long time.

Welcome to the new members!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

PIta1963,
I rode scooters/bikes for 10+ years. Then I had a hiatus for 18 years before I got the Blur. But when I got my first scooter, I had zero prior experience.

In addition to what Ericalm said, I would highy recommend you read Proficient Motorcycling. It is most likely carried by your local library as well. You can probably finish it before your Buddy arrives.
Until you get more comfortable, just ride it like everyone is out to get you. In other words, be very defensive.

Welcome aboard !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

EP_scoot wrote:'Until you get more comfortable, just ride it like everyone is out to get you. In other words, be very defensive.
You mean everyone's not out to get me? I'm gonna have to talk to my therapist about that.....lol

Thanks for all replies everyone, Scoot - I will run out today and pick up the book you reccomended!!

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
twharton

Post by twharton »

You mean everyone's not out to get me? I'm gonna have to talk to my therapist about that.....lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
twharton
Northwest, FL
Drumwoulf

My suggestion to noobs...

Post by Drumwoulf »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A suggestion: Do not EVER think of a lightweight scooter as a bicycle!
Think of it, and treat it, as a motorcycle with smaller wheels...
Get all the training and safety knowledge you can get, wear a helmet, boots and gloves when riding,
and perhaps a protective jacket and pants. 8)

I've been riding motorcycles for 24 years, and scooters now for 4.
While I now feel that scooters are more fun, there's really very little difference in danger levels
between scooters and motorcycles, IMO... :twisted:

-Remember, an accident on a scooter going 55-65 MPH can hurt you
just as severely as having the same accident on a 1200cc motorcycle! :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Drumwolf wrote:
-Remember, an accident on a scooter going 55-65 MPH can hurt you
just as severely as having the same accident on a 1200cc motorcycle!
Yeap, once your body and the scooter/motorcyle fall and part ways, at whatever speed, the pavement does not take it easier on you because you were riding a scooter. It will bump you and grind you regardless of you riding a cute Buddy or a Goldzilla.

Consider it Equal Opportunity Damage. :D It is all very democratic.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
westValGal

Newbie support

Post by westValGal »

Thanks for the welcome and support and suggestions. West Val does mean west SF valley. I got some more quality time today with the scoot it is sooooo much fun. Now I'm trying to think of places to ride to. In between work and school I have to squeeze some time in to ride.
I already took the MSF and have my license now. Just need more time and some buds to ride with.
I learned to ride on a Honda 90 trail bike which was an automatic and remembered how much fun that was, so now I have the St. Trpoez which I must say is fast and handles great.
Happy scootering! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Awesome.

I thought my scoot would be a fun second vehicle—it quickly became my primary vehicle and stayed that way for 2 years. There's almost nowhere in SoCal you can't ride to on surface streets. I haven't strayed farther than Long Beach yet, but hope to make it up to Santa Barbara this year, and maybe up to SF...? Once I started riding, I was amazed by all the new routes and destinations I discovered and how fun it was to ride someplace new, even places I'd been to many times in a car.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

And I'm still really looking forward to some pictures westValGal!

Congrats on the new ride! It sounds like a glove-fit for you!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Welcome to you both! The others offer excellent advice regarding print and electronic resources, the MSF course, gear, and posting pictures here, so I won't reiterate. :D

This is my first scooter. I've ridden pinion many times, rode some dirtbikes and quads around my friends' yards, and ridden a bike for years and years. But this is the first scooter I've actually driven. From all accounts, the Buddy is the perfect first scooter! And now, about a year later, I feel like I'm ready to learn how to operate a geared machine. I'm staring really hard at the newest Stella, so it's only a matter of time.
ModBud #442
twharton

Post by twharton »

polianarchy,

If your're even thinking about it than you have to do it! You won't regret it! :D I'd be riding a Stella were it not for that production hiccup 2005/6 instead of my PX.

I love my Buddy but shifting and a little tuning has changed my riding life. Here's a link to my foray into tuning from the Modern Vespa board if you want to waste the time to read it.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic22195.html
twharton
Northwest, FL
westValGal

pictures

Post by westValGal »

Hope to post some pics of the St. Tropez but I have to figure out how to do it from my digital camera first.
I read a lot of people name their scooter! Sounds interesting. I'll have to think on this. Something frenchy. :D