The Use Of Your Stebel Horn?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyLicious

The Use Of Your Stebel Horn?

Post by BuddyLicious »

Hi,
Hey,I'm curious to know, those of you with the Stebel Nautilus Horns,have any of you actually had to use your horns as a means to get cagers attention
in a hurry? Any close calls maybe. I'd like to hear how the Stebel performed for you in real life situations.Hopefully no one has had to use the horn against cagers huh.

Thanks Tim...
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I've never had to use it as a defense mech yet. The only time I've used it on the highway was when me and my parents pulled out of a gas station and then I realized my gloves weren't on! :shock: I'm really paranoid about my hands getting injured, so I honked to let them know I was pulling over to put them on. We weren't very close together (maybe 150 ft.) and we were going about 50mph and they had their windshields up talking to eachother when I honked. My mom heard me (she was on the back), but my dad didn't. I imagine someone in a car could hear me better since there is much less wind/engine noise. I've honked at them before with my old horn about 50 ft. away at about 40 mph and they didn't hear me, so I'd say this is a pretty good improvement. Plus if you need to honk at a cage to get them to notice you, chances are they're already right next to you to begin with.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I don't have a Stebel (yet) but I have used my horn quite a few times to alert cagers who were moving into my lane.

I think any regular commuter dealing with distracted drivers- cell phone, breakfast, makeup, shaving, in a hurry, etc- has had the same experience.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:I don't have a Stebel (yet) but I have used my horn quite a few times to alert cagers who were moving into my lane.

I think any regular commuter dealing with distracted drivers- cell phone, breakfast, makeup, shaving, in a hurry, etc- has had the same experience.
+1 Word. Yep. Every day.

Some people seem to take offense at being honked at. I take offense and people trying to run me off the road. Use that horn!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I had to tap mine the other night as someone was backing out of their driveway. Everybody in the neighborhood knew I was coming down the road.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have used my Stebel for real only a handful of times since I put it in over a year ago. I considered it "paid for itself" the first time I really needed it.

You know it's real when you're about to get creamed by a clueless lane changing SUV and they don't swerve back away until you let loose on the Stebel.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Are the stebels only on the Internationals or are they on the '08 too? I never realized how loud mine was until I was riding with a group of scooterists and noticed a car backing out toward out group- I honked to alart the driver and the group, and at the stoplight one of the other scooterists said he thought the Car had been honking, not me :) (my scooter horn is much more macho than my mom's Previa Van's :lol: ) I use my horn on a regular basis- for distracted merging cagers, stray cats, stray ducks :? , stray children, and just to show people how loud it is :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Valgal20 wrote:Are the stebels only on the Internationals or are they on the '08 too? I never realized how loud mine was until I was riding with a group of scooterists and noticed a car backing out toward out group- I honked to alart the driver and the group, and at the stoplight one of the other scooterists said he thought the Car had been honking, not me :) (my scooter horn is much more macho than my mom's Previa Van's :lol: ) I use my horn on a regular basis- for distracted merging cagers, stray cats, stray ducks :? , stray children, and just to show people how loud it is :D
Both the Internationals and the other '08's have Stebels but not the same model.

The "regular" 08's come with the Stebel Magnum

The Internationals come with the Stebel Nautilus which is an air horn and roughly twice as loud as the Magnum as well as two tone instead of one.

From what I read, the Magnum is no Nautilus but it sounds like it's pretty great itself.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

The horn on the solid-color '08s is a Stebel, but it's a Magnum, not the Nautilus... Still a great horn, the Nautilus is just a bit louder and has a dual tone. 8)

edit: OOPS! beat me to it...
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Well its scares the -beep!- out of unsuspecting cagers! :twisted: