Just bought Rattler 50 today!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

Just bought Rattler 50 today!

Post by ScootLemont »

Hey everyone... Just bough a new 2006 Rattler 50 today (the dealer had been sitting on it & I got a great deal)
Prima pipe & a few other enhancements from the dealer
- I had it up to 40mph in the test drive (they say it will do 50)
It is being delivered on Tuesday & I cant wait (weather is going to be bad till then anyway)
This thing is so much more fun then the other 50cc's I test drove & it rides a lot smoother.
Any advice for the new guy?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I don't really have any advice, just congrats! :mrgreen: Have fun!
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

congrats.

how much did they upgrade it? pipe and weights?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

prima pipe, rollers, weights, and stage 1 jet kit is what he said. (I am not a scooter expert)
I am not even sure what rollers / weights are...
It sounded like a complete kit from someplace... prima maybe?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

oh yeah... & some spring... what ever that is for
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

except for the pipe, it's all internal clutch and carb stuff. but wow....sounds like you got a good deal on a kitted scoot already. nice.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

It was delivered this afternoon - having a blast running it around town & getting used to it
It only hit 59 here today so a little chilly... but we are looking at 71 for tomorrow.
Still cant get the goofy grin off my face.
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

59, dang, i wish it were that warm here. keep riding for those of us who are still suffering low 40's and sideways rain. :cry:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Alaska???!
So you ride a scooter in your "summer" Do you ride a sled the rest of the year? 2 Stroke Sled? - got to love the smell of 2 stroke year round.
(yes I realize not everyone in Alaska owns snowmobiles but as the owner of a couple of mid 90's Polaris & a "classic" 81 John Deere Trailfire 440, the idea of riding sleds in Alaska is pretty appealing.)
Hang in there... weather.com says you will be in the 40's next week.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Ok, advice..
Although the topic of break in is always a big ?, I recommend not hammering on it for a couple hundred miles or so. It's tough to do and I caved in a few times, but be gentle on her!
Not sure how much you like the Rattler decals, but I took mine off and think it looks much better!
When the gas meter shows no bars, you have a little less than 1/3 gallon left in the tank. I'd say 15 miles or so.
Once you're ready for a little more speed/top end you might want to inquire about a cylinder and variator upgrade kit at your dealer. It's not cheap, but I was really happy with the results!

Do you mind me asking how much you got it for out the door?
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

snowmachines are great....except around here there's no place to go. it's just ocean on one side and mountains on the other. the really good areas are all in the interior. my dad lives in Delta Jct (100 miles south of Fairbanks if you look on the map) and it's amazingly flat up there, i used to ride them when i was kid. here in the pan handle(pointing down towards you guys) it's pretty wet and rainy about 1/2 the year, we call it our spring, summer and fall, and then snow/slush and ice in the winter. i plan on riding every day it's not raining, even if it is overcast. this weekend it's supposed to be partly sunny....but up here the weather changes every 10 minutes. anyway, enjoy the weather. sometimes i wish i lived in phoenix still, that'd be the nice area to have a scoot.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Brimstone: from Arizona to Alaska?- burrrr

A Friend of Cheese:
How much did I pay? - that’s a nice story - I emailed the owner of the shop about a 2008 Buddy they had on their website & mentioned the hills in my town - he emailed me back & suggested the 2006 Rattler they had - but had not sold & had 49 miles (full 2 year warranty)
They had done the prima pipe, rollers, weights, and stage 1 jet kit & a spring (yes I know that should void the warranty, but they said they would honor it because they did the work & I assume they wont tell)
To be honest, I know what the pipe is & the stage 1 jet kit, but no idea what the rollers, weights & spring are or do - (but I bet I can find out on in these forums)
It was obvious to me they were tired of sitting on it & wanted to move it.
So... when the owner emailed me back he said $1,800.
I went in two days later to take a look & the owner wasn’t there. His dad (who works at the shop) said $1,500.
So it was 17 & some change with tax, title, reg.
I thought it was a good deal. Regardless of the price – I am very pleased with the dealer – they knew their stuff & took time to find out what I needed… not just what I wanted.

Yes.. the dealer gave me the break in suggestions (I wish I had know that before I was doing 40 on the test drive, with more power to go) so I have been taking it easy.

I do not like the stickers at all... very cartoonish to me (but I am 40... so maybe that is it.) I plan on removing them ASAP & I am going to have some made that are a little more discreet - so it wont look generic.
I will post up photos when I do this.
BTW - did yo have much glue / stickey stuff left when you peeled the stickers? - I might go do it right now.

Here is a photo from 20 minutes ago.
Attachments
rattlerwater.jpg
rattlerwater.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

i was born and raised here alaska....we only spent about 10 months down there in the messa/apache junction area.....i guess i consider it a really long vacation more then anything. my wife and i have two girls and they were pretty young back then(about 9 years ago).....the final thing that us move back was there was an attempted abduction of a girl in our oldest daughters class(she was 7 then). we used to walk her to and from school the 2 blocks, and my wife and i remember seeing the car on seperate occasions cruizing the streets. so we decided to pack it up and move back, where there's barely any crime, maybe a few break in's...a murder every once in a great while. mostly just some domestic violence stuff. here in juneau the cops have it pretty easy.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Good reasons to move back home.... I am about 30 miles south of Chicago but in a small town (10,000 people) - I was born here - nice & quite... verry little crime. Our cops fill there time with pulling over people from out of town. Not the friendlest thing... but hey I have 3 kids (one is a 13 year old daughter) so I dont have a problem with our local cops hasseling out of towners.
I think ya gotta be happy & feel safe where you live or move.
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

nice....we're even luckier here...we have no road in or out of town...we're part of the mainland...but land locked at the same time. the only way in is by alasak airlines or the alaska maring highway. juneau has been trying to get a road built to a little town called skagway(near the US/Canadian border)for years....they actually started building it this year, but for some political red tape bullcrap....it won't make it all the way and they'll have to end up making another ferry terminal at the end of the road. so we still have to end up taking a ferry to go to skagway or haines. only now it'll depend on how long of a ferry ride we want to take. it's all a bunch of crap, they should just build it all the way.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Maybe you dont want the road... sounds nice & closed off - no point in robbing a bank if you have to wait for the ferry to make your getaway.
So is there actually a scooter dealer there? - or did you have to bring it it?
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

hehe...yeah, if you rob a bank here, it better be on the way to the airport. unfortunately there isn't a dealer here. i bought one from chispa scooters in bellingham, wa. and had a friend of mine put it on the ferry.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Just took off my Rattler stickers - no problem at all. I heated them up with a hair dryer (dont know if it helped or not) & just peeled them back. The "glue" is like "sticky tack" & came off almost clean - a little finger nail scraping & a shot of windex & you would never know they were there.