Tunes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Eazy

Tunes

Post by Eazy »

Anyone else listen to music on long rides? What do you listen to when you ride and how do you do it?

I personally prefer music that's mellow and not aggravating. I already have a temper, don't need anything to assist the process. I have a "portable media player" pocket in my riding jacket with a head phone hole. I usually limit myself to only one ear phone (in the right ear, because I'm hard of hearing in that ear, got to save to good ear for sirens and stuff) and just let the ipoo play until it runs out.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Diana Krall (4 albums), Frank Sinatra (2 albums), The Art of Jazz Saxaphone (3 albums), Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live at Diamond Head Crater album, some Dean Martin, Kenny Loggins, Gloria Estefan, etc., on an IPod Shuffle.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
MikieTaps

Re: Tunes

Post by MikieTaps »

Eazy wrote:and just let the ipoo play
Everyone poo's :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I listen to music pretty much EVERY time I ride. Usually some harder stuff like All That Remains, Rise Agaist, Human Abstract, etc...
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

On the scooter:

80's & 90's Alternative, SKA... if I'm feeling slow, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Buffett

On the sport bike:

90's 00's Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, 00-08 Alternative

I stream the tunes from my Motorola L9 to my Dainese lid for stereo sound and phone calls :wink:
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

Wow, a lot of folks listen to tunes. I'm kind of surprised. I guess I haven't taken that step to listening to something while scootering yet. How is everyone listening? In-helmet phones, regular head phones or some other contraption that I an unaware of?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

iPod with regular ear buds... just put them on then pull the helmet over
I make sure I can hear the turn signal clicker over the music, I figure thats low enough for me to hear other cars and such...
Pita1963

Re: Tunes

Post by Pita1963 »

Eazy wrote:Anyone else listen to music on long rides? What do you listen to when you ride and how do you do it?

I personally prefer music that's mellow and not aggravating. I already have a temper, don't need anything to assist the process. I have a "portable media player" pocket in my riding jacket with a head phone hole. I usually limit myself to only one ear phone (in the right ear, because I'm hard of hearing in that ear, got to save to good ear for sirens and stuff) and just let the ipoo play until it runs out.
Sometimes I listen to my '80's new-wave but lately i've been getting into a whole 50-60's jazz/exotica/cocktail lounge thing. If you have iTunes go look for the Ultra-Lounge stuff, it great for riding and for those cool daddy-o bachelor pad parties !!!

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I use the stock iPod earphones, the ones that suck because they let in too much outside noise. Perfect for the scooter because they don't block out those outside noises. Since my iPod is a shuffle I'm at the mercy of my laptop deciding what music goes in there. It's a real treat when some of my son's music makes it in there. B is for bumblebee or Freddie the frog... how's that for riding music?
EZPZ #65
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

headphones while you're riding is illegal in some states. I think some states specify wearing one in one ear is OK, that's what I do, but only on really long rides and I tuck my iPod away so I'm not tempted to fuss with it while I ride.

They make in-helmet speakers that are nice, and they even have bluetooth-equipped helmets now that can talk to your GPS/phone/mp3 player, though I'd need to be doing some serious long-distance riding before I'd want all those distractions. It's hard enough to drive a car and look for songs on your ipod and talk on your phone and microwave a pizza at the same time.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

illnoise wrote:headphones while you're riding is illegal in some states. I think some states specify wearing one in one ear is OK, that's what I do, but only on really long rides and I tuck my iPod away so I'm not tempted to fuss with it while I ride.

They make in-helmet speakers that are nice, and they even have bluetooth-equipped helmets now that can talk to your GPS/phone/mp3 player, though I'd need to be doing some serious long-distance riding before I'd want all those distractions. It's hard enough to drive a car and look for songs on your ipod and talk on your phone and microwave a pizza at the same time.
I know they make some earbuds/headsets that can velcro in to your helemt - those are the ones that I want

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

They do make helmet earphones too. And yes, there are states where wearing earbuds are not allowed. CT is not one of them. No need to fuss with song selection for me, it's only a "shuffle". If I don't like the tune it's only a fast forward button to the next randomly selected tune or wait 3 minutes and I'm there anyway.
EZPZ #65
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

it is illegal in Washington, but i just run the wires up through my jacket :nerd:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Tell em it's your "whisper 2000" so you can hear better :lol:
EZPZ #65
shortbread71

Post by shortbread71 »

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-cases/ego- ... ound-case/

I have a portable one that I use with headphones now, but this would be perfect for my brand new Bu-Bu!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

nissanman wrote:I use the stock iPod earphones, the ones that suck because they let in too much outside noise. Perfect for the scooter because they don't block out those outside noises. Since my iPod is a shuffle I'm at the mercy of my laptop deciding what music goes in there. It's a real treat when some of my son's music makes it in there. B is for bumblebee or Freddie the frog... how's that for riding music?
Haha I get "Here Come the 123's" by They Might Be Giants sneaking on to mine... at least it's GOOD children's music!

But I've actually limited my shuffle recently to exclude genre="children"
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

I've thought about using my mp3 player. Not sure its legal in NYS. Gonna take the back roads to my brother's this morning. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I have been singing quite a lot while I scoot. Didn't realize how much I enjoy it. I even have a half decent voice after a lot of practice. I think everyone does really, its just a matter of finding it. Under a full face helmet no body can tell if you're off key even if they do hear you.

Give it a try! (Just avoid heavy metal head-banging tunes.)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

illnoise wrote:headphones while you're riding is illegal in some states. I think some states specify wearing one in one ear is OK, that's what I do, but only on really long rides and I tuck my iPod away so I'm not tempted to fuss with it while I ride..
True...but that is a tickek I am willing to risk. If I am cited I will just say "yep...you caught me..."

illnoise wrote:It's hard enough to drive a car and look for songs on your ipod and talk on your phone and microwave a pizza at the same time.
Sigh...and I used to be able to double clutch, shift into third, light a smoke, open a "beverage" and unhook a bra all in one smooth motion... :twisted:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

BuddyRaton wrote:
illnoise wrote:headphones while you're riding is illegal in some states. I think some states specify wearing one in one ear is OK, that's what I do, but only on really long rides and I tuck my iPod away so I'm not tempted to fuss with it while I ride..
True...but that is a tickek I am willing to risk. If I am cited I will just say "yep...you caught me..."

illnoise wrote:It's hard enough to drive a car and look for songs on your ipod and talk on your phone and microwave a pizza at the same time.
Sigh...and I used to be able to double clutch, shift into third, light a smoke, open a "beverage" and unhook a bra all in one smooth motion... :twisted:
That is a ticket I'm willing to pay as well........as far as the latter part of your reply Buddy Raton those skills are embedded in your brain and come back like riding a bike. :wink:
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Ahhh, the joy of music.... after I become accustomed to riding back and forth to work, I do indeed think that bringing out the ipod will be a necessity.

A little Leonard Cohen while driving down the road might be soothing!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BuddyRaton wrote:
And then when the officer says, "so you knowingly broke a law? Why would you do that...?" You can answer, "WHY RED IS RED!!
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I decided I'm going to start going to the library and getting books on tape and then ripping them to my ipoo for long rides.

Educate myself a little.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Eazy wrote:I decided I'm going to start going to the library and getting books on tape and then ripping them to my ipoo for long rides.

Educate myself a little.
LMAO, Eazy, I saw this and the first thing that I could think of was The Stig on the show Top Gear... he listens to tapes on how to speak other languages while driving at 100+ mph in sports cars..... The Stig below!
Attachments
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg (5.67 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

Ronin wrote:
Eazy wrote:I decided I'm going to start going to the library and getting books on tape and then ripping them to my ipoo for long rides.

Educate myself a little.
LMAO, Eazy, I saw this and the first thing that I could think of was The Stig on the show Top Gear... he listens to tapes on how to speak other languages while driving at 100+ mph in sports cars..... The Stig below!
I love the stig.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just velcro'd my ipod so I can watch movies while riding.... :wink:
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

ScootLemont wrote:I just velcro'd my ipod so I can watch movies while riding.... :wink:
Safety first right?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ScootLemont wrote:I just velcro'd my ipod so I can watch movies while riding.... :wink:
HAHA!

I AM McLovin!
lou76

Post by lou76 »

sometimes riding deserves a soundtrack more than i deserve to stay safe: job for a cowboy, ghostface killa, mum, pelican, don cab....
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

i use my ipod headphones and put my iphone in a sunglass case in the front pocket holder thing.
i am jamming the new Death Cab for Cutie right now. and the new Hold Steady.
http://www,last.fm/user/riancurtis

it is my belief that EVERYONE should have a last.fm with a hacked iphone that scrobbles everything they play (and also have it scrobble stuff from itunes.) TOTALLY NECESSARY
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

*glancing over my shoulder furtively while typing* Not that I would tell my husband, but I figured I was just going down the road to the grocery store for a few things so I thought I would try a little music. . .

I rationalized that if I got to the edge of my neighborhood and felt a little anxious about the change in my Buddy routine that I would just nix the music then. Good thing I thought to hit "repeat". . . :D It was Three Little Birds the whole way there and back! I thought it was wonderful. What could be better than singing along "every little thing is gonna' be alright"? :wink: I found my feet tapping while I was stopped at the lights, and I don't know for certain yet, but I think it might have been a little help with relaxing a little. I still found myself as attentive as ever, and I could hear all the wind, sounds, etc., but Bob kept me company (except for the O'Jays' Love Train at the gas station).

It was lovely, but I am still a little conflicted about it. I am pretty sure this will be an every-now-and-then thing and not the regular MO.
~Celebrate~
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

runtotorun121 wrote:"Three Little Birds"
Frat boys ruined all of Bob Marley's greatest hits for me in college in the late 80s. I love old ska and reggae and even other Bob Marley songs (Thank God Kaya isn't on Legend), but if I hear any song from Legend anymore, I just get mad and I want to punch a dude in Vuarnets and a yellow Columbia fleece jacket driving a BMW with Lion of Judah bumper stickers because he's SO irie he owns BOTH reggae records! (Legend AND Legalize It)

Man, I'm angry today. I had too much sugar or something.

It's a great song, don't get me wrong, and no offense, It's not you, it's me, I just can't hear it out of that context anymore.

The Postmarks just came out with a nice version of that, though. It's a free track on eMusic this month.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

Skootaway by Dire Straits
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lou76 wrote:don cab....
Oh, dude, I don't think I could ride listening to Don Caballero, I'd start counting beats and black out. Math rock and scootering don't mix.

That'd be perfect for drunk cornfield rides, though.

Bryan