blur brakes

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slowpoke

blur brakes

Post by slowpoke »

I was riding to work today when a stoplight changed to yellow. Iwas doing about 30 -35mph and maybe 50-75 feet till the intersection. So, I stopped. Thanks to msf I also looked in my rearview. The guy behind me apparently thought I would zip across and I saw him barreling down on me . I goosed the throttle and made it to the shoulder as he stopped beside me even at my left heel. He's all like what did I stop for and I'm thinking someone in the cross traffic would make a right turn in front of just a scooter . anyway ... are the blur brakes that much better ? :x
itcardoc

brakes

Post by itcardoc »

Hi there, the brakes on the Blur are very good , but I'll bet if you check the brake light, it doesn't come on until you pull very hard on the brake levers! This is something that I want to modify , but havn't gotten to it yet. The lever switches need to be modified/adjusted to make the brake lights come on under light braking. This could almost be a RECALL situation! -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

OK, so I remember this post and looked to see when the brake light comes on and it does take quite a pull on the brake.

Itcardoc, did you or anyone else ever figure out how to adjust it so it comes up with just a slight touch of the brake levers?
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Corsair

Re: brakes

Post by Corsair »

itcardoc wrote:Hi there, the brakes on the Blur are very good , but I'll bet if you check the brake light, it doesn't come on until you pull very hard on the brake levers! This is something that I want to modify , but havn't gotten to it yet. The lever switches need to be modified/adjusted to make the brake lights come on under light braking. This could almost be a RECALL situation! -Kevin
wow... I never noticed that on the blur... I'll have to give my brother the heads up. If anyone figures out a solution definitely let me know.

(way off topic but itcardoc, what the heck happened in your avatar?!)
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that brake light switch. I'll be sure to check that out on my Blur. That's bad mojo 'cause it don't take much brake at all to get the Blur to stop very quickly. If the light's not coming on without a really hard pull, that's bad stuff. I'm checking the service manual right now to see if there's anything in there about it.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Nathaniel,
let us know if you come up with something. I looked, but could not find any kind of adjustment for the light switch.

D.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not sure if all Blurs' have this problem because the brake lights on mine come on with just a slight pull on the brake levers.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

is it a 2006 or 2007?

D.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

EP_scoot wrote:is it a 2006 or 2007?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

So is mine. So either there is an adjustment and yours are set to go on earlier, or "slight" has a different meaning to you than it does to me.

D.
itcardoc

brake lights and avatar

Post by itcardoc »

Sorry, I still havn't gotten around to modifying the brake light switch mounts to get them adjusted so they come on with less than a HARD stop type of pull. Will post when that happens. Also the AVATAR pic for my posts is a VERY high speed crash of a Ferrari Enzo in Italy. These cars do 0-60 in 3.2 sec and 1/4 mile in 11.1 sec. ,topspeed around 215 or so ! -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Sick that the Nissan GT-R will do 3.3 to 60 and a 11.7 quarter mile for $73k
EZPZ #65
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

EP_scoot wrote:So is mine. So either there is an adjustment and yours are set to go on earlier, or "slight" has a different meaning to you than it does to me.
The brake light comes on when the end of the brake lever moves about 1/4". It comes on before the brake pads actually engage.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

nissanman wrote:Sick that the Nissan GT-R will do 3.3 to 60 and a 11.7 quarter mile for $73k
Not knocking the GT-R or anything, but there's a lot of cars that cost less than a Ferrari but have more creature comforts and may be as fast or faster. One could also say that tofu is better for you than steak, but most people (other than vegetarians) would prefer steak. :D
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

That's a real short list... The new ZR1... 911TT... wait, those are all over $100k. Hey a Ferrari will always be a Ferrari, a Lambo will always be a Lambo. And at least for now Nissan does have the World's Fastest production car available. If I want to be seen in a car gimme the $250,000 you can't have one GT, if it's speed and enough $$$ left to buy replacement tires and brakes I'll take the GT-R. Now if Toyota would bring the Supra back we could all have some real fun :shock:
EZPZ #65
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Heck, I think there's a few small countries that cost less than a Ferrari :cry:
EZPZ #65
NathanielSalzman

I checked my brake light actuation yesterday and it seems like they indeed don't come on until there's some real pressure on the brakes, though I do think it's in a spot where the brakes themselves are just starting to truly engage. So I think the moral of the story is to be sure to truly engage a brake when slowing down and not rely on gentle handle pressure to engage the brake light. I've taken to braking first with my rear brake for the sake of the light coming on, then adding the front when it comes time to actually stop - balancing the actual braking force between the two.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I wish it would come with just a very slight touch so I can do the flashing of the brake before starting to actually brake. I find myself into a little jerky tap-tap-tap-tap before fully braking, but it is kind off annoying. That is the only way I am certain the light is coming on.

D.
showtime2100

Post by showtime2100 »

I feel you EP_scoot. I do the samething in order to flash my brakes. I find that one of my brakes is more sensitive than the other...I tested them after reading this. I forgot which one is (front or rear) knowing this allows me to believe that even when I'm breaking slightly that it may still be coming on sometimes.
RIDIN HIGH!!!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I am thinking in adding a rear brake modulator because of this.
Hmmmmm

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I asked my dealer about it. There HAS to be a way to adjust when the switch connects, I've never seen a scooter or motorcycle without an adjustable switch.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
NathanielSalzman

illnoise wrote:I asked my dealer about it. There HAS to be a way to adjust when the switch connects, I've never seen a scooter or motorcycle without an adjustable switch.

Bryan
Yeah, I would be very surprised if it weren't adjustable. I just haven't had time to look deeper into it.