who uses hand signals??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mybetty

who uses hand signals??

Post by mybetty »

when i got my scoot 2 weeks ago, i was not comfortable taking my left hand off handlebars to use hand signals, but as i grow more and more comfortable on betty, i seem to be using hand signals more (in addition to turn signals of course :lol: ) anyone have thoughts?
ka24desc

Post by ka24desc »

I think any way to communicate your intentions and make yourself more visible is a good thing. I don't normally use hand signals, but a friend of mine does use them when he rides.
Have fun in life, doing whatever you do whenever you do it.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I have used hand signals in various situations. I use it most often when turning left from a lane that doesn't have a dedicated left turn lane. This is a case you really want to make sure those 4-wheelers behind you know your intentions. Also works for right hand turns with no dedicated right turn lane.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

As a bicycle rider, it was instinctual at first for me to use hand signals. I have since fallen out of the practice while on my Buddy. I can definitely see their benefit in the right situation.

I wonder how many non-riders (motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, etc.) understand hand signals. I remember them being taught to me in Safety Town as a child, and then again as a Student Driver. At the very least, if drivers have no idea what you're doing, they will likely act with more caution due to it being out of the ordinary.

Sounds like it can’t hurt if you're comfortable taking a hand off.
tl2277

Post by tl2277 »

At the MSF course, they encouraged us to use them. I think anything to help grab other drivers' attention to your presence and intentions is a good idea.

But I'm still at a point where I prefer to have my hands on the handle bars. Although, I find my confidence is building quickly. I hit 100 miles on the way back from lunch! That went by very fast!
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

I'm also still on the level of preferring to keep my hands on the bike at all times (thus I do the scooter nod, rather than the wave).
I wonder how many non-riders (motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, etc.) understand hand signals.
I absolutely agree. I think most drivers have completely forgotten what they mean. Still, even if they don't know whether you're going to turn right, left or stop, you've at least caught their attention and indicated that you're about to do something and that it would be a good idea for them to give you the space to do it.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

bwilms wrote: I wonder how many non-riders (motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, etc.) understand hand signals.
There is one hand signal that everyone still understands, but it's probably best not use that unless you think you can get away quickly and safely! :mrgreen:
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

vitaminC wrote:There is one hand signal that everyone still understands, but it's probably best not use that unless you think you can get away quickly and safely! :mrgreen:
It isn't this hand signal...

Is it?
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

so f'ing funny!! i love that movie, and that particular scene has been a running joke around my house for a good while now! thanks for the laugh
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

mybetty wrote:so f'ing funny!! i love that movie, and that particular scene has been a running joke around my house for a good while now! thanks for the laugh
The pleasure is mine. I just couldn't help myself. Okay, I probably could, but I didn't want to . I better cool it though. I don't want to get a reputation as the guy on the board who posts annoying animated GIFs all the time.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion on scooter safety...