Break In Period

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

showtime2100

Break In Period

Post by showtime2100 »

I know I'm supposed to be breaking in the new bike. I'm trying not to break 50 mph and not even throttle at 50 for long periods of time...Is that sufficient for my 1st break in period?
RIDIN HIGH!!!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Break In Period

Post by illnoise »

showtime2100 wrote:I know I'm supposed to be breaking in the new bike. I'm trying not to break 50 mph and not even throttle at 50 for long periods of time...Is that sufficient for my 1st break in period?
yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable, that's pretty much what I did.

Probably the reason no one answered you sooner is that there's a lot of disagreement, some people argue that torturing it is actually better than taking it easy, and there's a lot of confusion over the mileage units (is it miles, km, or "Blur Distance Units" which is what we call the odometer reading, which varies by model year, if not bike to bike.

I'd say just take it easy for a while and use common sense, and you'll be fine. you just don't want to make the engine work too hard, and you want to vary the throttle as much as possible.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
showtime2100

Post by showtime2100 »

as far as the odometer. I count mine as BDU'S. For mine I believe 1.4 BDU's equals about 1 mile. I'm following the manual's break in period..its in mph. What I'm thinking is it really means BDU's since it is according to the Blur's odometer.
RIDIN HIGH!!!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yep, IIRC, the manual says 'miles," the sticker on the headset says "KM" and the odometer is neither, so going by BDUs is what most of us are doing.

You have a 2006 (orange)? My mileage seems to be about 1.4 BDU to 1 mile too. It sounds like the 2007 (black) odometers are different maybe.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
beelzebubbles

Re: Break In Period

Post by beelzebubbles »

illnoise wrote:
showtime2100 wrote:I know I'm supposed to be breaking in the new bike. I'm trying not to break 50 mph and not even throttle at 50 for long periods of time...Is that sufficient for my 1st break in period?
yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable, that's pretty much what I did.

Probably the reason no one answered you sooner is that there's a lot of disagreement, some people argue that torturing it is actually better than taking it easy, and there's a lot of confusion over the mileage units (is it miles, km, or "Blur Distance Units" which is what we call the odometer reading, which varies by model year, if not bike to bike.

I'd say just take it easy for a while and use common sense, and you'll be fine. you just don't want to make the engine work too hard, and you want to vary the throttle as much as possible.
When I got mine new, I babied it per manual instructions. Then at the scooter shop they told me to "beat the sh*t out of it", which I've proceeded to do since. Now I can't tell if my scooter is better for the schizophrenic treatment :)
showtime2100

Post by showtime2100 »

I have a 2007 Black & Grey Blur...I heard the BDU's were supposed to be better on my 2007 edition. I guess not mine. Pics coming soon
RIDIN HIGH!!!
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Yeah I'm ascribing to the "ride it like you stole it" method of break-in based on what I've read online. I'm avoiding WOT and trying to vary the throttle as much as is practical, but otherwise I'm accelerating hard. I'm also letting it engine brake down hills if I can and letting the trip up the hill put some good load on the engine. That ought to seat those rings nicely. The hard thing to do is resist the temptation to just hop on it and only ride for ten minutes and then put it away again. I just keep getting that urge. I'd ride it 'round the house if I could. Ha ha!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Christy

Post by Christy »

NathanielSalzman wrote:Yeah I'm ascribing to the "ride it like you stole it" method of break-in based on what I've read online. I'm avoiding WOT and trying to vary the throttle as much as is practical, but otherwise I'm accelerating hard. I'm also letting it engine brake down hills if I can and letting the trip up the hill put some good load on the engine. That ought to seat those rings nicely. The hard thing to do is resist the temptation to just hop on it and only ride for ten minutes and then put it away again. I just keep getting that urge. I'd ride it 'round the house if I could. Ha ha!
ditto every single thing he said. I'm doing exactly that.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I ride in my neighborhood with lots of stop signs, lots of vary throttle there, constant stopping, and constant acceleration. I try to just let go of the throttle sometimes too and then just speed up. Buddy seems to ride fine from 0 to 45 mph.

I rode my fathers today for the heck of it, I cant ride anymore on my bike since my temp plates expired. I get them on saturday, so I can ride then. His bike having lower miles, it felt like the throttle kept turning on and off when going 40, it couldnt hold it, so I rode at 35 the whole time and it ran fine.