Calling all Commuters!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

I ride the Buddy to work...

Poll ended at Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Never
6%
Daily, depending on the weather
46%
Daily, in any weather
23%
1-2 days/week
11%
3-4 days/week
14%

Total votes: 35

castleton

Calling all Commuters!

Post by castleton »

School just started in these parts, which means that I just started commuting to work on my scoot.

I love the ride (it's an hour one way for me, about 15 minutes longer than by car) and I'm probably going to ride every day that there's no rain. I'll probably close up shop for the winter, but the gas savings is so gloatable I'll be itchin' for spring.

I have an orange spill-proof coffee mug, and I just purchased a substantial sling-backpack. These are my only "commuter accessories."

Anyone have tips/suggestions/best practices/advice, etc. for commuters?
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

The only advice I can give at this time is watch yourself coming home. If you're the normal 8-5 gal, statistics show most motorcycle accidents are between 4-8pm. Reason being everyone trying to hurry home from work. Lots of stuff going on in people's heads after work so just be that more cautious and alert.
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

BoneGirl wrote:The only advice I can give at this time is watch yourself coming home. If you're the normal 8-5 gal, statistics show most motorcycle accidents are between 4-8pm. Reason being everyone trying to hurry home from work. Lots of stuff going on in people's heads after work so just be that more cautious and alert.
And dusk is pretty much in the 4:30 to 8:30 range all year long, which is the hardest time to see.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

Yep, as the days get shorter, the husband and I are in "discussions" about whether or not he can continue to ride his scooter to and from work every day.

I'm not particularly fond of his riding at night when I'm not with him in general (ok, I flat out hate it). At the same time, it's hard to take away a toy (his daily scooter commute) he's had since late April.
Keys

Post by Keys »

GatsbyGirl, if you forbid him to enjoy a stress-relieving ride home, expect a cranky ol' man. Sometimes life needs to be enjoyed...not feared. Personally, I become resentful as h*#! if I'm forced to drive a car for ANY reason...I even try to come up with excuses to ride the scooter to church on Sunday!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

"Daily, depending on weather" in LA means pretty much every day, with the exception of the rare rainy days. In fact, I now get disgruntled when I have to take the cage in for whatever reason. It could be a beautiful day, I'll have the top down and the radio turned up but my day will be tainted by having to commute by car.
whattheheck wrote:
BoneGirl wrote:The only advice I can give at this time is watch yourself coming home. If you're the normal 8-5 gal, statistics show most motorcycle accidents are between 4-8pm. Reason being everyone trying to hurry home from work. Lots of stuff going on in people's heads after work so just be that more cautious and alert.
And dusk is pretty much in the 4:30 to 8:30 range all year long, which is the hardest time to see.
There's also just more traffic -- cars and scoots or bikes -- on the road between those hours so it stands to reason that the stats would be higher.

I noticed today that (as the days are starting to get noticibly shorter) visibility was particularly bad at dusk. I frequently ride with my brights on to increase my visibility during the daytime. Don't know if it helped today, but I was sure to be extra-cautious. Time to invest in some reflective stuff.
castleton

Post by castleton »

I'm lucky, in that I leave work at 3:15 and get home around 4:15--so far, it's still light here, but I know my days are numbered...

btw, here's the sling backpack I ordered:

http://www.1stluggage.com/files/product ... cisco.aspx

The color "bareback" actually matches the orange buddy!

Does anyone else carry a pack and/or messenger bag?
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

castleton wrote:Does anyone else carry a pack and/or messenger bag?
Since getting my buddy a couple weeks ago, I've been using an old Eddie Bauer over the shoulder laptop bag to commute with. Works great for my needs right now and it fits nicely UNDER my Nelson Rigg rain jacket. I have been looking at getting another/larger messenger bag and saw some cool ones at www.timbuk2.com.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

castleton wrote: Does anyone else carry a pack and/or messenger bag?

I have a Timbuk2 bag that I carry my laptop and work stuff in -- when I need to take that stuff home with me.
Huh? What just happened?
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

Keys wrote:...I even try to come up with excuses to ride the scooter to church on Sunday!
Holy Crap!!...My wife hates it when I do this!!!! That's hilarious!!
dru_

Post by dru_ »

I carry http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... r_Backpack this bag with my laptop and other stuff in it every day (I actually carry two laptops about half the time, a 15" MacBook Pro and a 15" Aluminum PowerBook) in that bag. I'll admit that with both in the bag, it's a little heavy but it feels better on my back than strapped to the back rack.
germ

Post by germ »

I carry a manhattan portage messenger bag that I ordered from new york. They are the best bags ever.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I've been commuting every day I don't have to haul something - including the rainy ones. It's 20 minutes longer by scooter, but it's worth it. It's getting cooler in the mornings here, so the new gloves I have coming in the mail should keep my hands a little warmer.
castleton wrote:Does anyone else carry a pack and/or messenger bag?
I purchased an Ortlieb Velocity waterproof backpack last spring for use on my bicycle. It's come in very handy on the Buddy, allowing me to haul my laptop and keep everything dry. I stand by it as a quality product.
aboyandhisrobot

Post by aboyandhisrobot »

Just rode mine for the first time this morning. 40 minutes to work...it was chilly but fun!
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

castleton wrote:
Does anyone else carry a pack and/or messenger bag?

I have a messenger bag, and just bought a regular backpack today, since I was worried about the messenger bag sliding and shifting while riding. (I've got some massive textbooks :) )

My commute is about 40 minutes each way, M-F. It's a pretty straight shot, and I enjoy it. It'd be about half that if I took the freeway.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I carry a medium size Timbuk2 bag that i got on e-bay. I also use a small backpack for carrying my laptop as it fits more snugly into that than the messenger bag.
For general usage I recommend the messenger bag. Using just that & Brutus's under seat storage I've successfully transported 2 six-packs of bottled beer, 1 four pack, 6 individual size bags of brown rice, one bottle of thai red curry sauce, a cable lock, & a couple of small tools! The only tough carry for the messenger bag was bringing home a dozen roses for my GF the other day...I got a lot of funny looks from other drivers :shock:
I can't wait to see how much I can carry once I get a front rack & a trunk :lol:
Last edited by ScooterMonkey on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
brat

Post by brat »

Well I was some sight the other day. Riding to school with a bag of plexiglass between my feet and globe in a black bag bungeed to the back of the Buddy.
BTW it is hard to bungee down something that round. :lol:
And I don't have a rack yet!! They have not made it to the West Coast yet. :(
You only live once, so get off your ass and LIVE!!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Depending on the weather and where I need to go for that day. If Im going to the office I take my scooter in the morning and then back home for lunch. In the afternoon it depends on what the weather is going to be. Down here it rains almost every afternoon! If I am going out in the field I take my truck so Allie the Wonder Beagle can come along! I kinda wish they made a side car so she could come along for a ride!

BR Not-David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I kinda wish they made a side car so she could come along for a ride!
Hell Yeah! I've wanted a sidecar for my Buddy since day one. I contacted Genuine & was told that they have no plans to make a sidecar at this time, but if demand is big enough maybe that could change.
So let's hear from all who'd like a Buddy sidecar. Aye!
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Aye!
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

BuddyRaton wrote: In the afternoon it depends on what the weather is going to be. Down here it rains almost every afternoon!
BR Not-David
I got drenched driving home from work at 8pm last night for this exact reason. I dont bother going home for lunch so I usually just decide based on the weather in the morning. No rain in the morning means Bubbles goes to work with me. I figure if I get wet on the way home its not as big a deal. It sure was cold rain last night though.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Poll appears to be over. I wasn't able to vote.

However, I haven't started my car one time since I bought my Buddy August 31st and I'm already within 10 miles of 1,400 strong, sound, reliable miles on "Sonny" and it just keeps getting better.

Today, I was "lucky" enough to ride up back roads through the countryside to a county courthouse--for a previous traffic violation. It was a peacefull and thouroughly enjoyable ride.

Temp is starting to drop a little in KC, but with proper dress, any sunny day is a Sonny day!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

brat wrote:BTW it is hard to bungee down something that round. :lol:
For those of you who have racks, I've been using one of these cargo nets on my bicycle. It's been awesome and lot easier than using several, straight bungees. I imagine you could make it work for the Buddy racks.