Buddy 50 CVT problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

setbuilder

Buddy 50 CVT problem

Post by setbuilder »

I bought my Buddy 50 2 1/2 weeks ago and yesterday at 350 miles, the transmission started slipping. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. The service department is closed mondays at Scooterworks in Chicago, so I have had 2 days to be angry and depressed w/no answers. Obviously there's the warranty, but I was really thinking that at the 500 mi service I was going to have the 77cc cylinder kit done. Now I am worried that this is a sign of things to come and since I'm sure the mod will void the warranty, I'm having second thoughts about it. Is there anyone who has done any mods and have you had any problems? And since I drive it so much, is there anyone with a lot of miles on theirs and has it been reliable?
Milehibuddy

CVT

Post by Milehibuddy »

:evil: Yep Just happened last week! I could walk faster than the scooter would take off. Full throttle and it would take two blocks just to get up to 20MPH I took the scoot in to Sportique. They found the problem right away.
As soon as he removed the cover, surprise, Grease everywhere. They said it was overgreased from the factory.
Cleaned up the grease, lightly sanded the catch plates. It did not totally fix it but helped alot. Going back in next week to check it again.Mechanic said some residual could still seep into it.
Seems fine at initial throttle and then occasionaly slips between 20 MPH and 30 MPH, then is actually better than it was new accelerating all the way up to 45MPH.
Seems to happen right after large bumps or potholes. Do not know the mechanics well with the CVT but somethings gets ajar or spins more grease after bumps?
Did you get your repaired? What was the problem?
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I was told that I overfilled the oil and that it ran down onto the drive belt. It was my first time filling the oil tank so I had no idea how much it would take. I literally spilled MAYBE a capfull!!! (OK maybe two when you count what spilled out when I put the plug back in) It really sounded fishy to me, but they didn't charge me and it seems OK now. Mine also seems to go a little faster now, I don't know if it's related to that incident, or if it happened at the right point (350mi) that it is now all the way broken in. I have already put almost 300 more on since w/no issues. Also had the 500mi service done and they didn't find anything unusual.

BTW, are you in "downtown Denver?" I only ask because I was there for my brother's wedding a few years ago ( he actually lives in Aurora, and yes he is kind of snobby) and the places that we went that I thought were "Denver" all seemed to be very highway-esque with speedlimits 40 and above. The only place that seemed scooter friendly was what seemed to be the heart of the city. I'm wondering how much of the city we didn't see and if we were lied to about what was actually Denver. I myself live on the extreme southwest side of Chicago and spend most of my time on the Buddy running flat out- Which according to my speedo is just around 50. I am a scooter pioneer in my neighborhood and I assume that most people think I am crazy!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Technically (legally), the warranty is not invalidated, but any damage that can be traced to the mod or its installation will not be covered. This can be pretty broad when you're talking about a cylinder kit.

According to the Buddy warranty, there are only two things that will automatically render it nunll and void: removing or modifying the catalytic converter and failure to have the scoot inspected and maintained by an authorized dealer at 500 miles.
Milehibuddy

Downtowner

Post by Milehibuddy »

Yep, We work downtown and commute from 7 miles south of the city. You can scoot anywhere to just about any destination. The roads here are layed out in a easy grid style so you can always avoid the highways.
I will watch out on over filling the oil as well.
Let us know when you add the 70cc kit and what it does for ya!
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I was going to do the cylinder kit at 500mi, but did not because of the price. Originally I was told that it would be about $300 installed, but last week they said over $500 with labor. I just wasn't comfortable spending that much with so few miles on it.

So probably next year. As for now, I am considering an exhaust when they come in.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I was going to have the 77cc cylinder kit done.
Anyone know if they have such a thing available for the 125? Potentially making the Buddy 125 a buddy 152?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Buddy is available in so many countries under its various names that I'd be shocked if there weren't import cylinder kits already out there. I did a Google search, though, and the best I could find were these on eBay: this one and this one. Neither of which will definitely fit. Maybe the problem is I don't know how to search for "cylinder kit" in German, or Dutch, or Chinese.
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

KD - No, the 70 CC kit can not be put on a 125. The 70 or 77 cc kit is really just of larger piston and associated cylinder. 2 stokes are really easy to work on because there is so little to the engine. No cam, no valves.

Setbuilder, when you where quoted $500, what did that include? It would seem to me, inorder to get the most out of the extra power available from the larger cylinder, you would need to:

1) rejet the carb with something larger,
2) replace the pipe, with a pipe designed for the larger displacement engine
3) change the weights in the varriator
4) change the final gear ratio by replacing the gears in the rear to allow for more speed.

It would be fun to do this, but it starts to get expensive. It's like the kid at our marina who worked the hell out of his Subaru imprezza. For what he spent, he could of had a wrx, a warranty, reliabilty, and money in his pocket.

The Buddy 50 is what it is...love it or buy an Aprilia SR 50 R Factory and go like hell
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

So, here's an update- my other half killed the Buddy! She is truly ok- just bruises,but the Buddy is most likely totaled. I am just waiting for confirmation from my insurance because I don't want to get another one right away and have them say "oh wait, we can fix it!" I really like it but can't pay for two just yet.

So, Sailin, as far as what I was told, I think it included carb work but I am not sure what else. I know a new pipe was not part of the deal and neither were gears.

As for the Aprilia, how fast does it go? I live on the edge of the city and often I am running flat out at 45-50mph. (hopefully mine was not freakishly fast if I get a new one) I still plan on doing the kit, but not untill I get at least 1000mi on it or when I get my "m" license and get a 250 of some kind. whichever comes first.

I also noticed the SR 50 is liquid cooled. Do you know if that will make a difference if you run at top speed all the time as I do?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow. Sorry to hear about the Buddy, but glad your other half's not injured. If it happened in a crash, you should share on the crash stories thread so others can avoid making the same mistake or be on the lookout for certain hazards, conditions, etc.

But you may have the honor of First Totaled Buddy! No way to verify this, of course...
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

Just found out today that the damage is up around $2000. It actually looks fine from pics, but there are scrapes on the whole right side and the "bolt loop " that connects the exhaust to the engine is broken off.

BTW-My experience w/roadside assistance has been awful. I wound up putting it in the trunk of my 1977 Buick Lesabre and bringing it to the dealer myself. I had people taking pics of me in traffic. It looked like a lifeboat on a yacht--
bullitt.buddy

Post by bullitt.buddy »

Buddy 125 performance parts coming real soon........exhaust...etc...
100 MPG, Sucka! That's why!