Fresh meat, new to the wonderful world of scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BadBrains

Fresh meat, new to the wonderful world of scooters

Post by BadBrains »

Hello all! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of weeks and I couldn't continue, because it felt like peeping through the window at a house party. I want in! And more specifically, now I really want a scooter.

I've got the gear...

I'm signed up for the MSF...

And I'm 98% dead set on the Genuine Buddy.

The only thing that could make me choose otherwise would be a Honda Helix. .. a Honda Helix for sale in the area at a fantastic price. 8)

That said, I do have a question: Should I buy used instead of new if this is my very first two-wheeled form of transportation? I'm sure I'll lay it down a few times and I'm wondering if I should opt for a decades old beater at a cheap price to love and learn on at first.

Is the general wisdom that it's better to buy new and make use of the Genuine warranty?
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

i would say good luck finding a used one . with that said get a new one if you can . and if you can stay up on a bike then i dont think your going to lay down a scooter . that if your not doing somthing ... well stupid that is i just got a blur and its my first scooter just take it easy and theres no probs... i still have to get my endorsment too
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

I keep oscillating between new and used, but none of the used scooters I can find have enough CCs or they're in too bad a shape or the price never adds up. All things considered, the value of a new Buddy always seems to come out on top. I think that's the ticket...

I've been to the Urban Moto Shop in Austin quite a few times now; sitting on scooters, asking way too many questions, overstaying my welcome, etc. They're fantastic guys and I think that's where I'm going to buy new from.

Has anyone purchased from them before? Whenever they have '07s in stock they go for about $2953 out the door. From what I can tell that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Hondas have a great reputation and Buddy's are building one so you cannot go wrong. just don't say you will lay it down. Most people never do. While (knock on wood!) I have never had a spill, I know the tupperwear buddy can take some drops and barely have a scratch-while it's fancier counterparts would cost several $100's to repair.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

hey brains, as you may have read i compulsively visit the guys at urban moto and they have a lot to do with my decision to get a buddy. they are very helpful and never make me feel like i'm a bother, it feels like they genuinely like to shoot the breeze about scooters.

i've been going back and forth between buying used and new too. i'm pretty sure i've opted to go the new route. it's my first scoot as well, and i've combed obsessively through craigslist for The Perfect Deal. and none of them have ever convinced me. sometimes the price is right, but the miles are high, or the scoot has been "dropped at a very low speed." i'm a pretty distrustful person as it is, and if i'm already going to be investing this much money in something that i want, i feel it's best to shell out a bit more cash for something that is shiny and brand spanking new, has a killer warranty, and has belonged to only me. smeegal voice: my preciousssss.....

i 100% encourage you to purchase from urban moto. although i must say that if you go anywhere near that seafoam green they've got before friday, i will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger. :evil:

p.s. from what they've told me they're not going to get in any more 07s. unless you go buy the pink one. why the hell not, right? :wink:

welcome to MB!
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Haha, I've actually spent all day today at work debating whether or not to buy the very pink buddy you speak of! I wanted an '07 because they're a hair cheaper, and I already have a ridiculous paint job in mind so she'd only be pink for a while. Deep down though, I know I'll quickly grow attached to its pinkness and begin questioning many things about myself. Your seafoam is safe!

I'm the same way about buying used, I want to be able to break it in myself and, should it come to it, break it myself.

I was up there yesterday and he said they might be getting one more '07 in this week; I assume it's one of the black/silver ones. I'll call them religiously and with much relish.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I've ridden both the Buddy & the Helix... The Helix is more cushy and you sit a lot lower. It is also more substantial while cruising. The Bud125 on the other hand sits higher and is super nimble and fun! The ULTIMATE SCOOTER in my opinion... That's why I bought one. :wink: The Helix is my dad's, he sometimes asks to ride my Bud to the store, but I'm sure he prefers his Helix on those long rides to work. I'm not saying the Helix is BORING, I'm just saying it's boring compared to the BUDDY!!! :P

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, brains!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

I think you just made up my mind! All my jaunts will be mostly low-speed inner city so the Buddy it is. Although one day I hope to have both... The Buddy for downtown galavanting, and the Helix for sleeping on while I drive.

So the last '07 at Urban Moto Shop is indeed the ALL pink one. I might just pull the trigger on it and paint the panels military green, so that way me and the GF both get the color we wanted. ?!?
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

So the last '07 at Urban Moto Shop is indeed the ALL pink one. I might just pull the trigger on it and paint the panels military green, so that way me and the GF both get the color we wanted. ?!?
you could call her g.i. jane. or infantrywoman barbie.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Hah, she might give me a swift kick in the pants if I call her G.I. Jane. I'll just call her Trench-Warfare-Edition-Skipper.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

My preference is to buy new vehicles rather than used vehicles. This is based upon my history of buying used cars in which I always felt that I was buying someone else’s problems because the used cars always had mechanical problems needing repair.

A year ago when I decided to buy my first scooter, I looked at buying a used scooter but ultimately decided to buy a new Buddy because the Buddy has a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Since I had never owned a scooter, the warranty provided me with some peace of mind in the event that something mechanical broke down. Buddy’s warranty is not transferable to a second owner so if you buy a used Buddy you don’t get the warranty.

It sounds like the Buddy suits the type of driving you are planning on doing so good luck.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

or maybe the Barbie Goes to the Army Assault Vehicle edition :shock:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

HCStrider, those are excellent points. I also look at it as getting more vehicle for the money (new scoot, warranty, quality construction) than buying a used car (mechanical issues, low MPG, weird acrid pee smell).
EP_scoot wrote:or maybe the Barbie Goes to the Army Assault Vehicle edition :shock:
I like it, it sounds like an ill-fated CGI movie.
maribell

Post by maribell »

there is a brand new sunset orange one listed on austin craigslist. the pics were clearly taken outside of urban moto. i was under the impression that they were selling it....

but then again... i am always a fan of pink buddys.. 8)

I bought mine used and have had 0 problems with it. They are supposed to be pretty hardy scoots. I have laid my buddy down (not while riding, though). It's not noticeable at all.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Welcome aboard, BadBrains! Is your screen name a reference to the best East Coast hardcore band ever, or to the creators of MST3K?! Either one is awesome. :D
ModBud #442
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Hah, a pink Buddy would HAVE to be hardier just by the virtue of being pink right? It's growing on me already and I don't even own it yet! I suppose there is a precedent for this as I've seen every episode of Sex and the City. :oops: (It's a good show damnit!)

I just emailed the Urban Moto guys about the orange buddy. It didn't mention if it came with the warranty even though it was new, so we'll see...
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Hey Bad Brains-Welcome

Those fellas at Urban Moto are true gems.
That makes such a difference in purchasing a scooter. I'm bummed that the best scooter shop near me is an hour away-Scoot Richmond.

Pink and Green would be a pretty swell color combo, fer sure.

Per laying the Buddy down, hmmm, there was testimony to its resilience.

But always think about yours as well. I took a spill last year on some gravel that left a slight scratch on the scoot, but none on me. I believe the choice in pants and my Corazzo jacket made all the difference.

Can't wait to see pics of your new gal!
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

polianarchy wrote:Welcome aboard, BadBrains! Is your screen name a reference to the best East Coast hardcore band ever, or to the creators of MST3K?! Either one is awesome. :D
Hey! Definitely in reference to the esteemed progenitors of Hardcore! And really, also to MST3K because while the band influenced me, the show raised me.

This board is full of cool cats!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd say the best is to always buy a new bike, you know it's knew, someone else who is selling a used bike, you dont know how they took care of it. Though I'd say 99.9% of buddy riders baby their bikes and do take care of it and get them serviced, still I've seen some dishonest people claiming the bike was in good order, but inside mechanically, they never fixed the problems. Even a person who tried selling an italia, they threw in a ton of accessories and helmets, but the bike was all scratched up.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Hey Alix B! I really should look into some kind of riding pants. I've got leather boots, leather gloves, a decent helmet and an armored textile riding jacket. I'd like to keep my sweet butt in working condition though, do you recommend any specific riding pants?

As soon as I get the scoot I'll post pics of me and the GF posing on it as hard as possible. Sweet Jeebus, I can't wait to customize the hell out of it.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

jfrost2 wrote:I'd say the best is to always buy a new bike, you know it's knew, someone else who is selling a used bike, you dont know how they took care of it. Though I'd say 99.9% of buddy riders baby their bikes and do take care of it and get them serviced, still I've seen some dishonest people claiming the bike was in good order, but inside mechanically, they never fixed the problems. Even a person who tried selling an italia, they threw in a ton of accessories and helmets, but the bike was all scratched up.
I know what you mean, I'm getting the scooter because my truck is about to completely fail at any second and I couldn't in good conscience pass it off on anybody. She was my first vehicle when I turned 16 and we've spent almost a decade together, but she's got consistent issues which I wouldn't wish on anybody. That and she gets maybe 16 MPG. I think I'm going to cancel the insurance on her and just keep her in the driveway so I can hug her now and then. Is that legal?
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Genuine Scooter Company (Buddy) also carries the best warranty in town, but be ware most warranties do not transfer to new owners. So buying used may be without any warranty. I have yet to need any warranty work on my Buddy, but it is nice to know I have another years coverage.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Ya, man, Bad Brains is really a group I regret not ever seeing. I mean, they played Baltimore last year, but I just don't know if it would be the same to see them live now...
Black Sabbath influenced them which rocks my boat. Totally progressive roots, jazz and rock, throw in devout Rastafari's to take it over the top....

Oh, sorry. Wrong forum. :lol:

I'm searching for pants right now bud. To keep not only my ass sweet, but my knees as well. Last year I just had on the front logger Carhartts. Research has led me to frustration, because this jockey is 5'4, 115 lbs. Most of the pants designs that I like are for men, but don't fit this woman.
Here is one that I would wear if the price and sizing were better:
http://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/RN79472.aspx
Polianarchy mentioned New Enough to me, definitely check that out for ever changing deals.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/

Or what about sweet sweet fancy French pants?

http://www.esquad-jeans.com/shop/shop_2 ... =Pantalons
Ok those jeans cost most more than 3 years of my insurance.
Which btw, is www.fernet.com (i heart them)
BUT for a cool video on pants options check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9nZW-Xp4LE

I'm just pissed that the company wrote me saying "Worlds strongest pants support Peace tour," promised me jeans and then disappeared. Now I'm leaving in a week and don't have money to swing for fancy pants.
Sigh.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Dibber wrote:Genuine Scooter Company (Buddy) also carries the best warranty in town, but be ware most warranties do not transfer to new owners. So buying used may be without any warranty. I have yet to need any warranty work on my Buddy, but it is nice to know I have another years coverage.
The warranty will be verrrry nice to have. I'd like to get the point where I can be fully self-sufficient when tinkering around on my scoot, and two years would be a nice grace period to learn all that stuff.

Alix B, I would still give any minor organ to see them live, but they're new album wasn't entirely my cup of tea. It was still a really good album, but it's just tough to match the sound and the fury of their self titled. (Damn, I'm THAT guy!)

Those Teknic pants look pretty swank. I'm having a tough time finding riding pants that don't make me look like I'm a Juggalo (not to be confused with Gigolo).

And I'm not opposed to French pants if they HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THE PRICE!!! Stupid American dollar... That sucks about the sponsorship. Wait, you're THE Alix I've read so much about!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The world gets a little smaller when you're on a Genuine (in a good way).
EZPZ #65
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I guess so.
I'm the girl riding 20,000 miles on my Buddy to promote Peace, Environmentalism and Community, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, everything else is false, that's my story.... 8)

AKA the girl currently hassling, I mean ENCOURAGING everyone to purchase raffle tickets to fuel good causes.
http://www.peacescooter.com/raffles/

The world gets a little smaller when you're on a Genuine (in a good way).
Yep, riding with Genuine is great. The scooter community itself makes the world smaller...and more eco-friendly!!!

I am however, one of those people-I met with a guy about silkscreening shirts, a few years ago, and I said, "Wow you look familiar, can't place it."
He says, "Yea I saw you in Amsterdam, I was on the payphone when you tripped on the above ground rail"
Turns out that the dude had gone to high school with all my good friends. And yes, was there for my moment of clumsiness on the rail.
What are the odds, eh?
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

nissanman wrote:The world gets a little smaller when you're on a Genuine (in a good way).
It's weird, it already seems smaller, because I added my location on the interactive map and a buddy owner lives only a couple of blocks from me. The only other scoot I've seen in my neighborhood is the Helix owner down the street whose ride I covet daily. It's "sun-bleached" pinkish-red.

Good luck on the PeaceScoot Alix! If someone had a kickass enough item to contribute, would you be interested in adding it to your raffle?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

CO2 emissions from a gallon of gasoline = 2,421 grams x 0.99 x (44/12) = 8,788 grams = 8.8 kg/gallon = 19.4 pounds per gallon

If you get 90 real miles per gallon of gas, this means you need to buy gas 100 times on your trip.

This means that you get 90mpg on one gallon of gas/tank, you're going to put 1900 pounds of carbon dioxide in the ozone layer.

:lol:
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I know, right? Would that be more if driving a 2stroke?

I've definitely taken measure of my Carbon footprint, in all arenas.
My conscience is ok with the fact that I sold my car in 98 to bicycle/walk everywhere. And since I'm doing a lot of scoot/alternative transportation promotion-the hope is people see how eco-friendlier a scooter is. Resulting in a lighter social carbon footprint in the end.

In the meanwhile, I started drinking whiskey instead of beer, less CO2 emitted.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

jfrost2 wrote:CO2 emissions from a gallon of gasoline = 2,421 grams x 0.99 x (44/12) = 8,788 grams = 8.8 kg/gallon = 19.4 pounds per gallon

If you get 90 real miles per gallon of gas, this means you need to buy gas 100 times on your trip.

This means that you get 90mpg on one gallon of gas/tank, you're going to put 1900 pounds of carbon dioxide in the ozone layer.

Methinks one of the ideas is to highlight the difference between scooting across the USA and doing it in a car. If she did it by car that would be something like:

20,000 miles \ 25 MPG car = 800 gallons x 19.4 pounds of CO2 = 15520 pounds of C02

I don't know if any of this math is right, but its GOT to be a lot more when traveling on 4 wheels. If she convinces just one person to ride by scoot then that's a lot of prevented C02 per year.

...should have taken more math classes in college.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Alix B wrote:I know, right? Would that be more if driving a 2stroke?

I've definitely taken measure of my Carbon footprint, in all arenas.
My conscience is ok with the fact that I sold my car in 98 to bicycle/walk everywhere. And since I'm doing a lot of scoot/alternative transportation promotion-the hope is people see how eco-friendlier a scooter is. Resulting in a lighter social carbon footprint in the end.

In the meanwhile, I started drinking whiskey instead of beer, less CO2 emitted.
Beat me to it and said it better! I agree with you on the Whiskey (beverage of choice) 8)
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Methinks, exactly.
Now if I can just prepare myself for the big questions, "You rode THAT thing from VIRGINIA? On the roads?"

Good luck on the PeaceScoot Alix! If someone had a kickass enough item to contribute, would you be interested in adding it to your raffle?
Thank You and yes as long as it is kickass and not "borrowed" from a neighbor. :D

Wow, I just moved to Maine before taking the trip. I also just did that whole interactive map thingy-whoah-more scooterists in Maine NOW PLEASE. I'm all aloooooooooooooooooone!
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Hay, ask Keys he went from a buddy to a Helix- I think he's still lurking about here somewhere... :?
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Valgal20 wrote:Hay, ask Keys he went from a buddy to a Helix- I think he's still lurking about here somewhere... :?
Yah, I've seen him posting, I'll have to ask him. The only things that really appeal to me about the Helix more so than the Buddy are the larger tires and increased speed. From what I've read it would be a lot more stable at high speeds, but with a trade-off in nimbleness on city streets.
Alix B wrote:Now if I can just prepare myself for the big questions, "You rode THAT thing from VIRGINIA? On the roads?"
You should print out postcards with all the big questions answered, such as:

1) What IS that thing?
2) How many miles per gallon does it get?
3) Why am I all of a sudden stricken with a void that only a scooter can fill?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Valgal20 wrote:Hay, ask Keys he went from a buddy to a Helix- I think he's still lurking about here somewhere... :?
Can you still call what's left of Keys' sccot a helix?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

BadBrains wrote:
Yah, I've seen him posting, I'll have to ask him. The only things that really appeal to me about the Helix more so than the Buddy are the larger tires and increased speed. From what I've read it would be a lot more stable at high speeds, but with a trade-off in nimbleness on city streets.
Alix B wrote:Now if I can just prepare myself for the big questions, "You rode THAT thing from VIRGINIA? On the roads?"
You should print out postcards with all the big questions answered, such as:

1) What IS that thing?
2) How many miles per gallon does it get?
3) Why am I all of a sudden stricken with a void that only a scooter can fill?
I have a ton of those, my dealer threw them in to "advertise" when people ask me about my bike, so far gave out 3.