Jacket suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bryantbuddy

Jacket suggestions?

Post by bryantbuddy »

I'm looking for a good jacket to wear when scooting. I own an Aerostitch full suit which is tops for serious road riding on a motorcycle but I need something lighter for the city scoots. I tried a Corazzo 5.0, and while I liked the design, the sleeve length was too short (hard to believe for a jacket made for riders). Any other good suggestions not over $250? Thanks
I want to live slow, love soft, die old and have a beautiful memory.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wear a cortech GX sport 2 jacket, water proof, not too heavy to me, and only cost 160, many colors and sizes to choose from. Nice and cool in the warm weather. Winter liner if you ride in the harsh cold.

Might be a bit sporty, but heck it's cheap and it works, cortech makes great jackets. Alot of places who sell them told me they were the #1 selling brand they carried.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

New Enough has it cheaper $143.99 with Free Shipping

http://www.newenough.com/protective_app ... acket.html

What color you looking for?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I prefer corazzo's styles, but their price and quality of padding isnt so great, tthe cortech's have better pads in them and cost 80-100 dollars less.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Yes, I prefer my Corazzo 5.0 jacket above the other two jackets I have.
I do wish the torso was longer in the front, and the sleeves could be a slightly longer--my sleeves are ok, but I can see they could be short for other people.

I have the Cortech LRX Series 2 jacket and I wear that in the fall and it is nice and warm. Well made and much cheaper.

But then Corazzo is a company just starting out and the other company has more established.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:I prefer corazzo's styles, but their price and quality of padding isnt so great, tthe cortech's have better pads in them and cost 80-100 dollars less.
Why do you say that about Corazzo armor? They have CE Knox Armor in all their jackets.

I agree their stuff is a premium price but they are a smaller boutique company and there's a premium to be paid for style. With few exceptions I've read nothing but stellar reviews on forums- including people who have crashed in their stuff.

Just curious... sounds like you're trying to make yourself feel better about your own jacket!! :P (which looks like a great jacket, btw... and no i don't own a Corazzo jacket, I'm just curious why you'd say their "quality of padding isn't so great)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

In my Corazzo 5.0 the armor is the same as the Cortech LRX Series 2.

The Corazzo washes and looked brand new after going through the washing machine and hanging to dry.

I'm going to order the Corazzo Max for my rain jacket. I saw it at the scooter dealer, but not in my size. Very nice jacket and well constructed.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The abrasion rating on most corazzo's are lower than cortech's. The rating for the padding in the corazzo jackets are 500, and the rating for the cortechs are usually at 1680.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:The abrasion rating on most corazzo's are lower than cortech's. The rating for the padding in the corazzo jackets are 500, and the rating for the cortechs are usually at 1680.
That's actually not true...

The padding (armor) is not what has that rating- the shell does.

And, Corazzo (just quickly perusing their jacket specs on their site) uses different types on different jackets: 5.0 and Speedway are 1000 denier Cordura abrasion. And that's on the whole jacket, I believe. The Max is a different material all over and has 500 on impact points.

The spec on the Cortech you own is 600 all over with 1680 panels on the elbow, shoulder and back.

So in many places the Corazzos are stronger.

But again, unless I'm not understanding and reading specs right, this is all about the shell material, not the armor, which, for both jackets is CE approved (CE is a European spec from what I read, somewhat like DOT or Snell ratings on helmets, I'm guessing?).

Anyway... both are great jackets and the best jacket is like a helmet - one you'll wear and one that fits so the armor doesn't move. Right now, my mesh jacket is not very good (even though I think it's a great jacket) because it's been so stinkin' hot I haven't worn it for a week.

I'm only defending Corazzo a bit here because I love to see a smaller company focused on scooter riders. I can't (won't) afford one of their jackets right now, especially since if my all mesh jacket is hanging in the closet in this heat I'm sure the Speedway would too, but I think someday I'll get one as a cool weather (for us down here) jacket.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

I have a Corazzo Shop Jacket and a FieldSheer mesh that I wear.

I also have the standard "motorcycle jacket" with al lthe buckels and belts and stuff

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I know that Corazzo made a couple changes when changing their original hoodie to the Max. One was to increase the length of the sleeves.
I also think the sleeves in later versions of the 5.0 were made a bit longer.

I own several jackets (and would have a dozen if it was up to me!) but the Max is my fave for daily riding around here. I'll need a mesh soon and though I like the Speedway, may have to get something a little cheaper this go-round.

What are you looking for in a jacket?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The "denier rating" has nothing to do with the armor, it refers to the density of the fibers in the fabric part of the jacket, which is generally viewed as a factor in the fabric's abrasion resistance. Abrasion-resistance helps you slide along the ground, preventing burns and road rash and torn clothing and skin.

I'm not sure if comparing the thread count of two fabrics is really the best way to measure abrasion resistance, (it may well be), but it seems to have become some sort of standard by which to compare jackets. I'd think it would have more to do with the fiber texture and composition.

I'm certainly not an expert, but sometimes I wonder if "Denier Rating" is the "megapixels" of motorcycle gear, where it's just a single attribute of a fabric that people latch onto for comparison. I've poked around a little for more info, but can't find anything to prove or disprove that theory
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:The "denier rating" has nothing to do with the armor, it refers to the density of the fibers in the fabric part of the jacket, which is generally viewed as a factor in the fabric's abrasion resistance. Abrasion-resistance helps you slide along the ground, preventing burns and road rash and torn clothing and skin.

I'm not sure if comparing the thread count of two fabrics is really the best way to measure abrasion resistance, (it may well be), but it seems to have become some sort of standard by which to compare jackets. I'd think it would have more to do with the fiber texture and composition.

I'm certainly not an expert, but sometimes I wonder if "Denier Rating" is the "megapixels" of motorcycle gear, where it's just a single attribute of a fabric that people latch onto for comparison. I've poked around a little for more info, but can't find anything to prove or disprove that theory
Yeah I was finding this as I've researched it. I did find the image below on Fieldsheer's site...

Since I wear a mesh jacket I'm not expecting the whole thing to hold up in a slide. Just hold the armor in place at least.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

My jacket has 600D Carboflex as the main material it's made out of, it seems there are EVEN better materials out there, wonder if any jackets are made of them. :lol:
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Well hopefully any jacket is better than riding with a T-shirt on.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I have been wearing my Fieldsheer Mesh jacket for the past month or so and it has been great. Feels pretty damn safe and doesn't look too flashy. They are still on sale at motorcycle-superstore.com for $89. Not a bad price at all.
Attachments
632920106919975794i49661.jpg
632920106919975794i49661.jpg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
gt1000

Re: Jacket sugges tions?

Post by gt1000 »

bryantbuddy wrote:I'm looking for a good jacket to wear when scooting. I own an Aerostitch full suit which is tops for serious road riding on a motorcycle but I need something lighter for the city scoots. I tried a Corazzo 5.0, and while I liked the design, the sleeve length was too short (hard to believe for a jacket made for riders). Any other good suggestions not over $250? Thanks
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. I use the same jackets for both my scooter and my big bike. Falling at 60mph will have the same level of seriousness on either bike. Are you looking for something cooler for the lower average speeds of the scoot?

Strange about the Corazzo sleeves being too short. That's a real design no-no.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
bruce13

Corazzo The Max

Post by bruce13 »

I own a Corazzo Max jacket. I can explain the padding issue. The pads are removable, which is a nice feature. They are held in place in the back with a velco pocket as well as in the shoulders. This allows the armor to easily shift around or out of position. There have been times when I have placed my elbows on a table while wearing the jacket, and noticed that my elbows were directly touching the table, as the pads had slipped out of position.

Yes, they are fashionable and very expensive.

Dress for the fall, not for somebody else. :shock:
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

I got a Cortech GX Air jacket. Unlike others who are more into the "subdued" look, I got a bright red one. I really do want to be seen on my scooter and I don’t mind looking a little like a NASCAR driver. I was a little self-conscious the first day, but I quickly got over it and now I love it. It really does help get me noticed without having to put on one of those DOT worker vests. It’s a good fit, has leather padding over the armor, and the tight mesh is plenty cool in the hot weather. It also has a rainproof/waterproof liner and a thermal liner, which can be added/removed separately, so you can customize the jacket for the current weather. It does get a bit tedious though if you change it around a lot. A little more pricey than some at $199.99, but worth every penny IMO.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

illnoise wrote:...I'm not sure if comparing the thread count of two fabrics is really the best way to measure abrasion resistance... (
But Denier isn't the number of threads, it's the thickness of each thread, isn't it? I would think that that would be a reasonable judge of abrasion resistance when you take the type of fabric into account.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

What? No 1200 count Egyptial cotton :shock: I worry more about the quality of my gloves than the jacket. Just having a riding jacket is more than most people have and is definitely the way to go. Give me a choice between more expensive jacket or gloves and the gloves will win. I went down on my race bicycle once on a downhill (around 45mph). Rashed my leg up good but my gloves saved my hands. After that experience I decided that I'm a big fan of not crashing at all :lol:
EZPZ #65
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Piedmont wrote:But Denier isn't the number of threads, it's the thickness of each thread, isn't it? I would think that that would be a reasonable judge of abrasion resistance when you take the type of fabric into account.
well, exactly, it has more to do with the type of fabric. If you had a fiber that was invincible, 1 denier (I'm being silly) would be better than one million denier of fibers that fell apart easily. Obviously, there's strength in numbers, but one bruce lee fiber can beat up an army of bad guy ninja fibers.

My theory seems to be proven by jmazza's chart (thank you, jmazza), 600D Carbolex is stronger than 1680D Ballistic Plus. So Denier is certainly not the only metric to judge by.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

nissanman wrote:What? No 1200 count Egyptial cotton :shock: I worry more about the quality of my gloves than the jacket.
Yeah... I just bought the first pair I tried on at the shop.. they aren't bad I don't think, leather with some mesh panels and thick knuckle padding, but I wonder how to tell if they are going to hold up. I've only been riding for about five months and the palms are already showing some wear just from gripping the bars.

I also would like to have some armor on the knuckles.

So many safety things to consider!!

And as for the Egyptian cotton, I'm still wondering if anybody's got something in a low-rise bikini, mesh, if possible...

(10 cool points if you name that quote)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:
My theory seems to be proven by jmazza's chart (thank you, jmazza), 600D Carbolex is stronger than 1680D Ballistic Plus. So Denier is certainly not the only metric to judge by.

Bb.
Yeah, like I said that chart came from Fieldsheer's site and is about the different materials they use so maybe it needs to be taken as a marketing piece but like you said, it definitely shows that there's more to it than just "higher number = better."
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

so are Corazzo 5.0 sleeves a little short for a person with a "lanky" build? i was considering buying one and since i have no way to try one on for size... i may have to look elsewhere if this is true.

'08 Tomos Nitro
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

voodoosix wrote:so are Corazzo 5.0 sleeves a little short for a person with a "lanky" build? i was considering buying one and since i have no way to try one on for size... i may have to look elsewhere if this is true.
Contact Corazzo, tell them your dilemma and where you live. it may also help to send them your arm measurements. They are very focused on service (as many can attest to) and won't try to sell you something that wouldn't fit or would be unsafe.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bryantbuddy

Post by bryantbuddy »

gt100 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. I use the same jackets for both my scooter and my big bike. Falling at 60mph will have the same level of seriousness on either bike. Are you looking for something cooler for the lower average speeds of the scoot?
=======================
My Aerostitch is a full body suit, fine for the colder weather but a bit much for a city scoot. In spite of the top speed of the Buddy, my speeds rarely exceed 45. Ten inch wheels and a short wheelbase do not lend themselves to comfortable 60mph travel.

Thanks to all for the fine info.
I want to live slow, love soft, die old and have a beautiful memory.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Hey bryantbuddy, we're just south of Phelps Park. Hope to see you on the road!

I, too, have a Roadcrafter (two-piece) and I'll wear just the jacket, with a pair of jeans, for scooting around town. In the warmer summer months I wear a mesh jacket w/jeans.

I am a huge fan of the Corazzo line, but can't justify owning another jacket while I still have the 'stich.

My two cents, anyway.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

hey I'm thinking of ordering a fieldsheer mesh jacket. Anyone know how their sizes run? I wear a 18-36/37 shirt any tips on what jacket size I should order?