Saftey gear = good.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

Saftey gear = good.

Post by AxeYrCat »

The following link is to some fairly graphic pictures of a dude who was rear-ended while sitting still (or so I've read). Reportedly, he was hit at about 65 mph, and it knocked him right out of his shorty helmet.

He's okay, but he's obviously missing a good amount of skin...

Don't click this if you have a weak stomach:
http://www.vrccdev.com/punisher/bird/

BTW, the bike he was riding should look more like this:
http://www.motorsports-network.com/HOND ... linter.htm

Just somethin' to think about if you tend to ride without a jacket, gloves, or more than a shorty helmet...
Huh? What just happened?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Jebus thats freaking scary.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Yeah, it's a good idea when you're stopped to check your mirrors until the vehicle behind you has come to a stop.

If you're in a line of cars, it's good to stop off to the side of the lane rather than in the center directly behind the vehicle in front. Then, if the person behind you isn't stopping, you can go around the person in front and hopefully avoid any incidents.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

vitaminC wrote:Yeah, it's a good idea when you're stopped to check your mirrors until the vehicle behind you has come to a stop.

If you're in a line of cars, it's good to stop off to the side of the lane rather than in the center directly behind the vehicle in front. Then, if the person behind you isn't stopping, you can go around the person in front and hopefully avoid any incidents.
good advice.
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

Any recommendations for a good, durable jacket? I've got a full face helmet, but haven't picked up a jacket yet.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

If I have to make a left turn and there’s oncoming traffic causing me to sit there w/my arse hanging out I go to the next block or 2 where I can turn immediately and I make the left there, or if there’s ample time to re-position myself I’ll make a right instead, make a U-ie on the side street and cross perpendicular.
I think someone spoke of this similar maneuver in a prior post.

When you’re just at a light you pretty much need to do as VitC said.

I had a guy hit me in a line of cars last summer (I was in my car). Traffic backed up on a side street and I got about 8 or 10 car lengths btwn me and the guy behind. He had fallen asleep and then his foot hit the gas…… I saw him coming but nowhere for me to go.
If I’d have been on the scooter I would have had time to get out of the way (If I didn’t just freeze that is).
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

hermitgirl wrote:Any recommendations for a good, durable jacket? I've got a full face helmet, but haven't picked up a jacket yet.
Visit your local motorcycle shops and find something that fits well (around the Bay you have lots of choices!). Once you have an idea of what type/size you want, you may also consider shopping online to save a few $ (i.e., http://www.newenough.com ).

There is lots of good gear out there, just make sure that it fits well and you like the way it looks, as it offers very little protection while on the hanger!
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

After seeing the driver, I thought the bike would be a mass of metal, it held up surprisingly well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hermitgirl wrote:Any recommendations for a good, durable jacket? I've got a full face helmet, but haven't picked up a jacket yet.
There are a lot of options out there. I've figured out that I need 3 jackets for different seasons, even in LA where there are only 2 seasons (hah). So, I have a textile jacket which has a thermal vest and can be layered over or under a track jacket or parka. I've also got a solid leather jacket (from Johnson Leathers up there in the Bay Area). What I need is a mesh or lighter armored jacket for when the temps hit 85+. Even my vented textile gets pretty hot & sweaty at that point.
vitaminC wrote:Visit your local motorcycle shops and find something that fits well (around the Bay you have lots of choices!). Once you have an idea of what type/size you want, you may also consider shopping online to save a few $ (i.e., http://www.newenough.com ).
Careful. Last time I suggested this, I got a somewhat defensive response from a dealer. :)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Careful. Last time I suggested this, I got a somewhat defensive response from a dealer. :)
Well, that is totally reasonable, and I do try to support the local dealers when possible. However, if the local gear is too expensive, then I think it's better to buy online than ride without proper protective gear.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote:What I need is a mesh or lighter armored jacket for when the temps hit 85+. Even my vented textile gets pretty hot & sweaty at that point.
The key to staying cool in the summer is airflow, without that you will swelter regardless of your gear. So, take advantage of your small scoot and keep moving between all those stopped cars! 8)

Seriously, I've worn my barely vented Roadcrafter in temps over 100, and as long as we were moving it was fine, but stopping was mighty unpleasant!