security suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lets_not_listen

security suggestions?

Post by lets_not_listen »

ok, got the buddy and have been running it around for a bit. it's my first scooter, so i have a few questions about security.

i bought a cable lock, which is great if you have a pole to wrap it around. but what if you don't? the holes in the wheel are not large enough to fit the cable through so i can't lock it to itself like i would a bike. do you just lock the handlebars with the ignition lock, and hope for the best? what else can i do?

thanks.
-lnl
jess

Post by jess »

A device that you might want to add to your security arsenal is the Grip-Lock, which was reviewed here on my other forum. It's not the most secure thing in the world, but it has the advantage of being a visual deterrent (unlike a lot of disc locks) and it's much easier to use than a disc lock. You also can't drive off with it still attached, causing lots of damage, which can and does happen with disc locks. It also effectively prevents anyone from taking your scooter off the center stand, as it typically locks the front brake (throttle side) which keeps the scooter from rolling.

As for the chain, I think you've just got to have something to lock it to, unless you can find something that fits through the wheels.
paige

Post by paige »

A disc lock is a little T-bar contraption that fits through a hole in the disc brake of your scooter or motorbike. Makes it hard/ impossible to drive them, causing a lot of damage if someone tried to steal it. They come with a leash that is dayglo orange that you attach to your handlebars to remind you to take it off, so you don't damage your scooter.
LDB

Post by LDB »

I've been thinking about 2 grip locks so that both brakes are applied and neither wheel can roll combined with one of the disk locks with the bright reminder cord.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Yakima makes a nice coated bicycle security cable, I think 6 to 8 feet long with loops at both ends to take a padlock.

Locking the brakes is better than nothing, but the bike is so light that a couple of teens could carry it away if given the time.
jess

Post by jess »

Beamie wrote:Locking the brakes is better than nothing, but the bike is so light that a couple of teens could carry it away if given the time.
Absolutely. The only way to prevent that is to lock the body down to something, like a pole. But in the absence of that...
LDB

Post by LDB »

I know it could be carried away but I figure if both brakes are locked it at least can't be lifted on one end and rolled on the other. Also, at least with a GT/GTS, it hopefully weighs enough to not be too easily carried away. Chaining to a post is definitely best but if that won't work I figure 2 grip locks are better than 1.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

jess wrote:A device that you might want to add to your security arsenal is the Grip-Lock, which was reviewed
Do they fit the Buddy Grip diameter?
lets_not_listen

Post by lets_not_listen »

Beamie wrote:Do they fit the Buddy Grip diameter?
yep!
-lnl
jess

Post by jess »

Beamie wrote:Do they fit the Buddy Grip diameter?
Yes. The curvature of the Buddy's grip makes it slightly more awkward to fit than Vespas, but it does fit.