Pulled a Wheelie and I crashed.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HotWabbit

Pulled a Wheelie and I crashed.

Post by HotWabbit »

I was try to emulate my husband and ride a wheelie with my Buddy. I did numerous practice runs and kept getting better. I finally nailed a perfect wheelie, rode it for 25ft and crashed it and it ran over me for another 10 feet. Nothing broken, just some nasty road rash because I thought I was supergurl and was dumb enough not to put any gear on, just the helmet. I went from pure joy and pride, to shock and shame . I didn't hit my head and I killed my pink buddy superficially. My husband and two little ones saw the whole thing! I'm in need of new parts for my buddy and body too. Can anyone tell me what post it was that had the parts for cheap and where to order them from? I'm going to post some pics of the damage. My husband said that the kickstand looked like it hit the ground while I was trying to land it, and possibly caused my crash.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Funny and sad at the same time. I'll let it be a lesson to me as I was recently contemplating learning a wheelie as well.

As far as the post, dig for the one that say's Mine's a Bundy or something like that. I think that's the one where they were talking about new plastic.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
sparty

Post by sparty »

sorry to hear about your accident... The good thing is that you didn't get hurt.

I listed out my inner panels price at viewtopic.php?t=312 However, I doubt that you need to replace any inner ones....

Give your dealer a call. He/she should be able to hook you up.
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

My husband rode a wheelie on it really well, but he said that it was not as smooth as his motorcycle to set down.

Little fact check...I've never riden a wheelie on anything before. :goofy:

Yeah, I know it's crazy, but girl's gotta have fun to right! Thanks, found the link.
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

doing my best not to lecture but :wtf: ?? no gear on ? people are you listening !! Ouch !!! :cry:
I hope you heal quickly and I hope you learned something !
As far as plastic goes, all dealers sell it cheap because it is cheap ! Give your dealer a call. Also really give your Buddy a good look over to make sure you order all the parts you need...good luck ~!
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

I got the same lecture here at home. I know, its a very tough way to learn a lesson.

I'll be giving you a call to order parts. Here are the pics too of what I will be needing.
Attachments
handlebar.jpg
handlebar.jpg (128.29 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
wheel fairing.jpg
wheel fairing.jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
frontview.jpg
frontview.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

Attachments
front light.jpg
front light.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
front rash.jpg
front rash.jpg (123.65 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Pulled a Wheelie and I crashed.

Post by ericalm »

HotWabbit wrote:I was try to emulate my husband and ride a wheelie with my Buddy. I did numerous practice runs and kept getting better. I finally nailed a perfect wheelie, rode it for 25ft and crashed it and it ran over me for another 10 feet. Nothing broken, just some nasty road rash because I thought I was supergurl and was dumb enough not to put any gear on, just the helmet. I went from pure joy and pride, to shock and shame . I didn't hit my head and I killed my pink buddy superficially. My husband and two little ones saw the whole thing! I'm in need of new parts for my buddy and body too. Can anyone tell me what post it was that had the parts for cheap and where to order them from? I'm going to post some pics of the damage. My husband said that the kickstand looked like it hit the ground while I was trying to land it, and possibly caused my crash.
:shock: I suppose there's no point in scolding you for attempting this in the first place, with or without proper gear. You'd have crashed it anyways. But you, your husband, and the little ones are lucky it went down on the side instead of you going down off the back.

Anyone else want to try this? Get one of these first.

I recently read a message sent to a friend who's exploring the wilds of Alaska by his young nephew. The nephew's advice was, "Have fun. Don't die." I hope it's quite a while before we hear of the first Buddy fatality.

Is the damage to the Buddy purely on the plastic parts? Is it ride-able? You should contact your dealer about getting new panels. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the replacements; please keep us posted.
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

just the plastic. it runs perfect. it was a slow speed wipeout. Here's a pic of what can happen even at that slow speed. The other side is fine.
Attachments
ouch.jpg
ouch.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
right side.jpg
right side.jpg (133.05 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Duh!!!!
gmon

Post by gmon »

Just a flesh wound, I would keep riding it. The scratches add character.
just admit it , its fun
nausicaa

Post by nausicaa »

long post

Thanx for the non flaming comment to my wife. Unfortunately, you can always count on a flamer in forums. I've suffered worse on a bicycle as a kid, running hurtles and all kinds of things. Thankfully, never an accident needing medical attention on a bike in 18yrs of riding.

I know people may not agree with pulling a wheelie or stunting, but some people like to do things others will always rudely disagree with or politely admonish (thank you for being gentle on some of the earlier comments). She just wanted to share an experience, good or bad. In this case an unfortunate outcome for trying an unsafe practice.

By they way...I rode many seriously ill wheelies on the Buddy 125, I never crashed. I'll leave my experience at that. As not to encourage anyone to do the same, just stating a fact. ***Normal riding has many dangers in and of itself, hidden or apparent. As well as speeding & cornering. Doing foolish things on or in a motorized vehicle is especially dangerous and possibly fatal, that is also a fact.*** Please, don't twist my words thinking I'm here to condone something that I admittedly do myself. It was painful to see someone I love get hurt!

F.Y.I
To those who may try...just make sure you remove the back stock license plate splash extension, it drags.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Yep, the fender tail was one of the FIRST things to go on my Buddy. As for the road rash...it happens. Simply another story to tell. My sister tried to ride my wife's Helix on the 4th of July. Short story, she careened of the Toyota Matrix belonging to the couple 50 feet away, also waiting for the fireworks to start. Shelly got a pretty fair amount of road rash...still wants her own scooter, though...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

That's my kinda girl.
She got all banged up, but she still wants to get back on it again.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

lol, so I pulled my first wheelie last night. Of course I also scraped the rear extender on the fender and was tossed off the scoot. I held on for dear life on my scoot twice more firing the throttle before I got to the brake to stop it.

Only injuries were neck strain (from holding on to the handle-grip) and ego.

Will eventually pull the whole thing off. I say keep on keeping on before you buy new plastic, just in case it happens again before you master it.

*in no way am I suggesting everyone go out and do this.

I'm merely an excitement freak and really wanna be able to pull off the wheelie at will.
nausicaa

Post by nausicaa »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You had me in tears. I know exactly what your talking about. Torque'e little buggar isn't it. Doesn't feel so small once you get the wheel off the ground, huh? lol Gald to see you in good humor about the whole experience.

Good news, my wife got her xrays and doctors visit and she got off lucky...no broken bones just swelling in the ankle, elbow and bruised hip, and a sore neck too. She's as determined as you are to pull off the landing. She's on a mission too.

:rofl: :clap: :rofl: :clap: I had to use these emoticons for this!
nausicaa

Post by nausicaa »

Sad, but true story, but on oregonlive.com a young man lost his life doing wheelies in a parking lot with friends, a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, his lid came off when he fell and he died on impact. He was riding a motorcyle.

lid = helmet
dudley

Post by dudley »

Sorry to hear about your accident. but quite simply we forget how fragile the human body is, if you are willing to risk, and i am not exaggerating, /injury/permanent injury/paralysis it is your choice. but please be careful, accidents can happen in an instant. Be careful out there.
Keys

Post by Keys »

As the t-shirt says; "Everybody dies...but not everybody lives". Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind to experience something. Life would be very boring and unpleasant if we did nothing that could possibly cause pain, discomfort or even death. Fear is our greatest bondage.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
schroncc

How to Wheelie?

Post by schroncc »

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain the process one would take to pull a wheelie on a Buddy 125?
bwilms

Re: How to Wheelie?

Post by bwilms »

schroncc wrote:I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain the process one would take to pull a wheelie on a Buddy 125?
Wikipedia knows all (or at least is a good place to start).

I can do a wheelie on my mountain bike, but I've never tried it on a motorized vehicle. I imagine the same basic principles apply.
makemusicmike

funny,

Post by makemusicmike »

I don't have a scooter yet, but have been thinking about it perhaps too much. Last night, I had a dream that I was riding with my girlfriend and we were going up a hill so steep that we pulled a wheelie and fell over backwards. she was not so happy in the dream.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I don't have a scooter yet
The key word is YET! Get off your bum and get it done! Make the Buddy yours!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I weigh more than my Buddy. Even with 125cc, I don't think a wheelie is possible.

But that didn't stop me from getting road rash. I think I'll have some wicked scars. Sweet!
Not really from Iceland.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Icelander wrote:I weigh more than my Buddy. Even with 125cc, I don't think a wheelie is possible.
Actually, that probably makes it easier! Just sit waaay back on the seat and see what happens when you gas it! :wha:

(Be sure to wear your gear when attempting such antics!)
nausicaa

Post by nausicaa »

yeah...weight helps I just sat back on it and goosed it and the bike popped right up when i pull it back.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

HotWabbit wrote:just the plastic. it runs perfect. it was a slow speed wipeout. Here's a pic of what can happen even at that slow speed. The other side is fine.
I feel for you dear! My "boo-boos" are still visable over a month after my tumble in front of the scooter shop on my Pink Tink!!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

You crashed too, we should start a crash club. J/K

That's awful sad about you and Pink Tink. If you don't mind me asking what happened and where are your worst injuries. What kinda of damage to "...Tink"? Has Tink been repaired yet?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I was following my husband one evening, he was going to a friends and I was going home. The road we were on was the same as the scooter shop (Atomic Brown). As we drove by, we just happened to see Steve, the owner, outside talking to a prospective customer. Kevin (hubby) tooted and waved, I tooted and waved. That's where it all went to hell in a hand basket! When I raised my right hand to wave hi,not paying attention to the road....I hit an uneven spot in the pavement, pulled on the FRONT brake, scooter stopped, I didn't. I went up and over,slid on the asphalt on my left side, had enough wits about me to roll over mid slide so as not to take all the hide off of my left arm and kidney area. I apparently caught my right ankle on the bottom of the scooter, cuz that was the only place that really bled. Did I mention that I take Blood Thinners?! Hubby saw the whole thing in his mirror and says I tried to do a "Fred Flinstone" and put my foot on the ground to stop....not smart! :cry:
All in all I scraped up both knees,right ankle, belly, left kidney, bicep, tricep and quad, jammed my ring finger. Banged the back of my head and knocked the wind out of me. I was doing about 30-35mph. Had just bought my full face helmet a few days before hand. My silly me, with it being 110+ degrees out that day, I was wearing shorts and a sleevless top, so it could have been a lot worse. I want you to know the asphalt felt like 180!
I got a nice, air conditioned ride on a back board,in an ambulance. I stayed in the ER for a few hours and was sent home, wrapped like a mummy, with some high dose pain killers. Steve and Pam at Atomic were great! They still have my Tink in the shop, so I haven't been on her since the accident Aug. 4th. I scraped up the side a bit, broke the headlight hood(?) and the left break handle. I figured as long as they have it, I'd have some color changes done to her. Changing out the pink interior with black like on the cream Buddy. Wanting to get a Pink Camo Seat Cover too.

I'm healing quite well,the ankle still troubles me some. I did scab over quick enough to take a week long Disney Cruise and then a week at Disney World, we just got back last Friday. I was a bit concerned about the salt water but didn't have a bit of trouble.

Take care and I'll post pics when I get her back.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

Hmmm ... I hope crashing the pink Buddys isn't a trend. These things do happen in threes.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

Somebody better go knock on wood, and quick!! I'm sorry to hear about all the bang ups, hope you both and your pink pals are back in action soon. Geez...I'm getting worried now...my husband doesn't call me "Grace" for nothing...
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

HotWabbit wrote:You crashed too, we should start a crash club. J/K

That's awful sad about you and Pink Tink. If you don't mind me asking what happened and where are your worst injuries. What kinda of damage to "...Tink"? Has Tink been repaired yet?
Have you ever seen the movie Grease? We are all members of "The Pink Ladies" :rofl:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GatsbyGirl wrote:Hmmm ... I hope crashing the pink Buddys isn't a trend. These things do happen in threes.
As has been noted in some of the reviews of the Buddy, it's SO easy to ride that it may lure new scooterists into feeling -- and acting -- a little overconfident. It's important to take it easy and keep your focus while riding, especially if you're new to it. Hell, I leaned it down to the kickstand my first time out on it, something I've yet to do on the Vespa.

While it may sound flippant to offer advice like "don't do wheelies" and "keep your hand on the handlebars," it all comes down to not riding beyond your capabilities. Reading through people's reports of crashes cause by rider error, this pops up time and again as the top reason people go down.
nausicaa

Post by nausicaa »

Eric Clam - Great comment

I've read the statistics and the #1 cause of crashes & death on 2 wheels is cornering. Not other vehicles, and yes, it's all about inexperience. Real experience through education, not how many years on a bike/scooter. To know what,where, and when to take the appropriate action/reaction.

If needed I could try to find the article online. Unfortunately, my bookmarks were accidentally erased and I don't know if I could find it. It's online if you look. I came across it refreshing myself to prepare for winter time riding (Rain, Ice and Snow), as I from time to time do.

Keys - My sentiments exactly ~ LIVE!

Kid Dynomite - I'm thinking Goodtimes.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Kid Dynomite - I'm thinking Goodtimes.
That would be the inspiration...

Yeah, I'm new to two wheels, but I've put nearly 1,200 miles on since purchase August 31.

I too love cornering on my Buddy, but I also know some of my skill is just damn forgiving equipment. I went to Barnes and Noble this past weekend and read parts of a book on street driving techniques for sport bikes. Now obviously my B125 is far from a Kawasaki 1400, but the same principles apply to line and vision when cornering.

I suggest this to any rider. I don't care if you're simply riding in a relaxed environment, it still makes sense to know what the best line is for turns and cornering.

It also has some really good sections on riding in traffic.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

KidDynomite wrote:I went to Barnes and Noble this past weekend and read parts of a book on street driving techniques for sport bikes.
This is also an excellent read: Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I think that's the one I was reading. Thanks for the title. Between that and your reflective tape post, I'm gonna vote you M.V.P. today!

Most Valuable Poster
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

KidDynomite wrote:I'm gonna vote you M.V.P. today!

Most Valuable Poster
Aw shucks, thanks. What can I say, other than I spend too much time not working! :lol:
HotWabbit

Post by HotWabbit »

Dahuffy,

Do you have any pics to post? I would like to see it. I am sorry you had such a terrible fall. I hope you feel better. I still have soreness in my feet and elbows. Fortunately, you have a husband to be by your side to give you some TLC which I got and made a world of difference in recovery time.

You are smart for putting your buddy straight into the shop. Unlike my sorry butt, I rode on it with a bent rim right after going out and about around town looking like "Dumb and Dumber" on their Aspen, Colorado trip.

Yep, I don't care what they say, I am still cool on my jacked up pink Buddy. But, I am not riding it anymore unitl my parts get in. :P

I'll post a pic of my scraped butt parts later...when my parts get in.

I give you my word! I will achieve a splendid and successful wheelie. When that time comes, I am going to post it. :D
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

HotWabbit wrote: I give you my word! I will achieve a splendid and successful wheelie. When that time comes, I am going to post it. :D
Maybe you shouldn't put the new parts on until you've got the wheelie thing all sorted out! :mrgreen: :P