Rattler 110 or Burgman 400?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

FLMINI1048

Rattler 110 or Burgman 400?

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Ok, here's a comparison I'm sure you don't see often. I'm debating between a Rattler 110 (~$2600 + set up) or a used 2007 Burgman 400 with 1,100 miles for $4K. Not really sure which way to go with this.

I'll be using it strictly for commuting. I'm in law school and no longer have time to actually ride for fun like I used to. The only riding I get to do now is commuting...at least for the next year and a 1/4. As far as size goes, I'm 6'3, 285lbs.

I'm guessing the Rattler is much more nimble than the Burgman but the Burgman has more power and, very importantly, storage space. If it could hold a briefcase, that woud be wonderful. Can the Rattler fit a good sized briefcase in it? I've ridden the Burgman many times and loved it. I don't have a Genuine dealer within 1.5 hours of me so I haven't even seen one in person. But I love the idea of a reliable, fast 2 stroke scooter.

Ok, fire away....thank you!!
Have a great day!

Mike
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

the way it sounds to me go with the burgman but look at the buddy 125 or better the 150cc or the kymco poeple 250 .
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rattler 110 or Burgman 400?

Post by jrsjr »

FLMINI1048 wrote:Can the Rattler fit a good sized briefcase in it?
I have some questions for you first.

1) Can the Burgman fit a good sized briefcase in it? I really don't know, can it?

2) What is your commute like? Would you have to take an alternate route to avoid freeways or Interstates in order to make the commute on the Rattler?

3) Are you 100% certain there will never be an occasion when you really would want to get out of town on the scooter?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

A breifcase will not fit in the Rattler anywhere. You could get the rear rack if you wanted to. Wind protection is very limited on the Rattler too. I can't say what it's like to ride the Burg, the Rattler is a hoot :lol: But you can tell it was not designed as an uber commuter.
EZPZ #65
FLMINI1048

Re: Rattler 110 or Burgman 400?

Post by FLMINI1048 »

jrsjr wrote: I have some questions for you first.

1) Can the Burgman fit a good sized briefcase in it? I really don't know, can it?

2) What is your commute like? Would you have to take an alternate route to avoid freeways or Interstates in order to make the commute on the Rattler?

3) Are you 100% certain there will never be an occasion when you really would want to get out of town on the scooter?
1. Yes. I don't remember the number exactly but it's somewhere around a 55-60 liter trunk

2. Commute is 14 miles on 4-6 lane surface streets. No need to avoid freeways although speeds on the surface streets are often in the 55-60 mph range.

3. I am absolutely positive that I will not be leaving town on a scooter within the next 1.5 years. Along with law school, we are expecting a new little baby in July. Yep, I won't be going much of anywhere for a long, long time :)

Great questions....thanks for your help!
Have a great day!

Mike
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I'd go Burg for that ride. The Rattler will be flat out at 55, it's geared for destroying back roads and pulling wheelies etc not cruising at over 50mph. I love my Rattler but I know what it's not built for 8)
EZPZ #65
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Based on your commute I too would go for the Burgman. I think on the Rattler you would feel like a fly waiting to be swalloed by the next Mongoburban.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Mongoburban LXi AWD with active flux capaciting dampers no less :P
EZPZ #65
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

There are several reasonable alternatives to the Burgman for a longer, higher speed commute. I would not think the Rattler 110 would be one of them.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Me being a genuine lover I'd say the rattler/buddy. But since you are very tall, I think the burgman is a much better bike for your body size.
Scootnva

Post by Scootnva »

I own both a Burgman and a Buddy - love them both - but they are like having a wife and a mistress.

If you have the extra cash - go for the Burgman.

Ride On
C-O-E-X-I-S-T
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Scootnva wrote:I own both a Burgman and a Buddy - love them both - but they are like having a wife and a mistress.
Okay, I gotta ask. Which is which?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I dunno about y'all, but the Buddy is my poolboy. :twisted:
ModBud #442
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I can't think of any other 2 scoots that are totally at the opposite sides of the spectrum. It's not good comparison.

My suggestion: Get 'em both.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

vespa gts 250
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Sunil wrote:vespa gts 250
HAHA!! Now that's funny...for the price of the GTS, I could get the Rattler adn the Burgman!
Have a great day!

Mike
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

HAHA!! Now that's funny...for the price of the GTS, I could get the Rattler adn the Burgman!
Lol, true. I was thinking a used one but it might still cost more. Actually the retail price of a new Burgman is only 50 less then a new GTS.

Answering your actual question I think you would be much happier with the burg for its size, speed and stability.