Blur sputters and dies first few minutes after kick-start

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

beelzebubbles

Blur sputters and dies first few minutes after kick-start

Post by beelzebubbles »

I started kick-starting my Blur. I've begun to notice that, in the first few blocks I ride it, it sometimes dies (engine shuts off) at a stop. I think the RPM's going below 2K. If I manage to ride it past the first few minutes, it seems to work just fine.

It's a little brisk here in San Francisco recently, but we're talking low 50's, so I don't think it's temperature related...

I think I read an explanation for something like this, but I don't remember. Does anyone know, and is my Blur messed up somewhere?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Was it sitting for a long time without riding? Sounds like maybe the carb is gummed up. Or the throttle cable has stretched over time and needs adjustment.

Might have something to do with the automatic choke, too, (would start OK but give you problems once it's warmed up) but I don't know much about how that works.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Beelzebubbles,
I would for sure discard the temps. I have been riding for two weeks and it has always been below 45 (this morning was 35).

I am going with Illnoise's guess.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

Mine does the same thing if I don't let it warm up first. If I let it idle for a few minutes, it doesn't seem to be problem.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I should have mentioned that also.
I always warm up my Blur a couple of minutes, plus is sleeps in an insulated (not heated) garage.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Thanks for the quick reponses! :)

I usually let the engine warm up for a minute or two while I put on my helmet and gloves. This mostly to be nice to the engine.

It died on me once again on the way to work, just 3-4 blocks away from home. It seems like if I give it some throttle then brake hard at a stop, it's more likely to sputter and die, at least in the first few blocks. If I go gently on the throttle and brake lightly, I don't feel the RPMs going down as drastically. But I haven't had a chance to test this impression yet (I will on my way back home tonight).

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:It seems like if I give it some throttle then brake hard at a stop, it's more likely to sputter and die
that's pretty weird, normally it'd stall as you rev, not as you brake. I guess it could still be the carb, or maybe an electrical problem. Take it in for warranty service, that' the kind of thing a dealer can troubleshoot a lot easier than you can.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

oh, i thought this was a thread on blur sales.....