you got a vespa?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lou76

you got a vespa?

Post by lou76 »

how do you respond to the response "oh, you got a vespa?" when you tell someone that you have procured a scooter?
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

It's kind of like "Kleenex" being synonymous with "tissues", or vice-versa. I have an eScooter (EVT-168) http://evtworld.com/scooters_168.asp and a the other day a guy yelled at me, "Hey, nice Vespa"
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

I don't mind if people call it a Vespa. I do have a problem with it being referred to as "a moped."
castleton

Post by castleton »

GatsbyGirl wrote:I don't mind if people call it a Vespa. I do have a problem with it being referred to as "a moped."
Absolutely! Where I work, one of my colleagues knows he can get me going by saying, "nice moped!" It worked for awhile. At least I now have everyone else trained to respond for me: "DON'T call it a moped!" I just smile.

8)
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I don't mind if people call it a Vespa. I do have a problem with it being referred to as "a moped."
LOL, yup....I have the same response as Pam.

So many people refer to it as a moped and although I don't like it, I'm still trying to find a nice way to educate them and they'll understand.

As far as the "Vespa" thing goes. The first couple of times I tried to tell them that it's a scooter made by a different company, but their pea-brains just didn't get it. I figure it's easier on me to just say thanks.

However, if I'm approached with the "What kind of scooter is that?" approach, I go ahead and invest the time educating them on Genuine and other manufacturers. Most of the time they lead with this question--I've found--they are actually considering getting a scoot for themselves and really appreciate the education.

Scooterworld in OP, KS should throw me unlimited oil changes with all the publicity I give them.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Hey Dillinger-63,

That electric scooter looks cool. Do you actually get the advertised 45 miles per charge? I would think with an electric motor it would accelerate fairly quick to.
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

DO3 wrote:Hey Dillinger-63,

That electric scooter looks cool. Do you actually get the advertised 45 miles per charge? I would think with an electric motor it would accelerate fairly quick to.
No, I have the updated controller that gets a top speed of 38 mph (the web site states 30 mph) but the increased speed drops the range down, so I get 32-35 miles per charge.

As far as the acceleration, no warm up at all, and it takes off pretty fast in Power Mode. Oh, this scoot has econo mode with is 36 volts to the hub motor for a top speed of 25 mph, and power mode which is the full 48 volts for a much quicker acceleration to the top speed. There is a place in Calif that is hopping them up to 72 volts, top speed 50 mph with a 45 mile range.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

i just bought an angry looking sticker for betty from www.cafepress.com
it says "it's not a damn moped" cannot wait till it gets here. they (cafepress)have lots of scootery stuff if anyone is interested...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You should take it as a compliment if someone refers to your Buddy as a Vespa. :wink:
mybetty wrote:i just bought an angry looking sticker for betty from www.cafepress.com
it says "it's not a damn moped" cannot wait till it gets here. they (cafepress)have lots of scootery stuff if anyone is interested...
I'm putting up Buddy stuff on my cafepress store soon. Stay tuned.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

cool. looking forward to it!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

mybetty wrote:i just bought an angry looking sticker for betty from www.cafepress.com
I had this put on a License Plate Frame for my DH
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"