My Tarted Up Buddy. What Should I Do Next? Add Your Photos!

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Should I Add Saddlebags?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 54

twharton

My Tarted Up Buddy. What Should I Do Next? Add Your Photos!

Post by twharton »

Thanks to Scooter Works (http://www.scooterworks.com/) for the Prima pipe, chrome rear rack, and front basket.

Thanks to Motorsport Scooters (http://www.scooterwest.com/) for the chrome cowl protectors, foot pegs, and SX Bag.

You can't tell from a photo but thanks to Xkennx for the turn signal mod. If you look at his mod (viewtopic.php?t=48&highlight=turn+signal) you can see many other scooters in the background. They were taken in his shop and that Buddy is now My Buddy!

And thanks to Dan Buddy for the chrome tape mod idea. Available at any auto parts store and cheap and sharp. I also got the valve stem caps at the auto parts store.

Also thanks to http://www.scooterseatcovers.com/ ....WOW what a selection.

Did I go overboard and exceed the boundry's of good taste? Well YEAH. I know I lost it with the chrome tape but the hell with understated elegance like Dan Buddy. I need a wind screen and want a medium. The Genuine small looks too small and the large is way too big though I like the curves of each. The Prima medium looks the right size but too boxy. Any other suggestions are welcome for mods as I need something to do while cooking ribs this weekend. I think I'm going to add a metal bicycle style horn and or bell. Also need info on adding mirrors...more of them not replacing. This has definitely become an alter ego of me because I am not a flashy dresser but I love my Buddy. 8)

Today, August 2nd, I installed the wind screen and hand grips.

The hand grips make a noticeable difference. Their circumference is slightly greater than the stock grips and gives a more stable feel. At least for my big paws. :wink: The performance improvement due to the wind screen is significant!

SIGH... Isn't he sharp? I love my Buddy. Buddy Love! :D
Last edited by twharton on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: That's farken AMAZING! Very Pimp my Buddy, eh? Whoa....
ModBud #442
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I'm confused by the use of both black and brown...

I could get past all the rest of it (I mean, you are a Breezer after all). :lol: :P
Huh? What just happened?
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Sweet ride. As far as the windshield goes I also wanted a medium height shield so I ordered the tall windshield and cut it down. Turned out great.
Last edited by Dan Buddy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Needs a disco ball hanging off the ignition. All I can say is "WOW" (I do kinda envy you style tho.)
rajron

Post by rajron »

Nice looking!
The seat is great.
macbodock

Post by macbodock »

Very nice!

Now all ya need are the saddle bags!
Scootless in Ft. Wayne
Looking at a
Buddy italia 125
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

OHHH SHINEY! :shock:
twharton

Post by twharton »

Now all ya need are the saddle bags!

I know, I agree (I think) but will it cover up too much?

Check this out!

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/ ... -TAN/1372/

I'm confused by the use of both black and brown...
I could get past all the rest of it (I mean, you are a Breezer after all).
OK AxeYrCat you must have lived here if you know what a "Breezer" is. Did you live in the 'propers' or 'down the highway'?:lol:

I understand about the black / brown confusion but I definitely wanted the utility of a basket and the wicker basket was just too bicycle looking for me soo.
twharton
Northwest, FL
onefoo

Post by onefoo »

AMAZING. Nice job.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

twharton wrote: Did you live in the 'propers' or 'down the highway'?:lol:
East Hill in P'cola proper. I also spent a summer in Gulf Breeze with some friends before I moved across the bridge. But I was only there for a year.

Florida and I didn't get along very well. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I voted no for bags, mostly because they'll obscure or detract from the chrome so-called crash bars. Good thing about saddle bags, though, is if you need them for a trip or something, they're quite easy to remove.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Hey thwarton, what kind of camera did you take your pictures with? Kinda has that soft focus effect. Or is it just a smudge on the lens?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

put on a leisure suit and platform shoes and you are good to go! very retro las vegas :D
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Go with the bags that match the rear bag...will be sooooooo cool!
"Social graces, got any"
lou76

Post by lou76 »

take it further...
twharton

Ordered the Short Windscreen

Post by twharton »

I ordered the short windscreen yesterday from Scoot Richmond
http://www.scootrichmond.com/
and they shipped it same day and the total was only $63.46!!! The NSRP is $99,

Awesome prices and service!!! :clap:

Check out this link for a sound system mod I found which could work for the Buddy;

http://www.kanoa.com/moto/aprilia/soundsystem.html

And check out this beautiful Aprilia Mogito 150! Might be my next.

:clap:
twharton
Northwest, FL
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

AxeYrCat wrote:I'm confused by the use of both black and brown...
The seat cover (which I assume came from Crystal's company) pulls the black and brown together. Don't you know anything about fashion accessorizing? :P
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Very nice! I say no to saddle bags because of the reason Eric gave. It looks nice now, and saddle bags will just detract from your mods.
twharton

Post by twharton »

Thanks to everyone for the input and I'm going to go with the poll and forget the saddle bags. I did order the short windscreen and should have it tomorrow or Tuesday and will update.

I meant it in the title when I said I wanted to see photos of YOUR mods.

My favorite suggestion still is the 'chrome' tape. Cheap and high impact.

Thanks Again!
twharton
Northwest, FL
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Forget this post. I mis-read the first part of this threads topic.
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

twharton wrote: My favorite suggestion still is the 'chrome' tape. Cheap and high impact.
I want to try this. Is it hard to do? Did you have to take the panels off? Your buddy looks great!
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
twharton

Post by twharton »

I want to try this. Is it hard to do? Did you have to take the panels off? Your buddy looks great!

No it is NOT hard at all. I recommend the 1/2" width. I bought mine @ autozone but all parts stores carry it. Read the label to ensure they use 3M tape on the back.

There is a contact strip on the back that you can peel off as you apply the tape. After I adhered a run I went back and cut the joints between the plastic panels (in case I ever have to remove one).

As for prep I sprayed some 409 on a paper towel so it just damp, wiped the area where the tape was to be applied and then immediately dried it with a clean paper towel.

You don't have to remove a thing! The tape is very flexible. Just take your time. After this I even removed the mud flap? extension and the tape went around that tight 'U' shape.

I will post pics after the wind screen and hand grips are installed later this week.

twharton
Northwest, FL
twharton

Post by twharton »

I have no idea how I reversed the quote thing. Guess I need to clear my head and go for a ride. :D
twharton
Northwest, FL
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

I really like that chrome tape. I haven't been much for mods on my scoot, but you've inspired me to try it sometime.
twharton

Post by twharton »

I'm resurrecting this thread to describe my impending mod(s)and to thank Dave Munn at Scoot Richmond whom I consulted with on the next mod. Now all I have to do is wait for UPS.

I have wanted to add a Formotion clock, thermometer, and compass but could not figure out how to mount. The compass will take a 'P' mount which will require a small amount of dremmel work on the handlebar cowl. There is no room on the bars for another mount, though I like the double mount available, so I opted for the large stick on, 1.55" diameter. After cutting out that diameter in stiff cardboard there is no acceptable flat surface on Buddy to mount except the mirror.

I got the idea from another thread using the Formotion 'Spot-Ons'. They are smaller but didn't have the look I was going for. Anyway with a gauge on each of the mirrors it then became a safety consideration. I found a Vespa mounting bracket at Scoot Richmond that I will use to replace the bracket that came with the windshield. I will then install the two 'NEW' Buddy extended mirrors on the inside (I was going to add GTS mirrors but the new ones were just announced) and install the original mirrors on the outside and then the gauges.

In addition I have been painting the 'non shiny' plastic a darker orange. I will post pics here, there, and in a new thread when done.

Tom
twharton
Northwest, FL
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

*bump* i was hoping you might tell me the name of the exact product you used to add the sechsey chrome edging to your scoot. All i can find here is pinstriping which doesn't look the same at all. thanks!
twharton

Post by twharton »

i was hoping you might tell me the name of the exact product you used to add the sechsey chrome edging to your scoot. All i can find here is pinstriping which doesn't look the same at all. thanks!
I don't recall the package brand. I did get it at Autozone, 3/4" in width. Make sure that what you get notes that the tape or adhesive is mfg by 3M. All the decent 'stick-on' junk uses 3M adhesive. For example check out the Formotion gauges and you'll see that their stick on products use 3M adhesive.

I can add that while browsing two other auto parts stores I thought their chrome tape didn't look as good but just my $0.02 Remember it's yours so go for what you want. Also the stuff comes off if you don't like it. I tried some decals and other stuff and immediately ditched it. So I wasted $6 bucks.

I gotta comment in reviewing this thread that the fact that it was even viewed by the legendary ScooterDave who even made a mistake post. It's like I'm I'm I'm

Weird thing is, as there is no scooter club here in the Pensacola area, (baja Alabama, Redneck Riveria) I've been looking at other scooter club sites, found the Vulcan Secte, noted that they have global and galactic representation and thought, no I can't say it...I can't even think it..you know...requesting an audience....no...well to consider....well it IS logical...or maybe a alter Vulcan Secte Scooter Club led by...
twharton
Northwest, FL
Drumwoulf

Whadda do next??

Post by Drumwoulf »

I would take all that icky stuff off the bike. :P

Then buy an Aprilia Mojito 150 instead :!:
(They only cost around $5k...) :shock:

Or...... add the new wider Genuine mirrors?
-And then add another pair, then another pair, then another, then another, then another, then another, etc, etc, etc.... :twisted:

Less is more.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Bags....

Post by Drumwoulf »

Doan wanna be a spoil sport here, but it looks to me like that big SX travel trunk hides 1/2 of yer brake light....??
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
twharton

Post by twharton »

add the new wider Genuine mirrors?
It's in process, parts, ordered, plus more "icky stuff" from Formotion is on the way too.

I'm doing my own paint right now too. I should be done by the end of next week and yes that case does partially block the taillight.

I've got some self education to do on electrical work put plan on 'enhancing' the present illumination with more 'icky stuff' but one of my best pals just expressed an interest in learning how to sail (I windsurf) and brew beer (been doing that for over 15 years) so I'm going to tutor / corrupt him and expect quite a few intoxicated weekend afternoons building this...(had the plans for over 10 years)

http://tinyurl.com/2qcm7y

But what I want to do is get a scooter club going here in L.A. (Lower Alabama ) / North West Florida. This freaking job is totally interfering with all my leisure time plans! Beam me up Scotty! BTW did any of you see recently on HD Reports that James Doolan (Scotty) just had his ashes blasted into orbit!!!! :clap:
twharton
Northwest, FL
nonsense

Post by nonsense »

Not to hi-jack the thread, but you are gonna love building that boat. I spent my high school years building boats on the front porch with my dad. My mom was scandalized :D. I never have learned to sail them as well as I learned to make them.

Best boatbuilding advice I ever heard:
"Experience starts when you begin" - Variously attributed to Pete Culler and John Gardner

I have plans for at least three boats in the garage right now just waiting for more time...

Get to it!
-Cultivate Eccentricity
EBee

Post by EBee »

I wanna know where you got the valve stem covers, those are AWESOME.
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

EBee wrote:I wanna know where you got the valve stem covers, those are AWESOME.
I'm not the OP, but I've got a bunch of fun valve caps from both random roadtrip truck stops and my local bike shop. I've got chrome-look dice and fierce skulls, some red rhinestone ones, and some awesome blinky light tireflies. :D
ModBud #442
twharton

Post by twharton »

I got those valve stem covers at AutoZone and any auto parts store will have a variety plus all the scooter shops. Check on-line or your local dealer (if you have one, I don't :( ).
twharton
Northwest, FL
EBee

Post by EBee »

polianarchy wrote:
and some awesome blinky light tireflies. :D
I bought tireflies but they wouldn't fit without banging against the forks...howja do that??
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

EBee wrote:
polianarchy wrote:
and some awesome blinky light tireflies. :D
I bought tireflies but they wouldn't fit without banging against the forks...howja do that??
Ditto. I forgot to mention that I ended up putting them on my favorite bicycle. :( But my scooter rocks the chrome dice, for now! :D
ModBud #442
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Has anyone seen that reflective tape that is cut to fit around the tire rims? I've seen it on full-size motorcycles & it looks sweet, but I didn't notice any smaller than 15".
Attachments
rims1.jpg
rims1.jpg (65.3 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

more that likely it was standerd reflective tape laid by hand. it can be done with a steady hand.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I have seen this being sold on ebay. The tape is pre-arched and comes different colors. Do a search for "Vespa Rim Tape". I have never tried the stuff yet but for under $11 bucks I just might give it try. I like the cheap mods!
littleao

scooting over the ripples

Post by littleao »

Hoppsan
Last edited by littleao on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Go here if you want the reflective tape: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reflecti ... 0197507111

The Vespa tape search doesn't give you reflective..this is and runs just under $20 for a set. Thanks for the idea..look cool and a nice night safety feature!
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

reflective rim tape from the ebay guy...
Attachments
2184202157_9b5de73cd8.jpg
2184202157_9b5de73cd8.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Oooh. That is nice and more cop friendly than the LED valve cops.
I will have to get some. Thanks for the tip ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
twharton

Post by twharton »

littleao,

That Sand Dollar is beautiful! My plans have changed literally, because of you and in a good way. We are instead building the Penobscot 14.
http://www.archdavisdesigns.com/davis_penobscot14.html
I ordered the plans last night. This is much more what I had in mind to begin with. My buddy (friend not scooter :D ) has a motorcycle background so we agreed after building this and me teaching him how to sail and windsurf we are going to build something like this.

I expect to start on the boat in about a week and the bobber in about a year. Thanks again for the link to Arch Davis!!!

Tom
twharton
Northwest, FL
littleao

Post by littleao »

Hoppsan
Last edited by littleao on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PasadenaSue

Thanks, Lagerhead

Post by PasadenaSue »

Lagerhead -

I just ordered the reflective rim tape for my SI. I opted for yellow for some contrast. Thanks for sharing the photo and the link to buy the tape.

Regards -

Pasadenasue
Lagerhead

Re: Thanks, Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

PasadenaSue wrote:Lagerhead -

I just ordered the reflective rim tape for my SI. I opted for yellow for some contrast. Thanks for sharing the photo and the link to buy the tape.

Regards -

Pasadenasue
Not a problem, don't forget pictures. :wink:
pamalama

Pimped Out Buddy Love

Post by pamalama »

Love what you've done with her, where are the grips from, they're great! What did you decide about the saddlebags? I'm wondering how much room you would have, would it look loaded down?