LET'S TALK ABOUT FASCISM!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

setbuilder

LET'S TALK ABOUT FASCISM!

Post by setbuilder »

When you start trying to convince other people not to wear a helmet, you've crossed a very serious line with me, and I will not tolerate it in my forum.

HOW AM i TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE TO NOT WEAR A HELMET???? Read!!
big calm

Post by big calm »

Hey Set, how's it going.....
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I am fine!! Just wish people would accept that there are opinions other than their own!!! I have never tried to stop anyone from wearing a helmet. I am, however, against the movement that would deny anyone the right to choose.
big calm

Post by big calm »

Does my avatar scream left?
jess

Re: LET'S TALK ABOUT FASCISM!

Post by jess »

setbuilder wrote:HOW AM i TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE TO NOT WEAR A HELMET???? Read!!
This is the statement that I threatened to ban you over:
setbuilder wrote:As far as natural selection goes, I strongly feel that helmets have cause the gene pool to become polluted. Helmets have saved far too many people who were too slow or stupid to avoid danger and that "natural selection" would have otherwise taken care of. I also believe that wearing one, just like driving at the posted speed limit lulls you into a false sense of security.

I heard about a study that showed wearing a helmet on a bicycle make you more likely to be hit by a car. I am curious to see it to see if it supports what I have said.
That being said, I'm not going to ban you over that. You've sufficiently convinced me, though, that you have nothing whatsoever to contribute to this forum, and are more intent in being a hothead and stirring up shit. It is extremely rare that I ban someone or even act as harshly as I have here today. Consider yourself one of the lucky few.
BoneGirl

Fascism????

Post by BoneGirl »

America. Love it or leave it. :(
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

setbuilder wrote: Just wish people would accept that there are opinions other than their own!!!

I always remember what Charles Durning said in the movie Home For The Holidays...."Opinions are like a**holes; everyone has one and everyone thinks everybody else's stinks!
baptisto

Post by baptisto »

if you crash with a helmet your head might swell and youll die
if you crash with out a helmet your head might get smashed and youll die

ether way if im gonna go its doing something i love live life to its fullest then you got no worries

helmet laws suck thank god i live in chicago

" peace love dope" :P
all malfunction aside ,,i feel im a better person
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

baptisto wrote: helmet laws suck thank god i live in chicago
:P
Ya, thank god.

We're paying for enough other peoples hospital bills around here.
baptisto

Post by baptisto »

everyones got 2 cents even in squaresville
all malfunction aside ,,i feel im a better person
paige

Post by paige »

Which part of stop discussing helmet laws were you unclear about?
big calm

Post by big calm »

Paige, what's your Saturday night looking like? OSU won so I'm in good shape. Might go to Snookies tonight for some cheese sticks... Savory

Thanks
paige

Post by paige »

My Saturday was quiet, but today I am taking my mom to the Folsom Street Fair in SF, that will be entertaining. Boy howdy! :lol:
big calm

Post by big calm »

paige wrote:My Saturday was quiet, but today I am taking my mom to the Folsom Street Fair in SF, that will be entertaining. Boy howdy! :lol:
solid!
Bert

I'm gone

Post by Bert »

Jess, I notice by your language that you are just not my kind of people. I' gone.
Havn't scootered since '42
BoneGirl

Re: I'm gone

Post by BoneGirl »

Bert wrote:Jess, I notice by your language that you are just not my kind of people. I' gone.
BYE, BYE, BERT!!!!
toga28

Post by toga28 »

I'm all for a person's right to choose helmet/no helmet. Personally, I choose helmet, if for no other reason than my wife saying that if I don't wear one, I can't ride. Maybe she's fascist, but she also loves me. So, I wear my trusty "brain bucket."

That said, today during our gymkhana at the Pandora Strikes Back scooter rally a guy didn't make it off one of the ramps safely and went face-first into the pavement. No bueno. Knocked half of one of his front teeth off, blood everywhere. Not to mention the damage to his pretty scoot. Can't say I didn't think about getting a full-face helmet for a while thereafter...

Or at least think about shielding my face next time I'm headed toward Mr. Ground.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
jess

Re: I'm gone

Post by jess »

Bert wrote:Jess, I notice by your language that you are just not my kind of people. I' gone.
I'd love to hear what parts you find objectionable, Bert.

Honestly, I've been asking myself if it's worth continuing to run this forum. I don't get anything for doing this, I set up this forum solely as a service to the community. The few ads you see running at the bottom of the page are provided free of charge -- a few rally PSAs and one gratis ad for Scooter Seat Covers, because Crystal deserves it.

For all the hours and days I've spent setting things up and keeping the forum running, I get grief when I step in and ban a single whiny malcontent who was not contributing anything to the forum except strife and misinformation. Sure, several people have contacted me privately and said kind things about the incident and how I handled it, but then I see people like Bert, who seemed perfectly happy before, saying he's leaving because he doesn't like my "language". Yeah, that's gratitude for you.

Really, if that's the way the majority of you folks feel, say so. I'll happily find some other activity to occupy my copious amounts of free time.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Jess;

Don’t give up!

It is only one or two that are trying to spoil it.
I look at people like “setbuilder� as just children, like 15 or 16 years old. They have not contributed to society they just sit back and criticize.
Its like “setbuilder� see’s mom make breakfast for him in the morning, the egg yoke runs on the sunnyside up and he tells his mom “you don’t know how to cook� Yea like as if “setbuilder� could even cook.
“setbuilder� and similar types do not know what it takes to make this world go around they have not contributed to society nor do they understand that it is complicated and it takes more than just criticizing to make it run.

This is a fun trip keep it going.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Jess,

Remember that some people don't comprehend the time, effort and expense involved in setting up and maintaining web sites and forums.
But the vast majority of us appreciate and commend you for the work you do for the Vespa and Genuine communities. :clap:
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Jess, Just pull this "fascism" thread off and let's be done with it. Those other two dudes are gone and the rest of us can continue to share the fun and informative topics we've been doing all along. :D

This is a great site and your efforts have made a huge difference to many of us around the country. Don't stop now! :cry:

Thanks for all you do.

Angie
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Unfortunately, the internet, because there is no threat of physical retaliation, seems to foster a kind of social malcontent where people who would never say something antagonistic in person feel they can show their inner asshole anytime they please. I've run online forums and games for 15 years now, and in the time, I've never had a year where I didn't ask myself the same questions Jess is asking himself.

In general, a small percentage of people will never appreciate what is given to them and expect more. A small percentage will appreciate what is given to them. The rest roll through oblivious to the fact that something was in fact given, they assume it just is, without the consideration of how it came to be.

The problem is that the ones that expect more, are vocal and ugly about it. The ones that get it, don't tend to speak about it. Kudo's are rare, and financial support even less so.

This is where modern businesses have failed the communities that build around their products miserably. Right now, people like Jess and Phil Water of PoC are more valuable to Genuine Scooter Co than most of the marketing staff. The reason? the time and effort that goes into these forums, and the grass roots, viral marketing that this and GenuineBuddy on Yahoo provide is much more valuable than any advertising currently in place.

If Genunine was paying attention, they'd be providing assistance to Jess, either through free gear, or a minimal financial boost to fund his 'free' time efforts. At a cost of say $200 / month, they could stay out of the operation of the site, but provide enough financial incentive to keep it running, and viable. IT doesn't even have to be tied to advertising on the site, just providing that support would be enough. Stay out of it andif something negative is posted, Genuine stays out of, they gain more credit by sorting out the problems and letting them be public than they do by trying to hide them, we've seen it time and time again in business.

But I digress, Jess, you are doing a great job, and I for one appreciate the time and effort you put in. It's often a thankless job. PM your paypal address and I'll paypal you beer and pizza money :-)
Babypea

Post by Babypea »

Ditto.
I have received too much informative information, and positive posts in my short experience with this forum.
Please don't stop now.
Since when does anything you say, have any bearing over what I do?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Personally, Jess, I dig the forum and, oh, maybe 99.9% of the folks using are great! I enjoy it a lot and spend probably WAY too much time here. I also enjoy being able to help other "Buddyists" in whatever way I can. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated here. Thanks

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Jess,

I've been lurking here for a while and have found the forum to be very valuable. Great information, good and earnest people. Your efforts are appreciated! I've seen other boards devolve in very unpleasent ways when stuff like this happens so I have to say I'm with BoneGirl with regard to pulling the thread. No added value to it.

My (first) two cents.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I agree with all the positive feedback for you, Jess. This has been my first experience with any message board and it has been a valuable resource. THANK YOU for offering it!

Since you own it, you have the control on removing whatever threads you want to, right? If it's causing you headache, I say remove 'em. This should be fun for you too.
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

I am definitely a lurker here, but I love the info and the tone from 99% of the posts. Jess you are doing a good job, please keep it up!!

I'm with th rest, pull this thread and let's move on!

Dale.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I love this board. Thanks Jess. We appreciate it for sure.
deserthealer

Post by deserthealer »

this board is what allowed me to make an informed decision to chose a Buddy. There appears to be many of us who appreciate what you've done!

Kuddos to you jess :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm hoping this forum will mature as the Buddy community grows. The members will get to know one another better and will show a little more courtesy, respect and restraint than we've seen on some threads. Hopefully, as the tone develops, this will inform new members.

I'm already somewhat turned off by one of the other Buddy forums, where members seem obsessed with overstating the Buddy's capabilities and Vespa bashing. I think we have a head start on them here, where quality information has been available first and the discussion has (in general) been on a slightly higher level.

It's really a matter of self-policing and everyone doing what they can to ensure this forum remains an inviting and informative resource. We should not rely on the Admins and Moderators for this; we have a responsibility as well.
dru_

Post by dru_ »

ericalm wrote:I'm hoping this forum will mature as the Buddy community grows. The members will get to know one another better and will show a little more courtesy, respect and restraint than we've seen on some threads. Hopefully, as the tone develops, this will inform new members.

I'm already somewhat turned off by one of the other Buddy forums, where members seem obsessed with overstating the Buddy's capabilities and Vespa bashing. I think we have a head start on them here, where quality information has been available first and the discussion has (in general) been on a slightly higher level.

It's really a matter of self-policing and everyone doing what they can to ensure this forum remains an inviting and informative resource. We should not rely on the Admins and Moderators for this; we have a responsibility as well.
Yeah, it's about community, and respect, but you'll always find those that wish to overstate, or find superiority in belittling others. It's a sad commentary on the level of social dysfunction that pervades many internet forums. I'm a little shocked it took this long to have one of these threads, that, in and of itself speaks to the capability and affability of the mods and the bulk of the forum membership.

It's a testament to the quality of the information and the membership, that I've elected to participate more here than anywhere else despite electing to go with a bigger displacement 'mini-maxi' 250cc People.