Tall windscreen installed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

germ

Tall windscreen installed

Post by germ »

So I bought the tall windscreen this weekend and installed it myself. I went with the tall because it is already getting cold here in Colorado. And the small windscreen is more for looks as the scooter shop here tells me. It seem common sense that the smaller screen while it may deflect some wind really isn't appropriate if you are trying to keep out the cold.
The installation was very easy. Getting it aligned straight is a little harder but not too bad.
My review is that it is incredible. My test drive was in the 30's with a very light drizzle. I was dry at the end of my ride and was not that cold or wind chaffed. I questioned whether or not it did anything at first until I stuck my arm out to feel the difference and was amazed at how big the difference really was. I can't believe that I usually freeze my ass off out there in that wind. And perhaps one of the best parts that I didn't expect was that it kept the wind off of my hands which usually freeze even with gloves up there. So I would have to say that if you live in a cold winter climate and use your buddy for a daily commute like me, THIS IS NOT AN ACCESSORY BUT A NECESSITY. And it doesn't look as goofy as you would think. It look kind of cool. And it is smarter to be warmer, dryer, and safer than to be concerned with looking cool. Cause you don't look cool freezing your ass off. You look like a fool. Buy this now.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Question. How easy is it to take on and off? Like if I want it on during the winter, but once spring comes around, I want to take it off.

thanks big perm... i mean big germ.

8)
sparty

Post by sparty »

I think it would be very easy to windscreen. I think all you have to do is loosen the two bolts holding the windscreen in place, remove the screen, then tighten the bolts again.

My question is... do the short and tall windcreens share the same mounting holes? I have the short one right now and want to know if it is easy for me to change them. I like the tall one for winter driving but now sure if I want to have it on for a ride around down in the summer.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

sparty wrote:I think it would be very easy to windscreen. I think all you have to do is loosen the two bolts holding the windscreen in place, remove the screen, then tighten the bolts again.

My question is... do the short and tall windcreens share the same mounting holes? I have the short one right now and want to know if it is easy for me to change them. I like the tall one for winter driving but now sure if I want to have it on for a ride around down in the summer.
True. Different screens for different seasons.. I like that..
germ

Post by germ »

Basically the winscreen mounts into the holes where the original mirrors are. So taking it off is as easy as removing the 2 screws and twisting the mirrors back into their original location. Your talking 5 minutes tops. I do agree that different windsheilds for different seasons. But the wind feels nice in the summer so I don't see the point in the small screen unless it helps speed. But the tall screen in the summer would be silly unless you get hit a lot be debris. Now that I have the windscreen my only complaint about the Buddy is that they don't have the classic wide front that blocks the wind from the legs, which is the only wind I feel now.
germ

Post by germ »

PS: The tall windscreen does not in any way effect the stability of my buddy while riding. Nor has there been any noise from the screen. (45mph) The height of the screen is about to the top of my helmet. (I'm 5'9") I would suggest riding it for a while before you decide to alter the screens height. Mine will come off when it warms up.

Also there is a cool affect from the blinkers that cause the screen to glow a little which is kind of cool. I think it is only from behind the screen so I'm sure cars from behind you can see it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I never really though about getting a windshield until yesterday when I went to my scooter shop to check out ski masks. One of the Buddy's had the tall windscreen installed. I thought it actually looked kind of neat but never concidered getting one as I am a minimalist when it comes to my Buddy. My main objective was to be warm enough to survive the 10 mile ride to the motorcycle range for my weekend safety class. Well the next thing you know I had purchased the windshield. I had Pride of Cleveland install it (ouch...didnt ask price before hand....someone here will have to tutor me in taking it off in spring!). This was a good purchase as Am temps were in the 30's , not to mention snow and sleet. burr.

Let me just say...wow. I have no intention of cutting this thing down. I am not sure why people are doing that (why not get a medium?)The difference in riding now is huge. The tall shield is higher than my head and covers my hands. Well bundled up and with ski pants, I was as comfortable as you could be in those temps. Later today, my husband and I switched Buddy's and neither of us could believe the difference. I concur that if you live in a cooler climate and plan on riding most if not all of the winter this is a must! for those that installed themselves, were there any parts you put aside after installation that would be needed when you remove the screen in the spring/summer and go back to just mirrors? I meant to ask the scooter shop but forgot.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

peabody99 wrote:...for those that installed themselves, were there any parts you put aside after installation that would be needed when you remove the screen in the spring/summer and go back to just mirrors? I meant to ask the scooter shop but forgot.
There aren't any special parts set aside. The only tools needed to install the windscreen were a phillips screwdriver and an adjustable wrench/metric rachet set.

Personally, I have no intention of removing the windscreen in the summer. The handling and speed are improved enough that I will stick with it. Not to mention it improves the position of the mirrors. If I do, I wouldn't remove the hardware. I would simply unscrew the screen from the posts and leave the support bars in place. It might look funny, but it is a whole lot easier than taking the hardware off and on.

Plus, after you realize how many bugs are NOT going on you anymore, you'll likely choose to keep the screen installed :)
Last edited by bwilms on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

Just had my small screen installed today & I am already liking it. I think it improves speed, definitely kept some rain off me and there were a couple of bugs on it that didn't end up on me! :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

bwilms wrote:
peabody99 wrote:...for those that installed themselves, were there any parts you put aside after installation that would be needed when you remove the screen in the spring/summer and go back to just mirrors? I meant to ask the scooter shop but forgot.
There aren't any special parts set aside. The only tools needed to install the windscreen were a phillips screwdriver and an adjustable wrench/metric rachet set.

Personally, I have no intention of removing the windscreen in the summer. The handling and speed are improved enough that I will stick with it. Not to mention it improves the position of the mirrors. If I do, I wouldn't remove the hardware. I would simply unscrew the screen from the posts and leave the support bars in place. It might look funny, but it is a whole lot easier than taking the hardware off and on.

Plus, after you realize how many bugs are NOT going on you anymore, you'll likely choose to keep the screen installed :)
^ but your little screen is so unobtrusive and proportional. I have the tall one and look like a bit of dork (more so than normal) but don't care b/c of the huge difference it makes in deflecting cold air. In the summer I kind of like the breeze and can look like less of nerd. I did give the thing a good once over today and like you said I think I can either remove the screen and leave the posts on, or remove the posts and screen and the mirrors are still mounted on the hardware. I agree the mirrors are much better positioned (and easier to adjust) with the screen hardware.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Anyone has access to both tall and short screens? I have a short one now, and am thinking about getting a tall one due to the cold temperatre here... Can someone tell me if the 4 holes (the holes you stuff the rubber thingys through) are the same for the two screens? If so, it would be pretty simple to swtich the screens and I will get one. I am not too keen on screwing around with the bolts and washers that I painstakingly put together.....
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

peabody99 wrote:^ but your little screen is so unobtrusive and proportional. I have the tall one and look like a bit of dork (more so than normal) but don't care b/c of the huge difference it makes in deflecting cold air. In the summer I kind of like the breeze and can look like less of nerd.
Ahh, yes, I see what you mean.
sparty wrote:Anyone has access to both tall and short screens? I have a short one now, and am thinking about getting a tall one due to the cold temperatre here... Can someone tell me if the 4 holes (the holes you stuff the rubber thingys through) are the same for the two screens? If so, it would be pretty simple to swtich the screens and I will get one. I am not too keen on screwing around with the bolts and washers that I painstakingly put together.....
Assuming they fit, and money being no object, I agree this is probably the best of options. I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.