Problem Starting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Milehibuddy

Problem Starting

Post by Milehibuddy »

:shock: Any one else having problems starting the Buddy in cool weather?

Temperatures have started to drop here in Colorado and my Buddy refuses to start with the electric start if it is below 40 degrees.

Plenty of battery, starter rolls just fine.

I have to kickstart it for about 8-12 times before it will turn over. Once it cranks it is totaly fine and runs fine.

Any tricks or ideas on kickstarting?
Help!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

The Buddy has an automatic choke mechanism, perhaps yours is not working correctly?
thepickupbear

Post by thepickupbear »

Mine is a little slow to start when its warm out, but fine when it is chilly in the morning. I've also found it doesn't like to start when I'm low on gas.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I've also found it doesn't like to start when I'm low on gas.
I've noticed--for some crazy reason--mine doesn't start at all when it's out of gas.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

52 degrees the last 2 mornings in minneapolis and it has started right up. Perhaps it is the auto choke.
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

I also live in CO but haven't had any problems thus far.
germ

Post by germ »

I live in Colorado too and have never had a problem starting. Then again after getting my first scooter stolen my buddy comes in everynight. So she is nice and warm and dry.
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

germ wrote:I live in Colorado too and have never had a problem starting. Then again after getting my first scooter stolen my buddy comes in everynight. So she is nice and warm and dry.
Your Buddy was stolen? :cry: Do you have a story on this board? I can't check your previous forum contributions, should I do a search for a topic in this board?
germ

Post by germ »

It wasn't a buddy. It was a honda elite 80. Stealing a scooter is as easy as picking it up and putting in the back of a truck. It happened in the middle of the night. Needless to say I keep a lock under the seat and use it if I am walking away from it for a while. At night she sleeps inside.
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

RisingSunset wrote:I also live in CO but haven't had any problems thus far.
Uh, scratch that-- it wouldn't start today after work. :( My husband kickstarted it a couple times and it was ok. Sportique said to bring it in if it happens again.