Lusting for the Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lusting for the Blur

Post by 360 »

So, I went down to my local scooter dealership (in Chicago) with interest in the Buddy 125 and the Blur 150. Since I don't have a motorcycle license I could only test out the Buddy 50...and I was later ridden on the Blur.

Until saturday i've never ridden a scooter...but I really want the Blur based on reviews, feedback, etc. and I want something I can eventually do some traveling with (beyond the city limits).

So, my question... do you think being a beginning rider the Blur may be taking on more than I can handle? (please say no! haha)

I only rode the Buddy 50 around a few blocks, but became accustomed to it rather fast. I'm hoping with about half an hour practicing in the parking lot, I can at least get the Blur home (ha).

what's the verdict?

thanks for any input.
ctpaddler2000

Re: Lusting for the Blur

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

360 wrote:So, my question... do you think being a beginning rider the Blur may be taking on more than I can handle?
Absolutely not!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

If you're the sort of person who would worry about it being too much for you to handle, you'll be smart enough not to do anything stupid... right? :lol:

I think you'd be fine.
Huh? What just happened?
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Not too mention the Brakes on the Blur, and it's general handling will go a long way towards getting you out of any trouble you get into.
ctpaddler2000

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

If you can ride a 50cc, then you can ride a 150cc. What scares me is when "kids" jump up to something really powerful like a Hayabusa.

dru_

Post by dru_ »

Oh I don't know. I just went from a weak 150 to a strong 250 and find the throttle to be a little more 'twitchy' as in it's awful easy to twitch it and go from zero to omigod quicker than anticipated.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

dru_ wrote:Oh I don't know. I just went from a weak 150 to a strong 250 and find the throttle to be a little more 'twitchy' as in it's awful easy to twitch it and go from zero to omigod quicker than anticipated.
But it doesn't end up flipping over when you do that like a 'Busa would. :wink: :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
dru_

Post by dru_ »

there is that, not too mention, the Roethlesberger incident.... wasn't that Busa ?

Post by 360 »

Yeah of couuuuurse I'd be careful! Hee hee
Nah I'm not a huge fan of pain, so I wouldn't push too hard until... Ver gradually.

Thank you all, your confirmation is music to my ears! Ha

Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Agreed with the advice that if you can handle a 50 then you can handle a 150. Get your learn on with a rider course, learn how your bike reacts in as many situations as possible, then enjoy it. I got my start on a 150 and am glad I did.
- Bryce
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

360, you got more of my opinion than you probably wanted on the chicago list today, but I'll say it again, it'd be a good bike for a beginner as long as it fits you well, physically, where you feel comfortable on it.

I happen to think that the size and speed of the Blur (and other scooters of similar size and displacement) is the perfect combination for a scooter, especially in the city. I guess m/c people call it power-to-weight ratio. It's not so small or light that it feels unsafe or "toylike" but not so big and heavy that it's hard to handle. Plus it's fast enough (and quick enough off the line) to very comfortably move with traffic without idling at 55 like a touring scooter.

As others have said, 1500cc is too much for a beginner (or anyone, really). If you're unsure if scootering is for you, maybe it makes more sense to buy a 50cc and save some money, but 150cc is not unreasonable, most new scooterists I know who've bought 50cc bikes end up derestricting them, kitting them, or trading up within a year, starting at 150 (or a Buddy 125, which is nearly as fast, actually) is a smarter plan if you think you'll ride enough to make the extra investment pay off.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.

Post by 360 »

illnoise wrote:360, you got more of my opinion than you probably wanted on the chicago list today...
Hey wasup man,
haha, nah all of your comments were very helpful. thanks again.

Like I said, I'll try to look at some others, but I'm already kinda becoming set on that one. :twisted:

my only issue is that it's very new (here at least)
Hypermotarded

Post by Hypermotarded »

As a reasonably experienced sales guy I have got to say: the blur is going to be far safer than the average first bike most people buy. True it is large for a scooter. True it is fast for a scooter. True it is one of the most aggressive vehicles, for a scooter, you can get right now but...the key words are "for a scooter".

It's still a twist and go, so there are not a lot of unfamiliar controls you have to learn to opperate. Though it is powerful, the power is delivered in a smooth enough manner that I am not worried about you reving into a peaky part of the powerband in a corner and sliding the rear wheel. The brades are powerful enough to get you out of trouble, but I'd be shocked if you could flip the thing with them. Likewise, it'll be pretty hard to wheelie a stock blur.

I'd feel perfectly happy selling the blur as a first bike and I've gotta say: if that is the way your heart is leading you-go for it. Heart and brain can agree on this one. It's a great scoot.
Ducati Seattle is at your service. If you have buddy questions or needs, call me at (206) 298-9995. Keep the rubber side down out there kids.