Women's FirstGear Mesh Jacket

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dahuffy

Women's FirstGear Mesh Jacket

Post by dahuffy »

I'm trying to find a good jacket for my "chunky" figure. Does anybody have any experience with "FirstGear" jacket sizing and a company called "New Enough"? I'm a bit leary about ordering clothes through the mail when I don't know the manufacturer.
An XL to one person, can be a M to another, if you know what I mean. My problem is finding one big enough to go around my middle and not have to roll the sleeves half way up my arm :D
I found one on their site that I really like but I'm not sure what they mean by "Alpha Sized" Ladies jackets? It's a Pink and White Mesh for $117.00. Let me know what you think?
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

It's hard to judge the fit with riding jackets... even different styles from the same company can vary. Can you return it if it doesn't fit the way you like? If so, then I would just go ahead and order it. You really need to try it on to be sure of the fit.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I haven't ordered anything from New Enough, but a lot of people over at Urbanscootin.com have, and I've never heard any complaints. If they don't have the sizing charts for First Gear on their website, you might try going to First Gear's website and looking it up. That'll probably explain what Alpha Size means. And New Enough has a really good return policy if all else fails.

HTH,
Jody
ellen

Re: Women's FirstGear Mesh Jacket

Post by ellen »

dahuffy wrote: An XL to one person, can be a M to another, if you know what I mean.
Ain't that the truth! I swear some of these manufacturers get confused with Chinese XL and American XL's :cry:

I found this on the New Enough web site. Not sure how accurate it is
FirstGear Sizing Chart for Women
Women's General Sizing Guidelines
Dress Size____2-4____4-6 ____8-10____12-14____16-18____20-22____24-26
Alpha Size____XS_____SM_____MED_____LG_______XL______XXL____XXXL
Numeric Size _32-34 _34-36__38-40 ___42-44_____46-48____50-52___54-56

If I'm interested in a specific jacket or helmet. I usually shop around locally and try everything on. Find the exact size I need THEN I order it online.
BlackInkSpot

Post by BlackInkSpot »

I'm in the same boat - while I would love to find something locally that would fit me, no one seems to carry any of the larger women's sizes. So I'm stuck trying on large men's sizes which really don't fit so well since the arms leave me looking like a kid playing dress up!

So frustrating.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I always try both the mens and womens on. I have long arms so sometimes the men sizes actually fit better. A few times I have tried the womens on. Seems to fit okay until I hold my arms out like I would when I am riding. Sleeves would ride up way past my wrists and would bunch up and pinch on the shoulders.

One place I've found great selections of jackets are at motorcycle shows.
You just have to wade though racks and racks of black Harley wife beaters :rofl: You also have to know what you are shopping for though. At times the prices there are more than in the local stores.
Last edited by ellen on Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

hey, dahuffy...i have called newenough a couple of times to ask questions, and they have been extremely helpful on the phone, and i had no trouble quickly getting through to a real person. i have heard nothing but good things about them, so give a call, ask questions to your hearts content, order confidently, and return the jacket if it does not fit! good luck. their # is on their website. www.newenough.com
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I've exchanged a few items from newenough, and never had any problems. You might also check the FirstGear web page and see if there is a dealer near you, then you can just try the jackets on in person (even if it's not the same model, the sizing should be similar).
GatsbyGirl

Re: Women's FirstGear Mesh Jacket

Post by GatsbyGirl »

ellen wrote: I found this on the New Enough web site. Not sure how accurate it is
FirstGear Sizing Chart for Women
Women's General Sizing Guidelines
Dress Size____2-4____4-6 ____8-10____12-14____16-18____20-22____24-26
Alpha Size____XS_____SM_____MED_____LG_______XL______XXL____XXXL
Numeric Size _32-34 _34-36__38-40 ___42-44_____46-48____50-52___54-56
It's definitely going to be a case-by-case situation. I bought the Power Trip Vintage Leather jacket from New Enough. According to this sizing chart I should have gone with the Small, but I went with the Medium instead because I have freakishly long arms and I'm glad I did. It fits great and has just enough room for me to wear a bulkier layer once the weather gets a bit cooler.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

BlackInkSpot wrote:I'm in the same boat - while I would love to find something locally that would fit me, no one seems to carry any of the larger women's sizes. So I'm stuck trying on large men's sizes which really don't fit so well since the arms leave me looking like a kid playing dress up!

So frustrating.
Thank you!!
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I haven't actually purchased from New Enough yet but i did contact them regarding their return policy. They are even willing to take back helmets, which is great for me. I have never riden with a full face and I am afraid I will purchase one and then hate it. I will probably buy from them just because I know I can send it back if I have to.
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

I have heard, and experienced, nothing but good things from NewEnough.com. Check your local dealers though, because you may not always be getting a better deal and it is nice to have bike shops open in your home town.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Just got off the phone with them and i've decided to order a Black one instead of the Pink. Got to thinking about the practicality issues and figured it would be much easier to keep the black one clean.

By the way, the young lady that I spoke with was all excited....seems she had just taken an order from James Caan! How cool, maybe he'll turn up on "Las Vegas" wearing his new jacket and riding a Buddy :rofl: