Windy Minnesota

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NathanielSalzman

Windy Minnesota

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Rode the Blur yesterday for a couple hours all total and was just astounded at how well it handled the 30-40 mph wind gusts. There were only a couple of moments when it was a little scary. I just couldn't believe how much of a non-event the wind really was. My wife came out with me at one point on her Buddy and turned back within about five minutes. Not surprising with those 10" wheels. But the Blur just didn't seem to care. Same story today, although thankfully less windy than yesterday. Hooray for spring!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. The wind was such a non issue. You should have ridden your P200 for a little while to compare. Your smile on having the Blur would have grown exponentially !

BTW, did you sell the P200 to the Iowan?
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
NathanielSalzman

Ha ha! Yeah I rode the P200 about a half mile on Sunday and just wanted back on the Blur. I took it 'round the block just to double-check everything before the buyer showed up. Wasn't the guy from Iowa but turned out to be a guy from downtown. I got a TON of interest on it though - almost wish I'd asked for more money. Oh well, I didn't exactly sell it at a loss ;-) Great scooter, but just not my style of riding. Now I'm a Blur boy!
Jeremy W

Post by Jeremy W »

Am I the Iowan that didn't get the P200? :)

I was an hour late -

A local kid opened up a scooter store here in Mason City, Iowa and is selling Genuine Scoots. To support the local folks we may be getting a Buddy.

(I will have my Vespa some day though)
NathanielSalzman

Am I the Iowan that didn't get the P200?
No, you're a different Iowan. Ha ha!

There was a guy in southern Iowa who emailed me the day after it went up on CL who thought he might hop in his truck and just come get it middle of the week. But then I never heard from him again. By the time you emailed me I already had a buyer, he just couldn't come get it yet because of the weather that thursday. He rode it home on Sunday.

The Buddy is a great scoot though, especially if you're coming from a Honda Metropolitan. It'll be like the metro but with get-up!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Sorry to hear the weather has been less than perfect where you live. In The 'Nati (Cincinnati, OH) things are getting green and warm. I had a nice ride today. I'm so glad that the ugly cold weather is gone!

Let's scoot!
Attachments
blur_spring_08.JPG
blur_spring_08.JPG (70.09 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
NathanielSalzman

Nice jacket!!!
lynnie_86

Post by lynnie_86 »

NathanielSalzman wrote:Nice jacket!!!

Alpine stars - love it!
My Shift jacket is pink/black/white, my helmet is bright red, all on an orange and black scoot...no one will 'not see me' because i will be so ridiculously un-matching
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Thanx, I think it is the perfect Blur jacket! 8)

The model is called 'Spinner'. If you want one, I got it at http://www.motostrano.com from Joe. Most sell 'em at $319 (free shipping in some cases - but not all) while he is at $266 + shipping. UPS from Cali to Ohio was $10.

He has a large 'in stock' right now because I ordered one using the handy size chart and found it to be too small so I had to return it for the XL (I'm 6'1" - 180#). If you are thin and wear a medium normally, then the large one will be perfect!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
KCScooterDude

Re: Windy Minnesota

Post by KCScooterDude »

NathanielSalzman wrote:Rode the Blur yesterday for a couple hours all total and was just astounded at how well it handled the 30-40 mph wind gusts. There were only a couple of moments when it was a little scary. I just couldn't believe how much of a non-event the wind really was. My wife came out with me at one point on her Buddy and turned back within about five minutes. Not surprising with those 10" wheels. But the Blur just didn't seem to care. Same story today, although thankfully less windy than yesterday. Hooray for spring!
Watch out for crosswind. I was doing 45 when a front came through and hit me broadside like a rogue wave. Had to throw out my left foot to right myself. Closest I've been to dumping a scooter.

I will say, I don't seem to lose much speed in a headwind despite my considerable girth.

question - do you have windscreen? I've read elsewhere that teh stock Genuine screen can improve top end a bit.
NathanielSalzman

I do have the windscreen and it makes a good deal of difference. However, it's a little too swept back to be as effective as it could be. I think the aerodynamics would be even better if the air stream were pitched just a bit higher. Right now it sends the winds stream straight into my face. Thankfully I'm wearing a full helmet. I'm probably going to try to bend the mounts and get it a little more upright.

But what it does do very well is essentially take my torso out of the aerodynamics equation. Which on the Blur is a pretty big deal as the leg shield is so much lower and smaller than a lot of scooters.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Thanks. I think that will be my second purchase. I've got a luggage rack coming.

I wear a full face too. Do you have the Genuine windshield made for the Blur?
NathanielSalzman

Yeah, I've got the Genuine windshield. The fit is fantastic and it looks trick.

I also highly recommend pulling the orange stickers off. Much cleaner look. With that big ugly "Blur 150" up the side, it makes an otherwise bad ass looking scooter look like you bought it at a fireworks stand.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

NathanielSalzman wrote:Yeah, I've got the Genuine windshield. The fit is fantastic and it looks trick.

I also highly recommend pulling the orange stickers off. Much cleaner look. With that big ugly "Blur 150" up the side, it makes an otherwise bad ass looking scooter look like you bought it at a fireworks stand.
Looks trick. Of course my Blur is all black and gray. I wish I had a little orange on mine. I'll be ordering the windshield next week.