50cc fuel and oil question.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

modernscooter

50cc fuel and oil question.

Post by modernscooter »

So, I did some searching and came up empty... In looking at the PGO site it appears that the specs on the 50cc motor are based on using 92 fuel, so is that what you are running? Also I am interested in what 2 cycle oil you have chosen.

Thanks
dw
germ

Post by germ »

ALWAYS USE THE HIGHEST GRADE GAS. Seeing that we only need a gallon and a half there is no need to use cheap gas anyway. I can't remember the oil I use as it is at home but I will check and post it for you. It was recommended by Sportique dealership.
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I was told by scooterworks that I need only use regular (87) but after 600+ miles and a few tries at different grades, I prefer mid grade (89). Could be in my head but it seems a little more responsive than 91. And as you said, at 1 gallon there's no need to be cheap so I have been sticking with 89.
germ

Post by germ »

As promised here is the oil I use. MOTUL 2t-710. This is what sportique scooters carries and recomends for the Buddy. A 1L bottle was $12.99 at the shop. I have 300 miles on my buddy and am still on the first bottle, but almost done.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Fuel: 88 or 89 octane is likely best. The rating of 92 in the manual is based on a different rating method than US standard, and would translate to a lower number.

My brother has been using Amsoil in his scooters with no problems, including his racing scooter & moped. Their oils are of very high quality. I can have them drop-shipped to you (I'm a dealer) or you can order directly through this link: Amsoil order page

Interceptor is their all-purpose 2-stroke oil, and Dominator is for 2-stroke racing applications. They've been sponsoring dirt bike, snowmobile and ATV racing for years, so the 2-stroke oil performance comes with racing experience to back it up.
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

We have the 50cc buddy, and we now have over 1k miles on it. We use Valvaline 2 stroke oil, and then run high test in it (93). I am an ex-motorcycle guy an all i ran in my bikes were high test. Just think....It only cost 3 bucks to fill your buddy up.....give it the best food! But with the oil, dont buy the cheap stuff, go with name brands and you will do fine. Cheers!
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

We have the 50cc buddy, and we now have over 1k miles on it. We use Valvaline 2 stroke oil, and then run high test in it (93). I am an ex-motorcycle guy an all i ran in my bikes were high test. Just think....It only cost 3 bucks to fill your buddy up.....give it the best food! But with the oil, dont buy the cheap stuff, go with name brands and you will do fine. Cheers!