Buddy 150 or SYM HD 200

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jobull

Buddy 150 or SYM HD 200

Post by Jobull »

I've decided to get a new scooter. I think it's down to a Buddy 150 or a SYM HD 200. Are there any opinions on which would be a better choice.

I'll be using it for commuting about 35 miles a day with speeds up to 55 mph.

thanks
08 SYM HD 200 (1600 Miles going strong)
07 Black Cat (Sold)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think the buddy is great, and the 150 is probably a bit peppier in acceleration. I saw the sym 200 today, looks like a nice bike, but it just doesnt have the scooter feel to it in my opinion. Bigger bikes remind me of giant touring motorcycles.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Check out the web site, www.justgottascoot.com. Dave did a road test on the SYM 200. It tested out very well. Good Luck shopping.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm fond of both scooters, but they really are different. I don't know physically how much bigger the HD200 is than the Buddy, but it certainly gives the appearance of being bigger because it has 16 inch wheels compared to the 10 inch wheels on the Buddy. That gives the HD more motorcycle-like handling compared to the Buddy which is more maneuverable around town (the most maneuverable scooter I've ever ridden). So, it depends. I haven't raced them side-by-side, but I've been told repeatedly that the HD200 is speedy (It's actually a 171cc motor) and handles well. The fit and finish of the Buddy is better.

You say your commute is 38 miles each day? I assume you mean 19 miles each way, right? That's kind of a longish commute. Hmm... If this were my decision, it would boil down to two things: 1) Are both these bikes being sold by the same dealer? If not, which dealer is better? 2) My instinctive preference for larger wheels, especially on a long commute where you are likely at some point to encounter some kind of road-obstacle (pothole/squirrel/rock/debris) that the HD's larger wheels might handle better. And the extra power of the HD would be a factor for me on a long commute. I mean, there might come a time when you want to speed it up a little, you know? :wink:

So, if you have the world's greatest Genuine dealer vs a SYM dealer you don't like, you might want to go for the Buddy. You can't go too far wrong with a Buddy because they seem to be holding their resale value better than many other scooters. If the Buddy wears you out on that commute, you could always trade up. On the other hand, if it's the same or equal dealer situations, again, if it were my decision, for the commute you describe, I'd go for the HD200.

Sorry for the BW. Hope I didn't make your decision harder.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

don't know what the roads will be like where you are, but here 55 mph means 65. so far i've maxed to 65 mph on my buddy 150cc, but i wouldn't want to push it like that every day.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I was in your exact position one year ago - ok, I guess I wasn't in your exact position, that'd be just creepy - and I ended up with the SYM.

Three things made up my mind:

1. The better half expressed an interest in riding along, and the SYM is much more suited to two-up riding than the Buddy. Especially when the lesser half is already on the, uh, er larger size.

2. One day I was in the Genuine shop and a strong late afternoon light came through the window and landed directly on the front panel of the Buddy. The front panel is translucent and for some reason that image stuck with me, but not in a good way. The SYM (maybe because it's water cooled and thus has at least two layers up front) seems more solid.

3. My feet couldn't fit flat on the Buddy floorboard, but do on the SYM. That could be a trivial matter for most, but remember, I didn't like the sun shining through the front panel!

One year and 8000Km later, I am satisfied with my choice. It has good power; 60mph leaves plenty of throttle left, mine tops out at an indicated 75, and it feels like it could cruise at 60 all day. At that speed it is very stable, not twitchy at all.

It is big compared to the Buddy, and jrsjr is right, the big wheels make the lesser road hazards less, well, hazardous. But at lower speeds I'm sure the Buddy handles better with its 10" wheels.

On the other hand, there are regulars here (Keys and Lou76 come to mind) who have put 10-15 thousand miles, not Kms, on their Buddys in the same time I've had my HD. You can't argue with those numbers.

Bottom line? I need company, get the HD200! :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Will you be doing any freeway riding? If so, get the SYM.

Yes, a lot of people ride their Buddys on the freeway. But it just doesn't have the power for the kind of traffic and speeds for doing this safely in SoCal.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i have zero experience on this, but based on what i can figure out from threads here, there seem to be performance upgrades you can make to the Buddy that will increase its velocity. just another puzzle piece.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I traded down from a Kymco People 250 (very close to a SYM 200) to a Buddy 125. I commute 20 miles each way to work and ride it a bit on the weekend. I do run it on the freeway, alot, with the throttle pegged most everyday. But now the girlfriend wants to ride on the back and I find myself looking at a SYM 200 also. The Buddy is just a bit to cozy for two.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sc00ter wrote:I traded down from a Kymco People 250 (very close to a SYM 200) to a Buddy 125. I commute 20 miles each way to work and ride it a bit on the weekend. I do run it on the freeway, alot, with the throttle pegged most everyday. But now the girlfriend wants to ride on the back and I find myself looking at a SYM 200 also. The Buddy is just a bit to cozy for two.
That's my major concern with a 125/150 scoot on the freeway—you have to ride WOT. That severely limits your options when confronted with a potential hazard or problem. On the open highway, maybe not such a big deal. On congested LA freeways, where traffic is heavy even at 70mph, it could be a big deal.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Oh, I agree. Even here in Virginia it gets crazy. When I bought my Buddy last year the only shop that I trusted sold Genuine. Now they sell the SYM line and on top of that I tired of waiting forever for parts from Genuine. So the SYM is looking like a logical upgrade. BUT, I dont have a payment book on the Genuine. Only time and money will tell I guess.
Jobull

Post by Jobull »

Well, I did it! I upgraded from my Black Cat to a HD 200. :D

Thank you all for helping me make a great choice.
08 SYM HD 200 (1600 Miles going strong)
07 Black Cat (Sold)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Congrats! Please let us know what you think of it after you lived with it for awhile.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jobull wrote:Well, I did it! I upgraded from my Black Cat to a HD 200. :D

Thank you all for helping me make a great choice.
Congratulations! Hope you like it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus