Kickstart

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

soundofsingles

Kickstart

Post by soundofsingles »

Has anyone ever had to kickstart their Buddy 125? I ask because I find that the kickstarter is always getting in the way when I go to put the bike up on it's center stand. At the present moment I'm thinking about taking it off and throwing in the the under-seat compartment. As long as I have the correct wrench I could always reattach it if needed.
buddylover

Post by buddylover »

I've started it once with the kick start, just to do it. You'll probably regret it after you remove it because your battery will die some day this winter. To ease the bike onto it's center stand, use your toe and orient you foot at 90 degrees to the bike. Then it shouldn't bump the kick start ever. Good luck in your decision.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Speaking of, I was told by my dealer that any extremely short trip you intend to take (less than 3 blocks) should use the kick start.

However, I have a freaking hard ass time getting it started that way. I wish it'd just start in one or two kicks.

Any tips?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was able to nail it on the first kick. Slowly lower the kickstart to the point where you feel resistance, then kick it hard. Don't go too hard on the throttle; you could flood the engine.

Also, the kickstart is kind of small so be careful your foot doesn't slip off. You could easily tip the Buddy over.
Last edited by ericalm on Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Actually...slowly push the lever down until you feel resistance...then bring it back to the top...then hard kick. Eric forgot the "then bring it back up" part.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
big calm

Post by big calm »

A Vespa owner told me that the kick start is just for show and that he would never use it to start his scoot.

He acted like it would mess up your engine or scooter. Is this true? I live in Dallas so I don't think the cold weather should effect Baxter to much. The dealer told me as long as you don't let it sit for weeks on end.

It should always be easy to start. Again I ask is this true?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

big calm wrote:A Vespa owner told me that the kick start is just for show and that he would never use it to start his scoot.

He acted like it would mess up your engine or scooter. Is this true? I live in Dallas so I don't think the cold weather should effect Baxter to much. The dealer told me as long as you don't let it sit for weeks on end.

That's somewhat true for the automatic Vespas (especially those with LEADER engines such as the LX & ET). The kickstart can work, but it's a pain and can -- and often does -- crack or damage the transmission case. So the kick is really just for extreme emergency starting. Whatever that may be.

As far as I know, The Buddy doesn't share this problem. It kicked over quite easily/ But with the electric start there's no point in doing it unless the starter won't work.
big calm

Post by big calm »

ericalm wrote:
big calm wrote:A Vespa owner told me that the kick start is just for show and that he would never use it to start his scoot.

That's somewhat true for the automatic Vespas (especially those with LEADER engines such as the LX & ET). The kickstart can work, but it's a pain and can -- and often does -- crack or damage the transmission case. So the kick is really just for extreme emergency starting. Whatever that may be.

As far as I know, The Buddy doesn't share this problem. It kicked over quite easily/ But with the electric start there's no point in doing it unless the starter won't work.
Yeah, that's kinda what I think that Vespa dude was trying to tell me. He was like"Bro, just leave the kick start alone"

I concur
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Yeah, that's kinda what I think that Vespa dude was trying to tell me. He was like"Bro, just leave the kick start alone"
Hey, thanks guys.......I thought short trips would run down the battery, but obviously a worn down battery is much better than risk of harming tranny!

I'm certain I must have misunderstood what he was trying to say. My Buddy won't sit for a long time until Kansas City gets bitter cold which should be sometime in December through March, but even then we occassionally have a rare mild day and you know what Sonny will be doing on those days.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KidDynomite wrote:
Hey, thanks guys.......I thought short trips would run down the battery, but obviously a worn down battery is much better than risk of harming tranny!

I'm certain I must have misunderstood what he was trying to say. My Buddy won't sit for a long time until Kansas City gets bitter cold which should be sometime in December through March, but even then we occassionally have a rare mild day and you know what Sonny will be doing on those days.
I don't think the Buddy has the cracked tranny problem. Also, it has a 2-year warranty, so... :)

You can get a batttery tender (or maybe it's called a battery minder... whichever). It'll keep it charged through the bitter winter and ready to go on the mild days.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

KidDynomite wrote:Speaking of, I was told by my dealer that any extremely short trip you intend to take (less than 3 blocks) should use the kick start.

However, I have a freaking hard ass time getting it started that way. I wish it'd just start in one or two kicks.

Any tips?
How could anyone take a trip of 3 blocks or less on their scoot??? That's like eating one choc-chip cookie!!!
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

How could anyone take a trip of 3 blocks or less on their scoot??? That's like eating one choc-chip cookie!!!
Yeah, I know what you mean. The dealer was saying that people tend to make up reasons to ride. Like a trip up to the store for cigs or something similar.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

yeah, i find i am taking the long way EVERYWHERE. it should take me five minutes to get home from work in my car, but on betty it easily takes thirty minutes or more!! my boyfriend thinks i am being helpful when i volunteer for errands, but realy i just wanna go scoot. it was rainy here for 36 solid hours, and i was depressed because i couldn't scoot. is there some sort of "anonymous" group for those of us addicted to scootering?!?
big calm

Post by big calm »

mybetty wrote:yeah, i find i am taking the long way EVERYWHERE. it should take me five minutes to get home from work in my car, but on betty it easily takes thirty minutes or more!! my boyfriend thinks i am being helpful when i volunteer for errands, but realy i just wanna go scoot. it was rainy here for 36 solid hours, and i was depressed because i couldn't scoot. is there some sort of "anonymous" group for those of us addicted to scootering?!?
Try prank calling people. It's an old classic yet it still works. It's like being young again.....
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

mybetty wrote: is there some sort of "anonymous" group for those of us addicted to scootering?!?
I think you're already here! :P
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

The kick start on the Buddy is the easiest one I've ever used on a four stroke scooter.
- Bryce
germ

Post by germ »

DUDE! This kickstart serves a major purpose. You have an electric start scooter. The only way to start it if the battery goes out or there is an electric problem is by the kickstart. What if you are out and about and something goes wrong? How will you start it with out a kickstart? I have maybe twice hit the kickstart while using the center stand, It cannot be that big of a deal that you would remove your emergency start. It serves a purpose. LEAVE IT ALONE!

BY THE WAY- My dealer told me that it is a good idea to start the scooter by the kickstart from time to time to keep it in good working order.