The Buddy as a daily driver?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Re: The Buddy as a daily driver?

Post by siobhan »

I just bought a grocery hand basket and zip tied it to the rear rack. With some stiff reusable shopping bags it works great. I like this better than a top case, because the top is open, so with bungee chords you can transport some pretty large items in there.
I agree that an open basket is the way to go. I use a milkcrate on the back rack and can pack it with loads of priority mail boxes (I'm an eBay seller). I also have a front basket and put stuff in a messenger bag over my shoulder.

I've been commuting over 3 years by scoot (10 miles round trip). At my new job I was told 2-wheeled vehicles weren't allowed on campus, but I appealed to the head of security (I take up less space, I'm saving the environment, I look cute, etc., etc.) and now I have a reserved parking space right near the guard house so the guys keep a watchful eye on my Buddy.

When I picked up my new Buddy (driven to the shop on the back of my boyfriend's Vespa P200), my first stop on the way home was to the Home Depot. You'd be amazed what you can fit in a milkcrate.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

How useful is the front basket?
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

jfrost2 wrote:I was told once to carry groceries on the buddy, put 1 or 2 bags in the seat storage, tie some bags to the rear rack or rear passenger bars, and loop the handles of the bags around the pegs of the seat opened, then close the seat.

You can hold 5 or 6 bags this way.
You can also get saddlebags to carry even more crap. just try to keep things balanced. Corsair and I are also both big fans of backpacks. We leave the house with a flat one, come back with a fat one. We've done grocery shopping via scoot, and even planned a scooter camping trip for a few days (which we will hopefully get to do again soon!). Just gotta be creative, analytical and thing logistically when it comes to getting your things home.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

OliveOil is used as a daily commuter during the warm weather (which is all but about a month of the year) . Last year I always carried my laptop, speakers and LCD projector with my prima canvas case. Worked beautifully!

You better believe Tall Mocha Buddychino is gonna put on her spring/summer dress and get out there this year! :lol:
Robbie: You hit two cones back there. Those could have been people... they could have been guests at her wedding!

Sammy: [exasperated] They were *cones*!
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

iinigma7 wrote:It's great as a daily driver. There's usually enough room in the seat for me to pick up "a few things for supper" for my wife. If I run out of room I just try to get creative. Once I had to ship a box that wouldn't fit in the seat compartment, so I just put it on the floorboard between my feet. No problems.

I drive my old Jeep Cherokee once or twice a week to keep everything moving, but the rest of the time it's Yoshi all the way...weather permitting.
Sounds just like me - but substitute my VW Bug Gretel for the Jeep...

Robb

The answer is : 42
pamalama

Rain Riding

Post by pamalama »

You guys are a wealth of knowledge....I've only had my Buddy for a little over a week and want so bad to ride it more, but of course since I bought it it's rained every other day it seems. I'm such a sissy and have only put 25 miles on it, I'm afraid to ride in the rain, not experienced enough. I thought I was a big girl because I survived going up and down a huge hill in traffic........but rain?? The idea of that scares the crap out of me. If I had bought a scooter 30 (okay, 40) years ago I would have no fear, now I'm older and somewhat wiser and know it hurts to fall. Crap, at this age I could break a hip! By the way......love those little thumb squeegies!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I simultaniously became a new scooter rider and Scooter Only within a week. I actually sold my car before I got the scooter... title issues, dont ask... But i love being car less. Something that has been working for me with the canvas or reusable grocery bags is twisting the handles before you put them on the hook, to shorten them, and to tighten the handles grip on the hook.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

MikieTaps wrote:...twisting the handles before you put them on the hook, to shorten them, and to tighten the handles grip on the hook.
HOLY CRUD! Why didn't I think of that? It's so simple, yet so INGENIOUS! I was riding the other day with a bag hooked on there just hoping a bump wouldn't make it come off... now I know. thank you. :D