Why do you scoot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Queen

Post by Queen »

I still have all my leathers from my Harley days...I'm planning on donning said full regalia next Fall and scooting around while singing "Born To Be Wild" at the top of my lungs. :mrgreen:
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Better yet, connect some speakers to an MP3 player and blast it out as you ride out at 15mph with a totally serious face :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

:D Sorry Iv been MIA for a while submerged myself in a scooter club and went to a rally:D I scoot to commute, and have fun, and go to awesome scooter rallys. I had never considered a scooter before until a girl in my Life Drawing class told me she had one, then i started doing my research and 6 months later I went from a full-time van driver, to a full time Scooterist. I also love all the interest people are showing in my scooter. People will ask me about it every time I get ready to go and I tell them how much I love it! :D
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

why it's worth the investment:
gas mileage
emissions
cost of parking
less depreciation than a car
closer parking (literally saves me a 2 hours a week in walking)

why it's worth the risk:
being in the moment
enjoying my commute rather than hating it
taking the long scenic route... and still saving money on gas
kids wave like you're the ice cream truck
smelling spring
hearing the birds
feeling the wind
zooooommm
remembering that every moment is precious
Last edited by sunshinen on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Valgal20 wrote:I went from a full-time van driver, to a full time Scooterist.
I know what you mean. The weather has been pretty "iffy" in Utah this spring, but I haven't had my van out of the garage for a few weeks now. :D
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I do love spring, but with spring comes the Birds and the Bees 8) - No, Really, Iv been hitting bees for the last 2 weeks, and the birds seem to be in Kamakazi mode too :shock: . But spring sure does smell nice. You miss out on all the interesting smells and sounds when you drive a car.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:wtf: zombie bump! :wtf: :wtf:

must eat brains...
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

Thanks, Mikie, for a whole lot of nothing.

What the hell are ya good for, self-appointed-second-hand-man, if it ain't to find the first ever zombie post? I had to comb through my own posts and find it myself. The horror.

I'm thisclose to drafting a motion to remove you as my self appointed second hand man. Git your act together. Zombies don't mess around.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Why do you scoot?

Post by ScooterDave »

madtolive wrote:But I want to extend the question to you all. Why do you scoot? The economics? The "freedom" of the ride? The community? The bomb-ass parking? Or the plain and simple fun of it?
Because damnit, I look good on a scooter. Chicks dig me & guys want to be me. Not one person has ever blown me grief for riding around on a pink Buddy.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Valgal20 wrote:I do love spring, but with spring comes the Birds and the Bees 8) - No, Really, Iv been hitting bees for the last 2 weeks, and the birds seem to be in Kamakazi mode too :shock: . But spring sure does smell nice. You miss out on all the interesting smells and sounds when you drive a car.
I gave a ride to juvenile Cardinal once. It had been hit sometime before I arrived and was a sitting in the middle of the road stunned. So I scooped it up, decided putting it on the side of the road would only make it cat bait, and put it in my basket. I decided to wheel him back to my house, trying to decide what I'd do with him once I got there, since I didn't think he really needed the care of a rehabber, just some recovery time. But the fresh air and wind on his face turned out to be all he needed. After a few blocks (some with me pushing my scooter, and some with me riding at the slowest possible speed), he took off. :D
mbrider

Post by mbrider »

madtolive wrote:the one i most worry about is the zombie attack. no joke. zombies scare the holy hell out of me. :shock:
I'm glad it's not a group of clowns. Clowns freak me out!
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

What a great thread! I can relate to just about everyone's answer, too!

My buddy with a Harley hammers on me, and he doesn't get it...his bike is the size of a van! My scoot is quick and nimble, easy to ride, easy to park, great on gas, lowers my blood pressure, and it's FUN!

I'm sitting here in the middle of Tropical Storm Fay, bummed out because I missed my 10 minute ride to work today...the 10 minutes going home never fails to lighten me up after a stressful day.

All my friends hammer on me, especially for the color (powder blue) but I just smile and tell them that I'm "man enough" to ride this color or even pink! Once I can convince them to take a ride, especially the guys with Harleys, they all say "Wow - it's quick, so easy to ride"... and they all come back smiling and ask "Do I look as gay as you on there?"....so of course I tell all the macho-men that they look like very attractive gay guys! DOH! But I think we're past all the joking, and they are glad I'm riding with them - of course they make me lead when we ride together so they can all talk smack behind my back...

but why do I ride???

1. Because I CAN!
2. Because it's FUN!
3. Because I'm being "green"
4. Because it's a GENUINE BUDDY!

Even if I do switch to a MC, I can't see getting rid of the Buddy - it's just too easy to jump on and run some errands and such. And there is that friendly-ness about it....not to mention this very cool forum! :)
Attachments
MarksBuddy125.JPG
MarksBuddy125.JPG (93.77 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
Tocsik

Why do you scoot?

Post by Tocsik »

Q: Why do you scoot?

A: Because I have an itch!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

We're not talking about the brown racing stripes in your undies! :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I feel good when I ride.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

It's weird, but I think we've gotten to a point in our culture where doing something purely for enjoyment is somehow bad or cause for guilt.
Our advertising in America is centered around the premise that we have earned something and should treat ourselves to product X or Y.

I started scooting because it saved me time. I was a bicyclist for 10 years. I sold my car in 98, fed up with having something that required so much energy and money.

I saw no reason for the thing, living in a city. SUre, I had to change my habits. I had to grocery shop 2-3x a week, instead of all at once.

My family thought I was crazy when I would bike 10 miles to come see them. But I loved it.

The scooter was a great upgrade. I started with a 49cc, and found I could strap dogfood onto it! Awesome. It cut all of my time in half, and cost little cash to keep it going.

Then, you know, the idea hit me to drive 22k and show America the connection between Peace and our consumer purchases. (scooter uses less resources, therefore less resources to fight over)

And there you go.

[/quote]
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I ride for two reasons: practicality and passion. Practicality can best be summed up by the old saying, "why take the wagon when the horse will do?" I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist.

Passion is more difficult to explain but I'll take a stab, mainly because passion is the real reason I've been riding all these years. There are days when nothing seems to be right on my bike. Nothing is smooth, I take some turns wide or too tight and I wind up pulling myself over to figure things out. I typically take it easy on these days.

On the other hand, there are days when the ride is magical. The bike is smooth and supple accelerating and braking and the curves are carved with precision. Each apex is perfectly clipped, the bike almost seems to be riding itself. In curves, entry and exit speed start to increase, as does lean angle. It's sometime around this point that the real magic takes place, but it's only going to happen if you're on the right bike for the ride. The bike just sort of "disappears" from under you. No, you haven't crashed, rather, the bike is more of an extension of your body, responding perfectly to each little input and literally flying through space. It's also at this time that your brain is focused entirely on riding, nothing else matters or distracts. In fact, maybe eliminating distractions is what it's really all about.

It doesn't happen on every ride. Hell, it may only happen a few times a year. But it's worth waiting for. Just like that one musical passage that raises the little hairs on the back of your neck.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Like that "perfect wave"...you forget you're even standing on a surfboard...all is right in the world...yes, not even the strongest of drugs can do it for ya...

I hear ya, man!
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

scooterlove

Post by scooterlove »

I originally bought my Pamplona instead of a car. I figured the savings and it would break even for me at 6 months as long as I used it as I say I plan to use it. In the last month I have had my moments but just recently in the last week as I drive more and more every day I scoot because it is my stress release. No matter what goes on during the day I can get on my scoot and drive for about 30 minutes and it all goes away. Maybe it's all the positive looks and feedback I get on the scoot. The occasional idiot goes by yes but the positive is way more than anything else. I am in love with my scooter. And my 9 year old boy thinks his mom is the coolest ever. I was already cool but this just topped it :D
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

i totally just had a zombie discussion in my local scooter forum last week. They were filling my head with crazy ideas about zombies that made me alter my "Zombie Escape Plan". Luckily someone with zombie knowledge came along and straightened them all out and I was able to revert back to my original Zombie Escape Plan. no worries.
We need a sticker or patch: "I have a Zombie Escape Plan, do you?" or perhaps "What's YOUR Zombie Escape Plan?" with a Buddy on it, natch!

In spite of their obvious danger, Zombies don't freak me out. The Blob--that giant oozing stomach that can get to you anywhere short of the freezer--THAT freaks the heck out of me! And slugs. Basically anything that oozes really icks me out. Got no room for ooze in life! Yugh!

Back on subject: Why do I scoot?

I knew nothing of scooters when my sister first went shopping for them. I accompanied her to the store and thought they were pretty nice. My car was 13 years old at the time and I cannot afford a new car payment! So the scooter was primarily my backup plan for transportation.

To top that off, I could only afford around $10 of gas per week in my car--if I didn't have gas, I just didn't go. It was pretty limiting and got worse as gas got higher. The scooter took care of that limitation too.

Since I've gotten it, I've enjoyed how much fun it is to ride, the community of people you meet--scooterists and non-scooterists alike, the fun and the freedom! It's just a wonderful all-around experience.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

An email I just got gave a wonderful reason to scoot.
"Never buy a car you can't push." :lol:
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

KRUSTYburger wrote:The reason I actually BOUGHT a scooter was because it is a practical form of cheap transportation that will eventually pay for itself in gas savings alone!!! It is also a blast to ride & I find myself doing a lot more exploring around town, seeing new places I've never seen (and I've lived here my whole life)!
That is me exactly. I have a Ford Expedition and the 30 mile round trip was costing me about $8 each day for gas. Now I drive the scooter to work and everywhere else. I have 1400+ miles on it and I have not had it a month yet. Love my scooter!

I forgot to mention that parking is very cool! I park next to the bike racks at Walmart and Target and every other place I go I park right in front. Love that part of it. :D
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Inital idea behind getting a scooter at al was to cut down on my gas consumption both to reduce demand/dependence and to reduce the impact on my wallet any way I could. Having riden had I known then what I do now the primary reason would be because it is so much FUN!
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

1. Fun!
2. MPG!
3. Good for the environment
4. Minimize my consumption of foreign oil
5. Stick it to Da Man (big oil, speculators, and terrorists)!
6. Did I say FUN?
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I grew to despise my 12 miles to the gallon, big, stupid 4Runner. Then it failed emissions and had some costly repairs -_- I started looking for something else.
I've always thought scooters were adorable and I kind of wanted one, but people drive kind of nuts here and I was a little scared.
Then I started to see motorcycles and scooters cropping up all over. I figured it couldn't be so bad. I test drove one. I fell in love. :)

Since my scooter came in, I have been trying to ride it exclusively. I am winning! Haven't touched my gas guzzler since! If I sell it before the 21st, I don't have to renew registration... :twisted: