Top case or Saddle bags?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

Top case or Saddle bags?

Post by tempalte »

I am thinking about adding a top case or saddle bags to my blur. Right now when I want to carry stuff, I tie down a milk crate to the rear rack. I'm looking to upgrade to something nicer looking.

Anyone have thoughts on which looks better? I saw the picture of the top case on the cannonball blur. I didn't really like how it looked, so I am leaning toward saddle bags.

Anyone have a picture of their blur with saddle bags? I mainly carry lightweight stuff like shoes/clothes or two bags of groceries. I don't need lockable storage.

Anyone have any thoughts on which looks best and which is more pratical?

thanks
chad
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think the topcase looks silly, too, it just doesn't "go" with the bike. Plus it's hard to throw your leg over the back with a topcase (or saddle bags) on.

I saw the Givi saddle bags on a Blur at Scooterworks, and they looked pretty cool, though again, there's the leg problem, and they'd probably slow you down a bit because they're not very aerodynamic...

I have a Givi center channel bag that was designed (I think) for the Sliverwing, it's great. We talked about it a lot here:

topic1076.html

In the first few photos, it's on backwards, look at the photos towards the bottom, those show it better, and show how it mounts.

If you don't want to do the velcro, it seems perfectly solid strapped through the suspension peephole, as long as you're not carrying a bowling ball or something.

It's not huge, but between that and the underseat storage, it gives you decent storage for a weekend trip, maybe you'd need a backpack too if you needed to dress up nice for dinner.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Yeah a topcase looks über goofy on the Blur. I'm tall enough to be able to step over the tank, so I'm leaning toward saddlebags myself. Although there's also this Givi tailbag:

http://www.motostrano.com/git4rorata.html

The set of saddlebags I'm most interested in are these:

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/produ ... ePack.html

They don't look like much, but Alix B. rode them 11,000+ miles on her Buddy for her P.E.A.C.E. Scooter ride. A lot of the bigger GIVI saddlebags just don't mount well on these smaller scoots.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I had forgot about the tank bag. I may look at one and see if it has enough room.

NathanielSalzman, if you get some saddle bags, please post some pictures.
NathanielSalzman

Will do. Those bags will probably go on the wife's Buddy first, but I'll throw them on the Blur too and see how they do.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I have the top case, tank bag and side bags (all Givi) for my Blur.

I think best bet for increased storage is top case, because you can easily remove it with a simple turn of the key. I often leave it on, but if I transfer the top case to my other scooter, or I just don't want it, I can leave it easily. Also, for reluctant passengers, top case seems like a back rest and gives them a sense of better security (at least for those who are afraid they'll let go at some point! :) ).

The tank bag - once you strap it down to the scoot it will be a bit of a hassle to keep removing it, if you don't trust people not to try to mess with it. Top cases are more secure in that way. Also, the tank bag is smaller. Also, every once in a while, the tank bag shifts on me (I don't have it velcro'd on) and brushes against the key, turning it off. If I remember to keep the bag away from the key it's not a problem, but if the tank bag is overfilled, it becomes something to be aware of.

Saddle bags - I rarely put them on my scooter. Reason is, usually the combination of top case, underseat storage and tank bag is plenty for most grocery shopping (I usually have a backpack by then, too). Saddle bags are unsecure like the tank bag (anyone can unzip it and take its contents), and also make it difficult/impossible for a passenger. Also, it makes the scooter fatter, which makes my lane sharing (here in California, it's legal) less certain.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

Does your tank bag have magnets in the base? (for that matter, is the gas tank even metal).

Online it looks like most tank bag use magnets to hold them down.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

tempalte wrote:Does your tank bag have magnets in the base? (for that matter, is the gas tank even metal).

Most do, but the ones specifically made for scooters don't, because there's nothing metal in that area, even that strip of "exposed frame" that's orange on the 06 Blur is really just plastic.

Look at that thread linked above for a few mounting options. I just used the velcro that came with the Givi Silverwing bag, and I run the strap through the hole where you can see the shock spring. Even with a heavy load, that's worked fine for me, though it did slip around a little with a heavy load before I added the velcro.

bb.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

tempalte wrote:Does your tank bag have magnets in the base? (for that matter, is the gas tank even metal).

I'm using the bag mentioned by illnoise earlier - topic1076.html

This one you can keep in place by straps and also velcro. I don't use the velcro option, since my Blur would grow a five o'clock shadow when I take the bag off :) Then again it's a hassle to put the bag on and off all the time, so I just leave it. The straps keep the bag in place pretty well, maybe not for heavy, unbalanced things, but I usually just stow my helmet bag, light groceries, small take outs, etc.

Keep in mind, you want to be able to take the bag off somewhat easily, since it's right over the gas lid.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:Keep in mind, you want to be able to take the bag off somewhat easily, since it's right over the gas lid.
Yeah, that's a good point! It's a bit of a drag.

I wish the tank was a little bigger. But most scooters have pretty tiny tanks these days.

Bb.
showtime2100

Post by showtime2100 »

I wish the tank was bigger too. I find myself really riding only a gallon out before I fill up because the reserve tank is about a gallon and I usally fill up when it says its on E.
RIDIN HIGH!!!
NathanielSalzman

I love the small tank 'cause I get a kick out of putting gas in it. Doing a "fill up" for all of $4.00 just entertains me to no end. I laugh inside my helmet every time I pass a gas station and especially every time I see an SUV!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Until you go on a long trip and you have 20 pump receipts for $3.80 and you have to stop every 80 miles to fill up. I carry a little MSR camp stove fuel bottle on long trips so I don't need to stop as often or be paranoid about reserve.

Bryan
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I am confused . . . the tank is 2 gallons (7.5 Liters).
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
NathanielSalzman

illnoise wrote:Until you go on a long trip and you have 20 pump receipts for $3.80 and you have to stop every 80 miles to fill up. I carry a little MSR camp stove fuel bottle on long trips so I don't need to stop as often or be paranoid about reserve.

Bryan
That's a really good idea, and yeah, filling up every 100 miles would be annoying on a long trip, but I won't be doing Cannball this year or anything. I do want to take a longer trip at some point and camp out, but overall I prefer to revel in the scooter's urban transport perfection.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

yeah, but the gauge say "E" when it's half full, which is frustrating. If only they'd got the gauges right, this would be a great scoot, heh?

Bb.
NathanielSalzman

illnoise wrote:yeah, but the gauge say "E" when it's half full, which is frustrating. If only they'd got the gauges right, this would be a great scoot, heh?

Bb.
Ha ha! Indeed, what's up with the gauges on this thing. My gas gauge seems to be decently accurate. Last time I filled up, it was just on E (it's supposed to have a liter left) and I put in about 1.4 gallons which seems about right. Hopefully that doesn't change with time.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

OK, I gotcha. Yes, my gauge also says E when there is at lesat .75 gallons left. Very frustrating indeed.

I missed my reserve valve that I had on my other bikes. I wonder why don't they do the same with scooters? It is such a nice piece of mind.

Or at least add an trip odometer with a reset button. That way at least you could set it to zero on every fill up and you would know how many MDSUCKBNRO (Mistery Distance Scooter Units Could be Kilometers But Nobody Really Knows) you can go on a tank.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

EP_scoot wrote:you would know how many MDSUCKBNRO you can go on a tank.
Well, it would vary depending on your load and your riding style. : )

Most modern scooters have a fuel light rather than reserve, which is actually safer, since you don't have to run out of gas and flip a switch and restart the engine while you're rolling at 60mph. Some G-maxes have them, too, but the 150 has the oil light where the gas warning light is , IIRC.

Bb.