no one wears riding gear here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pita1963

No one's wearing....

Post by Pita1963 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I saw this dude on some crazy crotchrocket yesterday going about 70mph past me... ALL HE HAD ON WAS SHORTS! no helmet, no shirt, nothin. I couldn't even think how dumb it was, I just kept looking out to see if he was gonna die or not. He kept looking back at me for some reason & honked @ me at the red light. He prolly thought I was checkin' him out or sumpthin, like I thought he was cool... the joke's on him! :shock: 8)
and the 2008 two-wheeled Darwin Award goes to....

Robb
The answer is : 42
sunshinen

Re: Helmet Preferances?

Post by sunshinen »

Pita1963 wrote:If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear? As a newbie, the owner of my scooter dealership suggested that I get a 3/4 helmet with a face shield for riding on highways, and a 1/2 helemt for inner city riding. Does this sound right?

Robb

:nerd:
I go with FF all the time. Somewhere out there, there is a diagram showing the number of impacts that occur on different areas of helmets, and the highest numbers were on the chin. It makes sense. You're moving forward... what direction are you going to go in if you come to an "unexpected" stop? And even if I'm just going 2 miles down a 35mph road, there's always some yahoo in a sports car who thinks it's fun to hit 70mph just because he can.

Here are some polls:
viewtopic.php?t=1139
viewtopic.php?t=75
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I use full face at all time, it makes me feel safer, plus it helps block out louder sounds and makes my ride more enjoyable. I can still hear people talk and road sounds, but they arent as loud and bothersome.
twharton

Post by twharton »

This chart shows in each section the percentage of injuries. That shows that the highest % of injuries (34%) are in the chin/jaw area.

Full face for me!

twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
Pita1963

Lots of info but....

Post by Pita1963 »

I posted this query in another thread, but it looked like it has been quiet for a bit so I thought I'd post here also: Do the f/f and modular helmets fit in the under seat storage compartment? That is a concern for me, since lugging a brain-bucket around is not really practicle for me....

Again, thanks for all the great info. This newbie is really learning a lot!!

Robb

jmazza

Re: Lots of info but....

Post by jmazza »

Pita1963 wrote:I posted this query in another thread, but it looked like it has been quiet for a bit so I thought I'd post here also: Do the f/f and modular helmets fit in the under seat storage compartment? That is a concern for me, since lugging a brain-bucket around is not really practicle for me....

Robb

many do, some don't. It depends on the helmet design and the size of the helmet.
MonsterGirl

Re: Lots of info but....

Post by MonsterGirl »

Pita1963 wrote:I posted this query in another thread, but it looked like it has been quiet for a bit so I thought I'd post here also: Do the f/f and modular helmets fit in the under seat storage compartment? That is a concern for me, since lugging a brain-bucket around is not really practicle for me....

Robb

Give it a try, but my old HJC size small did not fit under the seat well enough for it to latch. I could force it to latch or I'd just usually leave it unlatched while I went into the grocery store, so at least it wouldn't get wet in the rain. It wasn't a special helmet by any means and not attractive enough to make someone want to take it.

There is that little hook for attaching your helmet to if it doesn't fit under the seat. It then just hangs off the side of the scoot and is secured when your seat is latched.
jeketus

Post by jeketus »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
Pita1963 wrote:If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear?
I use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield always. It's perfect for me. I'm a total claustrophobe in a full-face & I don't feel safe in a half (plus I think they're goofy-lookin). The shield saved the left side of my face when I fell a little while back, always good to have that... I like the wind in my face & all, but I wear glasses & it's hard to find decent looking goggles that will fit over them. Plus I'm paranoid about bugs, pebbles, acorns, etc. hitting me in the face. :?
It's funny. I used to be the same way. I couldn't have a full-face helmet on for more than ten seconds without starting to panic. Then strangely, one day I tried one on and it felt right. Just totally comfortable. Now I wear nothing but.
The HJC I have has the graphics on it like it's meant to match up with the paint on some crotch rocket. I like it because I get even more crazy looks from people because of the crotch rocket helmet with a scooter. The more looks I get, the more fun it is!
twharton

Post by twharton »

jeketus wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:
Pita1963 wrote:If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear?
I use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield always. It's perfect for me. I'm a total claustrophobe in a full-face & I don't feel safe in a half (plus I think they're goofy-lookin). The shield saved the left side of my face when I fell a little while back, always good to have that... I like the wind in my face & all, but I wear glasses & it's hard to find decent looking goggles that will fit over them. Plus I'm paranoid about bugs, pebbles, acorns, etc. hitting me in the face. :?
It's funny. I used to be the same way. I couldn't have a full-face helmet on for more than ten seconds without starting to panic. Then strangely, one day I tried one on and it felt right. Just totally comfortable. Now I wear nothing but.
The HJC I have has the graphics on it like it's meant to match up with the paint on some crotch rocket. I like it because I get even more crazy looks from people because of the crotch rocket helmet with a scooter. The more looks I get, the more fun it is!
Me too Jeketus,

Those helmet in my avatar are for riders now. I found an AGV modular that fit's perfectly and that is what's important. I'm over the minor inconvenience of carrying a helmet / jacket. Plus I feel so good (and safer) when leaning into a sweeping... 8)
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
Apiarist

don't try this at home

Post by Apiarist »

don't get me wrong. if you choose not to wear protective gear, that's your call. i wear the gear.
was watching Leno last night and Bill Shatner was a guest. most of you probably know Leno is a big harley rider. turns out Shatner is too. Bill starts talking about how he rides his Harley on the CA freeway with no gear. shorts, tee, sandals, no helmet. and he talks about it like doing so is just a waste of time. he wiped out and something or other happened. i kind of dozed at Bill's monotone voice on the couch at that point. i wonder if Bill saw the proverbial protective gear light. anyone else see the interview?
I commute to work and wear mesh armor pants and jacket with fff helm. i pass motorcycle riders in the other lane with half helms only. they just shake their heads at me like i'm the anticool. one day maybe i will feel secure that the jacka55 talking on the phone in the SUV will always see me, but i don't hold my breath.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, let's get one thing straight: Shatner is crazy. His example should never be followed. Also, he frequently lies and exaggerates in interviews. Riding on CA freeways without a helmet? Be prepared to rack up thousands in fines pretty quickly.

Leno, BTW, rides with FF helmets (Shoei) and a leather jacket (probably not armored) most of the time. Oddly enough, the one video on his site (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/) that I saw in which he was not wearing a FF was the one where he was riding his only scooter, the Vectrix maxi.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just bough a FF for the new scooter.... dont mind wearing it at all... but up here, we do some snowmobiling & ya dont do that in a 3/4 & sunglasses... so I have been used to a FF since I was a kid.
Guess thats a good thing... but yeah, I sometimes worry I look goofy on a Rattler 50 & a FF - Especially with the 3 guys in my neighborhood with Harley's & NO helmets - maybe I am more worried about watching my kids grow up? Thats what I keep telling myself.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Especially with the 3 guys in my neighborhood with Harley's & NO helmets - maybe I am more worried about watching my kids grow up?
One of the guys on the MSF class just bought a Harley, has no experience other than the MSF and some dirt track 10 years ago. He was wearing a brand new half helmet and looked at my FF Modular with curiosity. So I asked him why the half helmet and he said that is the only thing that looked good on his Harley "You gotta look good, you know?". I was thinking, yeap, I want to look good now and when I am 80, and if my chin is still functioning so much the better! Nice guy, too. Hopefully he will never go down.

To each his own, I guess.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wore my modular all weekend with temps up to 90. I had the shield up some of the time, but overall it stayed pretty comfortable.

My jacket, though, well... It was not an ATGATT weekend. Time to see if NoHo Scooters has any Corazzo mesh jackets in stock.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

I'm planning on wearing a 3/4 helmet( size 2xl) with visor and a armored mesh jacket, pants ...etc. I remember my few wercks and a few close calls as a kid on my bike, the last one I went over the handle bars, landed on my head rolled and ended on my back unharmed. On scooter or cycle knowning my luck not so lucky I think. Why a 3/4 helm, I have a thing about being able to hear my surroundings..etc Living here in Chattanooga humitiy gets ungodly foul, so I'll deal with it and lose weight.. :lol:
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

Well , I ended up going with an HCI 3/4 w/ face shield ( which I got from the dealer) and my f/f ZOX will arrive by mail on Monday...

Robb

Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I was very happy to be wearing my Fulmer FF, First Gear mesh jacket, heavy denim jeans, and my very last pair of issue US Army boots (dated 10-89) when I got run into the curb by an SUV and went rolling down the grassy median at 35 mph. I don't argue with my BIL the Harley rider about helmets. He did get upset when I told him I considered gearing up evidence of natural selection.

Yeah, it gets hot in Oklahoma in the summer, but it's cool in the mornings on the way to work. I'll sweat going home. NBD.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Christy

Post by Christy »

jmazza wrote:The helmet I have is a KBC VR1 (mine is just black, not any crazy design though) and I love it. It's a pretty low-priced full face helmet with good ratings. It's decently quiet (though I don't have anything to compare it to) and fits my huge egg noggin well.
I wear this same helmet in silver...I wanted black but they didn't have it in a small, so silver it is.

i love it, btw. it's comfortable, warm in the winter and comfortable in the summer.