Buddy 125 upgrades

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

toga28

Buddy 125 upgrades

Post by toga28 »

For those interested , I received this email from Brett Ratner @ Genuine today:

Anyway, our sister company, scooterworks.com, 888-96-VESPA is developing a whole range of high performance products for the Buddy 125 and Buddy 50. These include larger pistons/cylinder kits, jet kits, performance exhausts, variator weight kits, etc. I've sampled a lot of these products and I know you will be thrilled with the results.

I do not know pricing and the date these will be available, and it's also important to know that many of these products are for "off road, closed course" operation only, and many of them will void your warranty.

I hope this is helpful information!

We can probably assume these parts will be ready in about "two weeks."
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

:rofl: I won't hold my breath...

Jody
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, for the cylinder kits and some of the other intensive upgrades, it may be best to wait untl your warranty expires anyway. A cylinder kit will surely void any coverage of your engine.

Variators and other upgrades, though... have at it!

Damn Buddy's already faster than my LX150, though. Got to upgrade that first... between that and the 70 or so pounds I have on GatsbyGirl, she's been leaving me in the dust at lights. Damn!
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I'll definately look forward to it!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Me too... My Buddy can use some extra acceleration. If I can add a few more mph to the top speed, I think I can take it on the freeway easily. Right now, it tops off between 60-65 on a windy day.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I want to see a Buddy with a kitted Blur engine.
- Bryce
rajron

Post by rajron »

I want to hear more on the cylinder kits - how do you get in the loop?
Should I e-mail them - I for one am willing to void the warranty for the additional cc's.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I for one am willing to void the warranty for the additional cc's.
I'm certain I won't make it to Spring without these adds if the are available by then. I'm not sure I need/want a Blur for my purposes. The Buddy is so nimble if it had added power, it could be perfect Modern scooter.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Bryce, you get me a Blur engine, and I'll be happy to install it in the General . :D
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Where is the sign-up sheet for these performance kits? I'd be very interested in a little more top end. acceleration is fine, I need more cruising speed to keep up.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DO3 wrote:Where is the sign-up sheet for these performance kits? I'd be very interested in a little more top end. acceleration is fine, I need more cruising speed to keep up.
Do you mean your top speed? 70mph too slow? :)
The promise of cylinder kits and other upgrades is pretty tempting, but from what I've heard they often don't deliver the desired or expected results. You may get increased acceleration from a stop and maybe a little more on the top end, but little improvement in the middle at "cruising speed." Different weights of rollers may also have varied effects, sometimes adding off-the-line speed but reducing top end. And as for pipes, well... they're certainly noisier.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Have there been improvements in performance modifying the variator on the Buddy 125.
Have there been improvements with performance modifying jets on this scoot. I live in high altitude and I can’t help but think my settings should be different than those sitting down near the ocean any suggestions?
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Every time I think about adding 5mph to my Buddy, I start to drool. I just want to be able to cruise at 55-60 without taxing the little guy so much. Sure I can do 65+, but it takes all I've got.

Also, I'm such a noob I really don't even have a clue about several things.

What kind of bang for my buck would I expect--in terms of cornering performance--if I replaced stock tires with some softer performance models? Also, I have the same questions about shocks, brakes, etc.

Looks like I'll be putting about 1500-2000 miles monthly on my Buddy until the weather gets too cold here. How much life should I expect out of my stock tires?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KidDynomite wrote:Every time I think about adding 5mph to my Buddy, I start to drool. I just want to be able to cruise at 55-60 without taxing the little guy so much. Sure I can do 65+, but it takes all I've got.
Best bang for your buck? Get a windshield. It'll add mph and mpg.
sparty

Post by sparty »

ericalm wrote: Best bang for your buck? Get a windshield. It'll add mph and mpg.
Yup. I second that. Windshields are nice.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I'm not knocking windshields here, I'm very happy with mine, but I have a question.
Can someone explain how the Buddy windshields improve speed & mpg? I know very little about aerodynamics but considering the windshield isn't at much of an angle, actually it's not too far off from being a vertical surface, shouldn't this slow me down instead of improve performance?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterMonkey wrote:I'm not knocking windshields here, I'm very happy with mine, but I have a question.
Can someone explain how the Buddy windshields improve speed & mpg? I know very little about aerodynamics but considering the windshield isn't at much of an angle, actually it's not too far off from being a vertical surface, shouldn't this slow me down instead of improve performance?
There's a common misconception that windshields slow you down. From what I understand, your body normally acts as a wind scoop, increasing drag. The curvature and angle of the windshield redirects the wind away from your body so that it hits you at an angle. This sufficiently increases the scoot's aerodynamics. Aside from this explanation, though, there are plenty of windshield owners who swear they work.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

ericalm wrote: Do you mean your top speed? 70mph too slow? :)
My Buddy doesn't get anywhere near 70, if it did I'd be quite happy. Since the speedo is about 10% off and the highest speed my speedo has ever indicated on a flat with no wind is 67 so top speed is really about 61. Now throw in a couple rolling hills and some wind and 55-58 is realistic and pretty much WOT the whole way. If I could cruise along at 60 with a little left in the throttle I'd be very happy.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

the highest speed my speedo has ever indicated on a flat with no wind is 67 so top speed is really about 61.
I have two questions for you because I get my speedo up to well over 70 at times and have actually pegged it at 80 once.

1) Is it weight? I weigh 170

2) What type of break-in did you do? I used a very aggressive breakin alterenating between hard throttle for 8 blocks and easy throttle for 8 blocks.....etc. until 100 miles then been riding hard ever since.
The curvature and angle of the windshield redirects the wind away from your body so that it hits you at an angle. This sufficiently increases the scoot's aerodynamics.
Ericalm, obviously you don't work for NASA, but you know more about it than I do. Would the small windshield be suffice--because that's what I want--or would I need to look towards the large shield and cut it down as others have?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

toga28 wrote:Bryce, you get me a Blur engine, and I'll be happy to install it in the General . :D
Hmm, I have a Blur in my posession right now....think they would notice if I sent it back sans engine?
ScooterMonkey wrote:Can someone explain how the Buddy windshields improve speed & mpg? I know very little about aerodynamics but considering the windshield isn't at much of an angle, actually it's not too far off from being a vertical surface, shouldn't this slow me down instead of improve performance?
Basically, a windshield smooths the flow of air and directs it away from your body. Your torso tends to not be a smooth shape, and is generally covered in materials that are not smooth and will often flap around. Basically, the rider's body increases aerodynamic drag. A windscreen pushes the air up more toward the helmet and off to the sides. Having said that windscreens are good, it's not universally true. Big screens can slow you down and have some drawbacks in cross winds. I personally love little fly screens. They smooth the flow of air while still giving you that wind in your face feel that makes scooting fun.
- Bryce
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KidDynomite wrote:Ericalm, obviously you don't work for NASA, but you know more about it than I do. Would the small windshield be suffice--because that's what I want--or would I need to look towards the large shield and cut it down as others have?
The Boy Scientist in me wishes I did work for NASA. :)
As Bryce just mentioned, even small screens improve aerodynamics. From reading about other people's experiences with windshields, I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and fit. People who live in colder climates sometimes like bigger shields which keep the wind totally off their bodies in the winter. For smaller screens, it depends on your height, comfort and visibility. This is why some people get the bigger ones and cut them down until it feels right.

Me, I just don't like the looks of the big screens. But I'm kind of shallow like that.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Me, I just don't like the looks of the big screens. But I'm kind of shallow like that.
Me, too! I was always drawn to (and owned) "naked" motorcycles, but in the real world a bit of wind protection is a good thing to have!
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

vitaminC wrote:Me, too! I was always drawn to (and owned) "naked" motorcycles, but in the real world a bit of wind protection is a good thing to have!
I couldn't agree more. The day before my windshield came in I got a little taste of the downside of "wind in your face riding" when some tool in a Mercedes threw his butt out of his window,& it flew back,& hit me in the one part of me that wasn't protected, my neck! :livid:
More than anything else that convinced me that a windshield was the way to go.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

KidDynomite wrote:
I have two questions for you because I get my speedo up to well over 70 at times and have actually pegged it at 80 once.

1) Is it weight? I weigh 170

2) What type of break-in did you do? I used a very aggressive breakin alterenating between hard throttle for 8 blocks and easy throttle for 8 blocks.....etc. until 100 miles then been riding hard ever since.
1) 6'1" and 210

2) hard, maybe not hard enough

Going down a hill without a wind I've probably seen 70 on the speedo.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

ScooterMonkey wrote:The day before my windshield came in I got a little taste of the downside of "wind in your face riding" when some tool in a Mercedes threw his butt out of his window,& it flew back,& hit me in the one part of me that wasn't protected, my neck!
I was having a hard time with the visual on this until I realized you were talking about a cigarette. That's what I get for having 11 windows open on my laptop at the same time.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

I got anxious, so I emailed Scooterworks about upgrades. Their reply:

Hi Andy,
Upgrades should be here by spring. The guys at Genuine are working on a cylinder kit and pipe. As soon as something is announce it will be on our website.Also, you may want to get a few more Buddys, in case you damage one jumping a stream or something trying to get away from Roscoe.
Best regards,
Dean

(The Dukes of Hazzard reference is b/c I have my orange Buddy decaled like the General Lee.)
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125