Going to try out a Buddy on Saturday

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dillinger-63

Going to try out a Buddy on Saturday

Post by Dillinger-63 »

Well, I'm driving to a dealership 75 miles south of where I live on Saturday to drive a Buddy 50 & 125. I've had a chance to drive the Vino, Honda Met, Rocketta (ah, no way on that one) and now a Buddy. This dealership also has Vespas, but they are just more money than I want to spend. Anything special I should look for
vitaminC

Re: Going to try out a Buddy on Saturday

Post by vitaminC »

Dillinger-63 wrote: Anything special I should look for
Just pick the color you like best and have fun!
castleton

Post by castleton »

I rode a People and a Buddy, and passed on testing out the Vespa because it looked even heavier than the People. I was looking for ease of handling, and sense of "fit" (as in, fits my taste, my wallet, my scootering needs--in this case, commuting).

After doing your research, listen to your heart.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

yeah, i drove a people and my feet wouldn't really comfotrably fit. and it was pricy. my advice...drive the 50 first, couple of days later ask them to drive the 125 even if you do not have your motorcycle endorsement (of course disclose that info) and they probably will let you. and be careful. the 125 is great. if you get a 50cc pretty soon you will probably want something a little faster! and have lots and lots of fun scootering!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dillinger-63 wrote:Well, I'm driving to a dealership 75 miles south of where I live on Saturday to drive a Buddy 50 & 125. I've had a chance to drive the Vino, Honda Met, Rocketta (ah, no way on that one) and now a Buddy. This dealership also has Vespas, but they are just more money than I want to spend. Anything special I should look for
What kind of riding are you planning on doing? Unless it's really low key and limited to a small area, you're going to want a 125. Good idea passing on the Rocketta!
On the Buddy, just make sure you feel comfortable on it. I just don't fit quite right on our Buddy (size 12 feet, high center of gravity, low waist, long torso) and would be uncomfortable riding it after an hour or so. It's perfect for my very differently-proportioned wife, though.
castleton wrote:I rode a People and a Buddy, and passed on testing out the Vespa because it looked even heavier than the People. I was looking for ease of handling, and sense of "fit" (as in, fits my taste, my wallet, my scootering needs--in this case, commuting).
The Vespa LX 150 and Buddy 125 actually weigh almost exactly the same (difference of a couple pounds or so). The weight is distributed differently and the Buddy certainly feels much lighter. I don't know where all that weight is packed away, really.
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

My riding will be pretty much local, no highway at all. But i will need to maintain 45 to 50 mph in a few locations, so I would say a top speed of 55 mph.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dillinger-63 wrote:My riding will be pretty much local, no highway at all. But i will need to maintain 45 to 50 mph in a few locations, so I would say a top speed of 55 mph.
That should rule out the Honda Met and Buddy 50 right off. Always go for the bigger engine! From what I've read elsewhere, you should also check out the Kymco People 150. Many scooterists and dealers have said that it's one of the best scoots in this range on the market. It should also provide an interesting comparison with the Buddy because of its 16" wheels.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I really like the look of the people 150. I never got to test ride one tho. My dealer never had any in.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

There should also be a People 125 S available pretty soon, too, according to the Kymco website.

Seems like with the sustained high gas prices, we are finally starting to see more scooter choices! :clap:
jess

Post by jess »

ericalm wrote:The Vespa LX 150 and Buddy 125 actually weigh almost exactly the same (difference of a couple pounds or so). The weight is distributed differently and the Buddy certainly feels much lighter. I don't know where all that weight is packed away, really.
To me, it feels like the Buddy has a much lower center of gravity. I've mentioned this before, but I'm convinced that I can master the skill of riding up to a stop light, coming to a complete stop without putting a foot down and stay that way, indefinitely, until the light changes. I haven't done it yet, but riding the Buddy makes me feel like I could.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I've been trying to do that. Haven't done it yet, but it seems difficult for sure.

It's probably like a Miyagi catching the fly with chopsticks kind of thing.
tl2277

Post by tl2277 »

jess wrote:To me, it feels like the Buddy has a much lower center of gravity. I've mentioned this before, but I'm convinced that I can master the skill of riding up to a stop light, coming to a complete stop without putting a foot down and stay that way, indefinitely, until the light changes. I haven't done it yet, but riding the Buddy makes me feel like I could.
Yes! I have that feeling too. It's like a game I use to entertain myself with at lights. ... I think I need one of those radios. '-)
dru_

Post by dru_ »

The People S 125 is available now, and is the replacement for the People 150. It's an excellent scooter, but the taller wheels make it's ride characteristics different from the small wheel scooters.

I spent *way* more time riding different options than I should have.

My final take was that your decision is going to be heavily balanced on the intended use and your personal abilities and needs.

I ended up with a People 250, but in hindsight, I realize that I was predisposed to a larger wheeled scooter because of my background with bicycles (I raced street bikes / triathalons in high school and college, before swtiching to mountain bikes for the last 10 years). For me the other deciding factor was where I ride. Even though it's primarily rural/residential roads, it's out in horse farm country where the speed limit is 45, but the average speed is closer to 65. This put me in the 'fast 150' or greater area.

After riding the TGB and Buddy, I was impressed. Both are light, nimble and quick. Interestingly, the TGB has a larger displacement, and is slightly taller but doesn't 'feel' quite as quick as the Buddy. Oddly, I elected not not test the Vespa 150's and went straight to the GT200, while avoiding the fuel injected GTS250. The Vespa is heavier, but it's one of the better balanced scooters out there, in the 'traditional' look.

I also rode the Fly 150, and while it's nice, it felt kinda out of place to me. Sitting in a tough spot between the peppy, cute and fun Buddy, and the more serious BV200. Ride it was excellent, but it still lacked that 'feel' that the Buddy has. On the high end, the BV200 and 250 are great rides, but still pricey, and has the same handling as the People.

The two things that really stand out to me now, a week after purchase, and having just had my short term 150cc chinese scooter out to run around last night and then immediately doing the same ride on the People, are that all of the small wheel scooters share a lower center of gravity, and 'twitchy' handling that allow for a greater level of comfort and confidence to a new rider, at the cost of a slightly rougher ride, and a more noticable translation of road irregularities to the rider. There are some scooters that compromise between the two characteristics, the Kymco Xciting, using the larger front with the small rear, which certainly helps the ride.

Like so many others, I think you want to evaluate how you intend on riding, and then ride the alternatives, preferably in the same day, go home, stew on it for a day or so and make a decision.

Oh, and once you get it home, take it for a 'safe' spin before getting out on the roads.
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

Well, I went to the dealer today (Edwardsville, Illinois) and the Buddy is too small for me. I really liked the scooter but the handle bars kept hitting my knees when I turned. (I'm 6.1 and 190 lbs) So I'll be passing. I also looked at the Fly 150 and the Vespa LX150. I'm still going to do a bit of thinking before I drop the money on a scooter. It is interesting that the Fly 150 is basically a LX150 but no full metal frame and more plastic but it has the same engine. The cost is almost $1000.00 less. If I had the bucks I'd go with the LX150, but I'm leaning towards The Fly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dillinger-63 wrote:Well, I went to the dealer today (Edwardsville, Illinois) and the Buddy is too small for me. I really liked the scooter but the handle bars kept hitting my knees when I turned. (I'm 6.1 and 190 lbs) So I'll be passing. I also looked at the Fly 150 and the Vespa LX150. I'm still going to do a bit of thinking before I drop the money on a scooter. It is interesting that the Fly 150 is basically a LX150 but no full metal frame and more plastic but it has the same engine. The cost is almost $1000.00 less. If I had the bucks I'd go with the LX150, but I'm leaning towards The Fly.
The Fly is a good scoot, too. If you pick that or the LX, be sure to check out Modern Vespa. Lots of info on the LEADER engines in both those scoots over there.
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

ericalm wrote: If you pick that or the LX, be sure to check out Modern Vespa. Lots of info on the LEADER engines in both those scoots over there.
Already there, thanks.
Dillinger-63

Post by Dillinger-63 »

Thanks for letting me be a part of the group, but i just traded my EVT-168 (electric) scooter and a Rad2Go Sunbird electric moped in on a 2006 Vespa LX150. So, I'll be hanging out at the Modern Vespa site pretty much from now on.