Is the Rattler's jetting factory set for ALL seasons?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hugo

Is the Rattler's jetting factory set for ALL seasons?

Post by Hugo »

I'm not worried about how it will run in the summer, but I also do a lot of winter riding.
Should there be any concerns about the heavy cold air of winter leaning out the mixture too much? I don't want to be seizing up on a 25 degree day.
I scoot all year, and the only thing that stops me from riding is either heavy rain, ice or snow.
BGK

Re: Is the Rattler's jetting factory set for ALL seasons?

Post by BGK »

Hugo wrote:I'm not worried about how it will run in the summer, but I also do a lot of winter riding.
Should there be any concerns about the heavy cold air of winter leaning out the mixture too much? I don't want to be seizing up on a 25 degree day.
I scoot all year, and the only thing that stops me from riding is either heavy rain, ice or snow.
A stock scooter is typically very versatile and should not need seasonal changes in jetting unless there are unusual circumstances. That said, the Rattler has got to be jetted very lean. I bet there won't be a problem on an unmodified scoot, but give it a check the plug in November when the air dries out and every month or so after. That would be the extreme viligance. Letting performance changes be your guide would likely be sufficient. Adding performance modifications changes everything.
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Well it comes stock w/an 85 main jet. I found this out the hard way. Scooterworks told me to order and install an 85 main and when I went into the carb today to put it in the stock jet that came in it was an 85. :evil: What a waste of my time. I am thinking I will definately be wasting my time if I were to put in the 12g rollers now. So does everyone else have an 85 main as well?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Don't know what main I'm running... but go with 8g weights. You won't like weights heavier than the 9g stock weights.
EZPZ #65
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Dan w/the 8g's along w/2000 rpm spring, Prima pipe how would you explain your low and top ends? Is it still a wheelie machine? What is your top speed?

I'd be willing to bet you have an 85 main as well.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I can't confirm (or deny) having an 85 main jet, but I will find out soon. The takeoff is great with the 8.25g I'm running but I think it will get a touch better with just 8s in there. Top end is roughly the same. I usually cruise to work at about 45-50 (real) so 50-55 Indicated. Downhill or sans laptop etc I've gotten 61ish indicated with my setup. It hates going 25 :evil:
EZPZ #65
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

So the 12 g's would give me more top end but I'd lose the low end torque I've grown to love aye? :?:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Might not even get a higher top end. If you're already getting "top gear" with the stock 9g weights you won't get more speed, just top gear at a possibly lower rpm. That's why heavier weights can bog an engine down, too much gear not enough rpms from the engine yet. It's all hit or miss so try it anyway. You've got a 50/50 chance :D
EZPZ #65
BlackCat50

Post by BlackCat50 »

My Black Cat came with an 82 jet. I just put a Prima pipe on it and was going to put in a richer jet. I put an exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge on my pipe and it shows that the 82 is still too rich. I thought it smelt like it was rich.

My brother, who is a mechanic for an Aprilla race team, says my EGT gauge should be around 1,100 degrees F and it is only running around 800. I will be looking for some leaner jets after the holiday weekend.

This leads me to believe that the factory sets these bikes up to be as versatile and trouble free as possible.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Remember that your black cat is not a liquid cooled RSW race machine. 1100 is probably fine for a race bike (I think the piston will melt at 1400). Race bikes get rebuilt every weekend. I don't think you can truly smell a lean or rich mixture. You can smell more or less 2T oil, but that's not the same thing. Though if they were able to get it EPA approved with an overly rich jetting, that would be impressive. Yet it wouldn't surprise me if it did not need rejetting. Many simple lower end exhausts don't require upjetting on otherwise unmodified scooters. The tecnigas Next exhaust would bolt on to a 2 stroke yamaha Vino (same top end as a buddy) and not require upjetting. Also, have your brother check out the placement of the EGT. a few cms off and you may get a drastically different reading.