Belts Revisited

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

Belts Revisited

Post by charlie55 »

Hi:

I know that this topic was already touched upon in a previous thread, but I'd appreciate some further information if at all possible.

As suggested in that previous thread, I contacted scootertronics and was informed that they did not have an exact replacement available for the OEM belt, but that I should be OK with anything within 5mm of the original. When I asked about how long I could expect the belt to last, I was informed that they recommend replacement every 1000 miles for a standard belt, but that I could get up to 10K miles with a Kevlar. Does this sound right?

I also contacted Bando and was informed that the belt was custom-made as OEM and that I would need to contact the dealer or Genuine for replacements. I currently have a call into scooterworks to get that info.

Now, assuming that I can't get an OEM replacement, is there enough leeway in these CVTs to allow for an "almost" match?

The OEM belt specs are, as previously stated, 812 X 20 X 28, which, to the best of my knowledge represent the circumference, top width, and side angle. There's also a measurement of 9.5, but I don't know what that means.

I see that there's a Malossi belt (part # 6111437, Kevlar, I believe) that has a measurement of 815 X 22 (no figure given for side angle). Would I safely be able to get away with this (assuming that the side angle is not that important)?

I'm pretty sure that I'd need a top width of at least 20mm since the service manual, if I'm reading correctly, recommends replacement once the width drops to less than 19mm.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you folks can offer.

Thanks,

Charlie
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

if scooterworks cant get it the were all S.O.L :shock:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

justscooten wrote:if scooterworks cant get it the were all S.O.L :shock:
Just got their new catalog, it's about 100,000 pages and the only blur-specific item in there is the chrome rack.

Did anyone else get it? It came in a weird unmarked envelope, I think someone snuck me an early copy, I hadn't heard anyone else talking about it yet...

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:...the only blur-specific item in there is the chrome rack.
:shock:
showtime2100

Post by showtime2100 »

That sux...Here I am reading these forums and thinking I can get new parts for my blur, but everytime I turn around people are saying that they can't find matches for their blurs: tires, rims, belts, etc. Whats the deal. I thought since Genuine was here in the states we would be good.
RIDIN HIGH!!!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It turns out the catalog I got is a catalog for dealers to show customers. So that's a little scarier, even, actually.

Before we all panic, has anyone even asked about getting an OEM Blur belt from a Genuine dealer? I can't imagine they don't have belts, brake pads, cables, etc, even if they're not in the catalog. If they don't have them now, I bet they're contracting with NCY to manufacture some of the stuff they're not able to get from PGO. You'd think they've sold enough Buddies by now that they'd have pretty serious pull with PGO.

The tires are the weird part, I asked a dealer about those, and he's replacing them with a slightly different size. Scooterworks is even selling Maxxis tires and don't have the Blur ones listed (though maybe they have them, now, I dunno).

BB
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I think it is time for our trusted investigative reporter from 2SB to get the scoop on the Blur's parts availability.

hint, hint :wink: :wink:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

All:

Not to fear. I've been exchanging emails with Brett over at Genuine and he assures me that they will carry consumable parts for, as he puts it, "years and years".

He also stated that belts and rollers should go as much as 6K miles under heavy conditions (open throttle, highway, large rider). Under normal conditions, again in his words, "much, much longer".

Well, that's a load off my mind.

BTW: Getting delivery of an '06 Blur this coming Saturday and the hours just ain't going fast enough.

Thanks to all for jumping in on this thread.

Regards,

Charlie
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Before everyone gets their shorts tied up in knots, when you're looking for parts, don't just look for Blur specific parts - look for PGO GMAX 125 parts and for the engine/transmission, parts for a "GY6" engine of 125/150cc size. Just type in "GY6" on Ebay or Google and see how many hits you get.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

EP_scoot wrote:I think it is time for our trusted investigative reporter from 2SB to get the scoop on the Blur's parts availability.
As Babblefish just pointed out, I'm learning that the Blur has a lot more in common with the ubiquitous GY6 engine than I ever suspected (though it's not entirely interchangeable). I got some good info last night (thanks, John!) and I'm trying to make sense of it.

Bryan
bs318is11

Post by bs318is11 »

Well you do not have to worry about belts. I just received a replacement belt for my Blur. I purchased mine from POC Phil in Cleveland. Its a little pricier than i expected but hey, i have a new belt!