Where is the Buddy battery?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

okiejack

Where is the Buddy battery?

Post by okiejack »

Battery went dead ... and need to put the trickle charger on but can't find.

Thank goodness for the kick start.
sparty

Post by sparty »

It's under the floor mat.
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

The battery is located under your floor mat beneath a plastic cover.
Attachments
Battery.jpg
Battery.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

How'd the battery die? Still pretty new, right?
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

You just had to ask didn't you Sparty? he he

How 'bout the ignition key left on over night.

Fortunately, the kick starter works.

Thanks for the reply. I will get the trickle charger going this morning
FlyingGary

Post by FlyingGary »

Can you explain/describe a trickle charger for me, please? I didn't leave the key in the ignition, but somehow the ignition assy remained 'pushed in' even after removing the key (hard to explain, but bottom line is I drained the battery). Was planning on just bringing it into the dealer this weekend, but perhaps I do not need to. Thanks.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

FlyingGary wrote:Can you explain/describe a trickle charger for me, please? I didn't leave the key in the ignition, but somehow the ignition assy remained 'pushed in' even after removing the key (hard to explain, but bottom line is I drained the battery). Was planning on just bringing it into the dealer this weekend, but perhaps I do not need to. Thanks.
A trickle charger charges the battery at a lower rate than a standard car battery charger would. A common choice is the Battery Tender. I have been using mine for years and it does an excellent job of keeping batteries fresh.

As for getting yours charged back up, why not just fire it up with the kickstarter and go for a nice long ride? When you get back you'll be happy and the scoot should be charged! 8)
FlyingGary

Post by FlyingGary »

vitaminC, thats what I was hoping to do but apparently the scooter alternator (if there is one) and a car alternator are a bit different. Basically, Scooterworks told me that once the battery is dead, it is DEAD. You can kickstart and it will run fine (as I've been doing for the past couple of weeks), but the battery will not charge back up. This is what I was told anyways so if someone has a different opinion, do share. And if not, then will a trickle charger be able to charge my battery back up, eliminating the need to bring it into the shop? Thanks.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Perhaps what the shop is saying is that once the battery is below a certain charge level, the Buddy alternator is not powerful enough to bring it back to a full (and useful) charge level. In that instance a trickle charger might do the trick for you, providing the battery is not 100% dead. And even if the battery is toast, a trickle charger is still a good thing to have for when the scoot is laid up for long periods without use.

Should the battery be dead, replacing it is pretty simple and you could do it yourself and save a few $$.