Yo from Philly

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slarcker

Yo from Philly

Post by slarcker »

Hi MB members!

I've been stalking the forum for a few weeks now in anticipation of my new 07 Italia, and today, with perfect weather, I got to pick my new Buddy ("Zeus") up thanks to the wonderful boys at Philadelphia Scooters!
:D

Pics up soon, and I'm getting ready to do the turn signal and horn (nautilus) mods you have all graciously posted about on the forum. Thanks! Also adding a black Givi topbox next week.

PS: whoever owns the 07 black buddy parked near Suburban station every day... looking good! and congrats to Pinky T on the new black gear.

Cheers,
Attachments
Zeus & Me in Manayunk
Zeus & Me in Manayunk
zeus and me manayunk.jpg (154.26 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
krylonics

Post by krylonics »

Not to steal your thunder but I picked up my Italia today as well. I'm certain we both will be happy new parents.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

CONGRATS! Have fun riding those Philly streets :)

Wish I had a scooter while I was there. (Watch out for all those rails)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Manayunk, home of some of the best pizza in North America. Enjoy the SI and welcome to Modern Buddy. I grew up in Philly and did some graduate work there. Great little streets for scooting.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
louie

Post by louie »

If I had just seen a picture of your face, i would know you were on a buddy. :D
Tikka Masala

Re: Yo from Philly

Post by Tikka Masala »

slarcker wrote:Hi MB members!

I've been stalking the forum for a few weeks now in anticipation of my new 07 Italia, and today, with perfect weather, I got to pick my new Buddy ("Zeus") up thanks to the wonderful boys at Philadelphia Scooters!

Pics up soon, and I'm getting ready to do the turn signal and horn (nautilus) mods you have all graciously posted about on the forum. Thanks! Also adding a black Givi topbox next week.

PS: whoever owns the 07 black buddy parked near Suburban station every day... looking good! and congrats to Pinky T on the new black gear.

Cheers,
Congrats on the SI. My friend just traded her Kymco bw150 for the SI on Friday night. Yeah, the guys at Philly Scooters ROCK.

Be sure to come out and ride with us sometime. Are you on the Hostile City SC yahoo list?

Tom
Moderator over on Modern Vespa
Buddy Pusher ... luv um!

P.S. We met Zeus ... now whats your name? :lol: Sounds like you must have met Poliana since you mentioned Pinky T!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Howyadoon?

Just thought I'd greet you in your native tongue! :lol:

The helmet is nice. Jacket, long pants and sturdy over the ankle shoes seem to be missing. (Yes, I am a daddy.)

Have fun.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Man, those SIs are moving—won't be long before they're all snatched up, I imagine!

Congrats on the new scoot. The smile on your face says it all!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
slarcker

Thanks!

Post by slarcker »

Yes, my scoot is Zeus, and I'm Sarah, the proud owner.

I am on the Hostile City yahoo list, and have been anxiously awaiting news of upcoming rallies on the under-construction site. It couldn't be a more perfect weekend for riding, especially when it's my first one on Zeus.

Don't worry ECS - I'm working on the gear. Any recommendations for a good summer-weight protective jacket/pants? My parents ride Harleys, so they're definitely on my case about safety, and rightly so.

Hope everyone is enjoying the (finally) perfect weather!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Hello;

A lot of new members seem to have the Italia – nice looking scoot.
That work thing keeps getting in the way of the better weather.
Keep smiling.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I can only imagine how it must be riding the Fairmont Park, the Museum area, or so many other great locations in Philly. Yeap definitely going to be bringing the scooters out there on my next visit.
Elm Creek Smith

Re: Thanks!

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

slarcker wrote:Don't worry ECS - I'm working on the gear. Any recommendations for a good summer-weight protective jacket/pants? My parents ride Harleys, so they're definitely on my case about safety, and rightly so.

Hope everyone is enjoying the (finally) perfect weather!
I recommend www.newenough.com for gear. You can search for armor/jackets/pants on the main site or go to the closeout pages like I do. I bought a TourMaster armored coat for cold weather and a FIRSTGEAR Venom Mesh-Tex jacket for the rest of the year from them. (I had a rainsuit already, but I just ordered a set of Road Toads by Frogg Toggs from Bass Pro Shops.) Armored gloves are next and then maybe armored mesh overpants.

I wear leather over-the-ankle boots, usually a pair of my old Army boots. I have two sets of hikers that will do the trick, too.

I cringe when I see folks riding 1) without helmets, 2) in t-shirts and shorts, and 3) wearing sneakers or flip-flops. I destroyed a full set of leathers in a wipeout on a BMW R50 years ago at speed, so I'm all about gear. I got up with shreds of leather hanging from me, but I still had my skin, bruised though it was!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I recommend any mesh jacket for warm weather riding. I have the Firstgear mesh-tex 2 (got it from newenough.com). It breathes incredibly well with the liner removed.
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

I've got a Firstgear mesh jacket as well. It works fine, and in colder weather I just put another layer on over it (and sometimes a layer under it as well).
polianarchy

Re: Yo from Philly

Post by polianarchy »

slarcker wrote:Hi MB members!

Cheers,
YO!!!

Howdy, Sarah! Hopefully I'll meet you soon at the scooter shop or on a HCSC ride. Thanks for the compliment on Pinky T's sweet new duds. I'm totally digging your helmet, too. Did you get it at Philadelphia Scooters?!

Manayunk, eh? I'm in Souf-fuladelfia, as they say. :wink:

Enjoy your new scooter! I'm super-FREAKING-stoked on mine. And not just because it's my first one, either! These are really great sturdy little machines.

Cheers,
Poliana
ModBud #442
slarcker

Post by slarcker »

Thanks for the advice on the gear - I'm looking into it.

Poliana - I've had my helmet for a few years (it's HJC), though Phila Scooters can order most anything for you. Sean referred me to HelmetHouse.com, and then supply the guys at the scooter shop with part numbers of whatever you want and they can order it for you.

I actually live on Rittenhouse, and just took the inaugural ride to "the Yunk". Maybe I'll see you and Pinky T around. Let me know when you're going for your next ride!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Thanks for the tip on the helmet, slarcker!

PS: I moved from Rittenhouse to South Philly last summer, oddly enough. Now that it's nice out, you'll see my pink scooter parked where all the motorcycles are at the Square. I still hang out there a lot. See you soon!
ModBud #442
piceloni

Post by piceloni »

It's so nice to see fellow Philly folks representing, especially the females. I just got my Buddy from Philadelphia Scooters about a month ago. Words cannot express my LOVE! I catch myself smiling all the time, when I'm riding around. I have spotted Pinky around town, and I'll have to keep my eyes open for you now Sarah.

My Buddy "Buffy" is a '07 Creme Buddy 125 with multi-color honeycomb graphics on the sides. Toot if you see me. I'll toot back. :D