Blur leg room?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chadhargis

Blur leg room?

Post by chadhargis »

I wanted to ask a question of the collective.

I'm looking to park my SUV a little more and get a scooter for commuting duties. I am an avid motorcyclist, and have two motorcycles. I have tried commuting on my motorcycles, but neither of them get anywhere near 70mpg and neither is really conducive to commuting duty.

So this started me on my quest to learn about scooters. I not a fan of the old vintage "Vespa" type looking scooters. I'm 6'5", 200lbs, and have a 36" inseam and most of those type scooters find my knees up in the handlebars. I also don't like the empty space between my knees. I am, afterall, a die hard motorcyclists and I am used to gripping the fuel tank with my knees. I've ridden a few scoots, and they all feel so strange to me with nothing for my knees to do but hit the horn button when I turn.

I noticed that the Blur is a little more motorcycle like in that it has a nice suspension, good brakes, and the fuel tank is in the proper place, between your knees...even if it is a little shorter than a standard motorcycle. I'm very interested in this scooter, but my local shop doesn't have one in stock. They say they have one coming, so I'm stuck waiting for now.

Since you guys are the experts, any of you out there have spider like long legs? If so, do you find that there is enough legroom? I sat on several scooters, and only a few fit me. Scooters which did NOT fit me were....any of the Buddies, the Rattler, Kymco People 150 (actually...this one fit OK, but I was pretty cramped).

The only scooter I sat on that actually fit me comfortably was the Kymco People 250. It felt nice, but it's awfully big and heavy. I'm not only looking to commute on the scooter, but also take it to the racetrack with me when I do track days for a pit bike. A 250 is just too darn big and heavy.

Here's the way I ride my motorcycles....the Blur seems like the right choice if I can fit on it.
Attachments
Nashville Apron (Medium).jpg
Nashville Apron (Medium).jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
DSC_0155 (Small).JPG
DSC_0155 (Small).JPG (44.98 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
jasonkoscho

lanky

Post by jasonkoscho »

im 6'2" 185 and I have a blur. Its def big enough. I mostly ride with my feet slid towards the back, more like a motorcycle position rather than have them up front.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I used to ride a sportbike, so I know how you feel and know what you're looking for - there are a lot scooters that fit your (our) needs, but unfortunately, most of them are not available in the US. The Blur (what I ride) is probably the closes to what you want. It handles well and brakes well; the only bad thing is on left hand turns, the center stand touches down. If you hit it hard enough, the rear tire leaves the ground for some interesting handling excitment - don't ask me how I know this...
Last edited by babblefish on Fri May 16, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Legroom is way more spacious than, say, a Buddy, despite the center hump. Most scooters have a lot more footroom, though, allowing you to move your feet around. If you're coming from M/Cs, you won't notice that as much because you're stuck on the pegs anyway.

I also like to shift around in the seat on longer rides for comfort, again, if you're coming off sportbikes, you're going to feel like you have all kinds of room to shift around, but compared to a old Vespa or Honda MC bench seat, where you can sit in the passenger position and still ride, you feel a little cramped on todays' stepped scooter seats.

Most of us here would argue that the Blur handles more like a motorcycle than a lot of scooters, with a great suspension and brakes (for a scooter,) so it's a good choice for someone coming from the MC world.

Also, if you're just looking to reduce your carbon footprint, simplify, and have fun, go for it, but if you really want to save money on gas, buying a $3500 fourth vehicle isn't the way to go about it. You'll use less gas, but unless you're riding 10 or 20K miles a year on it, it's not "paying for itself." I'm just saying that because you see a lot of news stories about how much you can save on gas by buying a scooter, but the math tells a different story, for example:

viewtopic.php?t=4043&highlight=math+illnoise#44927

If saving money is your main goal, run the honest numbers and see if it makes sense. If you're just looking for an excuse to add a scooter to your fleet, "They're awesome" is a perfectly good excuse. : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Thanks for the info.

I understand the money savings debate, but it's costing me almost $90 every two weeks to fill up my diesel SUV. Diesel is running about $4.25/gallon right now.

I commute about 30 miles round trip 5 days a week in stop and go traffic where my SUV gets the worst mileage.

That's about 150 miles a week of commuting each week. My little diesel if fuel efficient for an SUV at about 20mpg in the city, but that's still costing me about $32/week just to drive to work (or roughly $130/month).

A $3500 scooter, plus tax and registration, with payments made over 48 months at 7% interest will run about $93/month.

Assuming there are days when it's raining, too cold, too hot, or I have to haul something large and can't ride the scooter, I still think that I can save enough to offset the monthly cost of the scooter.

So, it's like I'm getting a pit bike for my track days for free. How can you beat that deal?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

chadhargis wrote:Thanks for the info.

I understand the money savings debate, but it's costing me almost $90 every two weeks to fill up my diesel SUV. Diesel is running about $4.25/gallon right now.

I commute about 30 miles round trip 5 days a week in stop and go traffic where my SUV gets the worst mileage.

That's about 150 miles a week of commuting each week. My little diesel if fuel efficient for an SUV at about 20mpg in the city, but that's still costing me about $32/week just to drive to work (or roughly $130/month).

A $3500 scooter, plus tax and registration, with payments made over 48 months at 7% interest will run about $93/month.

Assuming there are days when it's raining, too cold, too hot, or I have to haul something large and can't ride the scooter, I still think that I can save enough to offset the monthly cost of the scooter.

So, it's like I'm getting a pit bike for my track days for free. How can you beat that deal?
Diesel is about $5.10 a gallon around here. :shock:

Your math/justification sounds perfectly...er, sound to me. But then even if you said you liked the valve stem on the wheel would be justification to buy a scooter in my book. :D
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Well, my math was a BIT off, I forgot to calculate the gas in the scooter, but it will still work on pretty well.

Just saw diesel at $4.39 here today...so that Blur is looking better and better. Just have to find one!
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I see you're from Nashville.

Let me just chime in, even if I am a Buddy rider, and say that East Side Scooters kicks ass.

Great scooter shop with groovy owners.

Go buy one tomorrow.

I'm just saying....
Smellybumlove

Post by Smellybumlove »

i myself come from a superbike background and i found it real hard to get comftable with a scooter.
I rode a g-max 200 a few days back and found it less spacious than any other scooters, there is minimal place to put your feet, though it leans and stops like a superbike the position is more harley davidson than gsxr!.

i think you would be more happy with a rattler, its like a MX bike and handles like a dream, but your size might not be able to deal with it, though i think theres a 6'4'' owner who seems happy enough.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Chad,
I think you will love the Blur, but take it for a ride first and make sure it fits.

Price wide, $3500 + tax and license sounds way high. I would think it would be 3,000-3,200 out the door.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

I sat on the Rattler, but the bars hit my knees pretty bad.

That 110cc 2-stroker would be a lot of fun I'm sure, I just can't fit on it. :(

The gang at East Side Scooters seemed very nice. There is another local shop that carries Kymco, and I may go shop there too, but I really liked the folks at ESS.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

EP_scoot wrote:Chad,
I think you will love the Blur, but take it for a ride first and make sure it fits.

Price wide, $3500 + tax and license sounds way high. I would think it would be 3,000-3,200 out the door.
Considering the bike only cost 2700 as genuine's current MSRP, like EP scoot said, the price shouldnt be more than 3100-3200 out the door, if they charge full price (3500) then they arent that honest.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

What's the MSRP for the 06 & 07 blurs? I thought they were around $3500?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

MSRP is still officially $3500, but yes, you can get a decent deal most places.

Bb.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

They were when brand new in those years, but since genuine discontinued the blur, they have some stock left over in their factory which they clearance.

2006 goes for $2600 plus title and tax
2007 goes for $2700 plus title and tax
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

So if a dealer has one on the floor now then they paid much more than what they would pay now if they ordered one from the factory?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If they have one on floor, they may still charge 3500 for it, unless they themselves clearance it to get rid of it.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Where do you see that, jfrost? They're not on the Genuine site anymore, and Scooterworks (which basically *is* Genuine) still lists both at $3500.

Obviously, there was a push to clear out some inventory a few months ago, and some dealers were getting them at a pretty good discount, and those discounts are probably still out there, but I didn't think the MSRP was ever officially dropped.
KCScooterDude

Blur out the door

Post by KCScooterDude »

I paid $2,800 out the door at a local dealer in Kansas City. I'm sure you could find one at a similar price if you call around. I saw an '06 at Extreme Toy Store in St. Louis about a month ago. I know they will deal on stale inventory over there.
jfrost2

Re: Blur out the door

Post by jfrost2 »

KCScooterDude wrote:I paid $2,800 out the door at a local dealer in Kansas City. I'm sure you could find one at a similar price if you call around. I saw an '06 at Extreme Toy Store in St. Louis about a month ago. I know they will deal on stale inventory over there.
Back then before buying my buddy, I wanted to get a blur, my dealer told me $2700 plus tax out the door was the final price. I told a few people about the great deal genuine was giving dealers on the blur's, then people started buying and seeing if it was for real, so far, there have been a few people who were quoted the same price, and a few who bought their bikes for the similar price out the door.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

My local shop told me they don't deal. They don't charge setup and shipping and that is their "discount".

I understand the need to make a profit, but I'm not paying MSRP for a left over model. If it were an early 2009 and hard to find with no used market, then I might pay MSRP. Otherwise, I'll need to get a discount, or I'll scour the country until I find what I want. Isn't the internet great? :)

I always give my local shop a shot at my business, and if I'm treated right, I'll spread the word. I am an MSF instructor, so I am in front of 25 new riders (many are scooter riders!) about once a month and I'm always happy to share knowledge of a great dealer.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think dealers were given a special price late last year if they bought a certain quantity of Blurs, and for a while, that allowed them to sell them at a good discount over the winter and unload some inventory when sales were slow. I think that glut is gone now, and Blurs might even be getting a bit hard to find.

Right now is prime scooter-buying season, shops are selling scooters faster than they can uncrate and prep them, the deals aren't going to be as great in general. Plus, Genuine doesn't want to devalue the Blur if it's coming out with an '09.

Bb.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Just talked to the dealer. No more Blurs left. :(

Looks like I might have to go with a Rattler and put on a different set of bars.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

illnoise wrote:
Right now is prime scooter-buying season, shops are selling scooters faster than they can uncrate and prep them
No kidding. I was at my shop in town, just looking around while they were doing my 1st service and on the unloading dock area they had about 50 crates from Genuine . . . FIFTY ! :shock:

I was there for about 30 minutes and 2 people came to pick up their NEW scoots.

Now, what does that tell you about spring sales !

If gas prices continue or stay where is at currently for another year or two, you are going to see such an increase on scooters to the point I don't think we can even imagine.

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

chadhargis wrote:Just talked to the dealer. No more Blurs left. :(
none? anywhere!? I find that hard to believe, but if so, you can buy mine for $4300. : )
chadhargis wrote:Looks like I might have to go with a Rattler and put on a different set of bars.
Or hold out for the rumored '09. I bet it will be cooler in some way, whether it's four-valve, more displacement, or just a new paint job remains to be seen.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

Who said the Blur was coming back for 09? Has this been confirmed?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

No, just a rumor. I'd like to see it come back, but I'd rather see a 200/250cc auto stella.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

I've called numerous dealers all over the midwest and the best pricing i could find is roughly 2999 for a 07 blur and 2799 for an 06 and that's before tax, title, license, and prep.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

I emailed Metroscooter in Cincinnati today and they said they don't have any Blur's and couldn't get one either.

I thought they were still available to order from the factory?
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

there still listed on the scooterworks web site.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

Doesn't scooterworks just have 2 06's left and they have them listed at $3500.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

They may truly be out of stock then. Their stock isnt unlimited, so the more you wait, the less chance of getting a blur at all.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Looks like Blurs are gone.

I wish I could see a Kymco Bet & Win 150. That looks like a sweet bike.

My local shop is selling scooters like gangbusters. His stock is mostly Buddies and a few Kymco People models.

I think most people like the retro looking scoots.

He does have a Rattler 110 there and it's an '07. Said he'd be willing to deal on it.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I really liked the buck 10 when I rode it.

It blows away my buddy's suspension and breaks.

nice scoot, but I hit my knees on the bars too.

with a few mods I hear it's a real screamer(for a scoot)

Great hooligan scoot. It would make a great pit bike. IMHO, the buck 10 would be big time fun on the dragon and parsons branch. :twisted:

But blur seems like a real good fit if you can find one. I have seen few on ebay in the past.

~L. Jenkins a.k.a Barker
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've seen a bunch in ohio on ebay. One was in an accident where it was heavily scratched up, no cracks or dents. Another was a repaint of a 06 where everything orange was painted blackish grey.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yep, I just heard that Genuine's pretty much sold out of everything right now.

I thought there was a second shipment of Internationals and Stellas coming, so I'm not sure if that means those *aren't* coming, or more likely, they're already promised to dealers or on their way to shops now, but if you're looking for a Genuine Scooter this year, I'd get to a dealer with some cash ASAP, and don't expect any discounts.

B.
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Chad!!!

Good to see you over here. You may or may not remember me...I'm RTrider on www.bmwsporttouring.com (used to be www.bmwrt.com). Glad to see you're making the transition to a scooter too.

I just recently switched from a motorcycle to a 250cc scooter and haven't regretted a bit. Good luck in your search for a blur!!
Have a great day!

Mike
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

illnoise wrote:Yep, I just heard that Genuine's pretty much sold out of everything right now.

I thought there was a second shipment of Internationals and Stellas coming, so I'm not sure if that means those *aren't* coming, or more likely, they're already promised to dealers or on their way to shops now, but if you're looking for a Genuine Scooter this year, I'd get to a dealer with some cash ASAP, and don't expect any discounts.

B.
Some of the last bikes were sold to moto ohio, they just moved to new spot in Columbus and now are selling genuine bikes after the move.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Great hooligan scoot. It would make a great pit bike. IMHO, the buck 10 would be big time fun on the dragon and parsons branch. :twisted:
~L. Jenkins a.k.a Barker
Barker, my friend. I think a skateboard would be a better choice for Parsons Branch than my Buell. :) Let me tell you how happy I am to have Sasquatch legs as I had to use them to make a few saves of my Ulysses. LOL!

The more research I do on scooters, the more I KNOW I don't want a motorcycle replacement. I have two motorcycles, and my purpose for a scooter is fuel efficient commuting duty in stop and go traffic, running local errands, and for a pit bike. I want something light (easy to load on my track trailer) and something will will haul my 200lb butt up hills at the speed limit (at least 55mph).

The Rattler is supposed to be limited to 55mph. I know you can uncork it, and it will do better, but I'm leery about the reliability of the 2-stroke motor since I don't have any experience with them outside of my weed eater and leaf blower.

I'd very much like to see a Bet & Win 150, and Agility 125, and a Sym HD 200. All of those scoots are a bit on the heavy side with the exception of the Agility.

Any advice from the collective would be appreciated.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Another one to throw on the mix would be the TGB Laser R9 (151cc). Not much heavier than the Agility.

www.cobrasales.com/303r.htm

D.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

Cool looking scoot, but no dealer in my area.

I test rode the Rattler 110, Buddy 150, and Agility 125 today.

Of the three, I liked the cheaper Agility the best.

The Rattler had GREAT brakes, but the 2 stroke felt really weak. Too weak for a 110cc 2 smoker.

The Buddy was really fast, but too small for me.

The Agility was really fun. Fast enough for what I want, handles pretty well, and the engine felt really peppy, even with my 200+lbs on it. Surprisingly, it was the cheapest option.

Anyone have any experience with this model?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

chadhargis wrote:The Agility was really fun. Fast enough for what I want, handles pretty well, and the engine felt really peppy, even with my 200+lbs on it. Surprisingly, it was the cheapest option.

Anyone have any experience with this model?
jprestonian wrote:..take the precaution of putting some blue Loctite on the main exhaust support bolt (faces out on the starboard side) before you do the ride.

I did a 300-mile one-way trip on mine last October, and that bolt vibrated loose, and fell out.
Funny you should ask, I was just 30 seconds ago reading a thread on the ScooterBBS about that scooter and that's the quote from it. The Agility is built in China by Kymco to hold the price down. The Agility is, I am told, a fairly nice machine and not at all one of the Chinese scooters you hear people complain about. However, it may not be quite as high in quality as the rest of the Kymco line. In all fairness, the above is the first specific complaint I've actually heard about the Agility and there are a lot of them out there running around. If you get one, please get back to us and tell us about your experience with it.
chadhargis

Post by chadhargis »

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a used Agility I found. It's so dang affordable. I just can't see any reason not to buy a 125cc scooter for the same price as many 50cc bikes.

For light commuting (stop and go 13 miles each way) and as a pit bike at the race track, I think the Agility would be fine. I'm not going to be taking any 300 mile trips on it. I have two motorcycles for that.