What style helmet do you wear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

What style helmet do you wear?

Full face
46%
Full face flip
16%
Three quarter
24%
Half
12%
None
1%

Total votes: 140

Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

imo... the half helmet looks way cooler than a full face in the scooter application, as to safety, its points of degree, in witch the helmet never stops your leg etc., from getting broken.... and did I mention the half helmets are way cooler...
"Social graces, got any"
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

ericalm wrote:
scullyfu wrote:They may no longer carry it—lojical's post is a year old!
OMG that is so funny. :lol:

btw, i'm going to go to ducati this weekend to check out the new avi helmets. i'm in the market for a modular and they hadn't come in when i was last there, but now i'm seeing monstergirl's posting and picture. woohoo!!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont really care what looks cooler, all I want to do is ride and be safe. People can choose what helmet they want to wear, which in the end is better than no helmet at all.

I was told someone on a buddy was killed a couple of days before I got my scooter, he went riding on a gravel road, he went too fast and slid and scratched his face and body all up, died right there.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Does anybody know about something like a spoiler for your helmet? I was riding against some crazy wind yesterday & helmet kept coming up a little... only like a quarter inch or so, just enough to feel like I need to push it down. NO, MY HELMET IS NOT TOO BIG! I've tried smaller helmets & they give me headache.
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Im tempted to wear this helmet... Thats right its a cowboy hat helmet...... :shock:
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

ScooterMcGee wrote:Image

Im tempted to wear this helmet... Thats right its a cowboy hat helmet...... :shock:
ha! my dad wears construction helmets that are cowboy hats! sorta impractical for scooter purposes, but a girl can dream. :)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Mine's a 3/4 with a face shield (not the snap-on kind, it's built in). I like it cuz it's almost as protective as a full-face, but it doesn't make me feel all claustrophobic... also I can flip it up at stop lights & talk to people. :wink:

oh yeah, it's an HJC CL-33. I used to black before I decided to make it more "visible"...
That is great looking... you do some of the most creative things.
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Does anybody know about something like a spoiler for your helmet? I was riding against some crazy wind yesterday & helmet kept coming up a little... only like a quarter inch or so, just enough to feel like I need to push it down. NO, MY HELMET IS NOT TOO BIG! I've tried smaller helmets & they give me headache.
... you have quite the dilema there, your heads too small for the size you have and too big for the next size down. When you say the smaller size gives you headaches... how tightly does it fit? I ask because a slightly tight lid will work, the trick is you need to wear it around the house (for safety) until the padding inside compresses a bit to fit you.

If it's tigher than just slightly, you may want to think about mixing and matching pads. For a while I was running a medium lid with all but the cheek pads, I put the cheek pads from a large in and it created a custom fit that worked well. This of course only works if your lid uses multiple snap in pads.

Some info to ponder, I hope it helps a little.
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

I use a Z1R Phantom full face with a visor you can flip up. It likes to fog up even when it is cool outside. I ought to use a defogger agent, but for now I just prop it up one click and ride with it slightly open. Suits me.
For summer, I don't know what I will do. I like the protection of the ff, but that heat... Might just leave the Firstgear pants a casa and deal with it with water and a bandana.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Kurzer wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:Does anybody know about something like a spoiler for your helmet? I was riding against some crazy wind yesterday & helmet kept coming up a little... only like a quarter inch or so, just enough to feel like I need to push it down. NO, MY HELMET IS NOT TOO BIG! I've tried smaller helmets & they give me headache.
... you have quite the dilema there, your heads too small for the size you have and too big for the next size down. When you say the smaller size gives you headaches... how tightly does it fit? I ask because a slightly tight lid will work, the trick is you need to wear it around the house (for safety) until the padding inside compresses a bit to fit you.

If it's tigher than just slightly, you may want to think about mixing and matching pads. For a while I was running a medium lid with all but the cheek pads, I put the cheek pads from a large in and it created a custom fit that worked well. This of course only works if your lid uses multiple snap in pads.

Some info to ponder, I hope it helps a little.
Another way, besides a day or so of wearing it is to get a tennis ball and use that to press/rub/roll around inside the helmut to compress the padding.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

My helmet sorta has a "spoiler" to it. It has a fin atop the helmet to let out hot air, it wedges off the helmet in a way it looks like a spoiler.
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

Thats me in the middle.
Attachments
12345slaphot_lg-01.jpg
12345slaphot_lg-01.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I suspect it was just the strong winds, but it could be the shape of your helmet /head. I spent hours wearing various helmets around the store before I found one in the right size that didn't give me a headache. The wrong shape in a size too big still gave me a headache.

But I have an xsmall, and the wind still catches my helmet from time to time. That's why I love having a tall windshield. Before I got it, I always felt uncomfortable checking my blind spot at higher speeds. The taller windshield funnels the air over my head and makes for a much more pleasant experience.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Apiarist wrote:I use a Z1R Phantom full face with a visor you can flip up. It likes to fog up even when it is cool outside. I ought to use a defogger agent, but for now I just prop it up one click and ride with it slightly open. Suits me.
For summer, I don't know what I will do. I like the protection of the ff, but that heat... Might just leave the Firstgear pants a casa and deal with it with water and a bandana.
I'd thought I'd cave last summer, but I found clicking the face shield open a bit was sufficient for me. I commute by scooter, so I didn't want to be showing up at work with sweaty sticky hair, but turns out mornings and evenings were never that bad. I rarely am out during the hottest parts of the day.

As for fogging up in cooler weather, I highly recommend getting a fog city insert. I didn't for the first year because I did okay without one and I guess because I didn't think they really worked. But damn, it's so much nicer to not have to worry about it fogging up regardless of the weather. It's especially lovely to not have to let the cold wind come in just so you can see.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

Just got a ZOX Azuma f/f , bought off eBay. tried on a bunch of helemts at a local shop yesterday ( of course the ones I really liked were only $500.....) but most of the ones I tried in my size felt pretty good and I could not really tell a difference. Will probably get a 3/4 w/ face shield also

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Look at cyber full face helmets, they are only 80-130 dollars, I got their best one us-95 for 110 dollars and it is very nice, has a nice ventilation system, and other nice features. Was worth the price!

One thing I want to ask though, do you guys think your head looks bigger when wearing a helmet? Especially full face, I think mine looks big on me, but it fits me good and is my size.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

jfrost2 wrote:One thing I want to ask though, do you guys think your head looks bigger when wearing a helmet? Especially full face, I think mine looks big on me, but it fits me good and is my size.
Oh boy - do I !!

I was walking around the motorcycle dealership saying "Klaatu Barata Nikto".... although noone got it.....

I'm a big nerd....

Robb

EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I thought I had a BIG head without a helmet so I tried the XL . . . too big, I then tried the L . . . too big so I ended up with the Small which fits me perfectly. Go figure !

Klaatu Barata Nikto? I don't get it either, but then again, I don't have cable/satellite (yes, I am one of the 7 people in the USA without cable/satellite, by choice). What does it mean?
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ah, Slapshot! That's one of my favorite movies, FA-Q.
ModBud #442
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

Pita1963 wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:One thing I want to ask though, do you guys think your head looks bigger when wearing a helmet? Especially full face, I think mine looks big on me, but it fits me good and is my size.
Oh boy - do I !!

I was walking around the motorcycle dealership saying "Klaatu Barata Nikto".... although noone got it.....

I'm a big nerd....

Robb

The Day the Earth Stood Still - big silver killer robot named Gort....
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I have a Cyber US-94. Fits great, great price, but it is monstrous. I think Cyber helmets have a bigger exterior diameter than most other full face helmets.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

does anyone have any experience with zox helmets? found the nevado on sale for $80 on compacc.com...had been looking at the HJC CL-Max over at new enough for $140. anyone know if HJC is a significantly better helmet?
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

madtolive wrote:does anyone have any experience with zox helmets? found the nevado on sale for $80 on compacc.com...had been looking at the HJC CL-Max over at new enough for $140. anyone know if HJC is a significantly better helmet?
I just got my ZOX on Monday. Got it from eBay. very comfortable, although it will take some getting use to, as I was using a 3/4 up till now.

Robb

madtolive

Post by madtolive »

thanks robb. i just read the review on webbikeworld. sure convinced me.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

MonsterGirl wrote:I just picked up my new helmet from Ducati Seattle and I'm so excited to get to wear it around! It's super light, totally comfy and all the insides can be snapped out for cleaning. And I like the bright color - visibility never hurts (my old one was candy apple red too).

That's the helmet I lusted after, but I could never find it in Austin! It sucks having to wear a helmet you've made out of paper mâché and egg cartons...
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

This is what I wear:

I do love it.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

that is a great looking helmet. i thought about getting one myself, but my pansy ass can't bear to think about doing a face plant sans chin bar. :sigh: such a handsome helmet, too.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I just got a black Fulmer Modus with the flip-up front. Now I can drink coffee at stop-lights.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

Anyone know anything or have experience with the Z1R Jimmy Retro? I so love the LOOK of the orange with the cream color stripes. I can get it at Scooterworks for about $90, but not sure if it's a good quality helmet.

Ken, if you're reading this, I'm sorry!!! I've got to do this, as I'm a little unsure about a "Made in China" helmet...AND I'M CHINESE...born in Vietnam, though.

I sure love the look of the Nolan N30, but it's a lot more money. What do people think of Z1R helmets in general?

Thanks!!