(Tall) Windshield Installation Instructions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

(Tall) Windshield Installation Instructions

Post by sunshinen »

Well, here's the tall windshield and some pics and directions for the non-mechanically inclined

Really, it's not that bad a process. But there are a few potential stumbling blocks.

1. Twist the black circles into the window holes. Just bend and push the side with the indention through to the front of the windshield, and twist and push till it goes through.

2. Assemble the front black pieces: screw, rubber cap, windshield

3. Add the black rubber piece that will attach the windshield to the metal rod. (The skinny hole goes closest to the windshield so that the nut can screw onto the back, the screws go to the outside and the rubber nodule thing to the inside.)
4. Then slide the metal rod up through rubber pieces. This worked best by starting off from inside the headlight hole, going through the bottom piece then twisting to push up through the top piece.

5. Remove the mirrors from the scooter. They just twist off, but note that the right-hand side is reverse threaded!

6. Determine which metal bolt is reverse threaded.

7. Assemble the metal pieces (excluding the rod) and attach to scooter making sure to use the appropriate bolt for each side (The first one I tried was the wrong bolt. It still screwed in, but caused a long and frustrating battle trying to figure out why the other bolt would not fit the other side.)

Also note that, as pointed out by others, the right hand, reverse-thread bolt might be too long. As James Tate recommended, you might want "six or so washers just to be sure you don't bottom out and damage the housing you are screwing into. Make sure to put them above the metal clamp so the height of the shield arm stays the same." topic145.html

8. Slide the windshield on by sliding the metal rod through the clamps.

9. Make sure it is on straight. Easiest way to tell is by looking at the area around the headlight and making sure it is even all the way around. Then hold in place and tighten the bolts, but don't make them immovable yet.

10. Bolt the mirrors on and adjust as needed. Again remember the right hand side is reverse threaded.

11. Tighten the bolts.

Please add any other tips and recomendations. I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, so will post how she fares later!
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Your instructions and pics are excellent. Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate each step. This is a big help!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Definitely add the extra washers, as others suggested. Without them, it is very difficult to get the bolt tight enough to keep the mirrors in place. The vibrations and bumps of the road had them turning all willy nilly on me, so I added 6 washers to the right side and 3 to the left and now my mirrors are nice and snug. :)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Is that the Vespa Tall??
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

It's the one from Genuine. http://www.scomo.net/product_info.php/c ... ts_id/5869

Note: They apparently do not have the black trim all the way around that is shown in the brochure pics.
germ

Post by germ »

The black trim all the way around would probably be a visual hazard.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Yes, on the tall windshield I received the black rubber trim had been cut off(it appeared hastily done) so that only the area around the headlight still has it.
germ

Post by germ »

Same here. It is to protect the bike.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

germ wrote:The black trim all the way around would probably be a visual hazard.
Not as tall as this thing is! LOL. But yes, I think it is safer without it; I was clarifying why my pic might not look like the same windshield in the brochure.
germ

Post by germ »

No worries. I agree with everyone else that it looks cool with the black trim all the way around, but would be unsafe. It really seems that the marketing for Genuine is really slacking. I am a designer and find it hard to believe sometimes on how the launch campaign for the buddy was handled. Those images of the screen should have never been on the site. Wierd to me.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Yes, and why aren't the accessories for the Buddy up under the accessories link on the Web site? I guess they are riding off the love from the Stella, and word of mouth on the Buddy. Of course, that is an advertising tactic in itself.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Seth at Metro told me the black trim in the photo was put there just so you would be able to see the outline of the windshield.
dorothyblue

Post by dorothyblue »

Shellee wrote:Your instructions and pics are excellent. Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate each step. This is a big help!
Yes -- thank you! I would have been very lost without your help. :D
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Have people been paying about $150 for the tall windshield?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

GalacticFattPatt

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

So does anyone have the short one?
I am wondering if the short one would be just as effective. I like the look of the shorter one better.
any one, thanks in advance.
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
castleton

Post by castleton »

I have the short one. I love it--it definitely improves mileage. I also wear a full faced Scorpion exo400 helmet. The wind does go over the top of the short shield and hit me in the face, but I barely notice it.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
GalacticFattPatt

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

Thanks for the tip. Do you wish you had gotten the tall?
I don't want a face full of wind, I would rather have it around me, but I don't want to ruin the asthetics of the bike.
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am bumping this b/c everytime I search for this thread I cannot find it without huge effort! Plus, with a chill in the air, I am certain this will be helpful for those installing (or reinstalling from last year)
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

I just installed the short windshields on me and the wifes buddies, and they go a long way to keeping the cold air off , they look cool and feel more stable at thirty to fiftyfive mph than with out the windshield. The hardware kit also puts the mirrors higher and more outboard, this has been a real plus for me being 6' 4" and being a fair bit wider in the shoulder than my sweetie, the mirror thing was never an issue for her......
"Social graces, got any"