HID no more...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nissanman

HID no more...

Post by nissanman »

I hate giving up on something, but I feel there is no other good solution here. The HID was awesome, but I have no way of making enough power with the Rattler to power it. On a fully charged battery I get just over an hour of riding time before it goes dead. Not too practical for everyday use. So I sent it back... and spent the $$$ on other lights :D I'm now waiting for the crash proof rear signals, some LEDs for the front signals and a new PIAA HS1 for the headlight (just recently available). Also picked up the relays for the LED turn signals so they'll flash at the right speed. I should get all my parts by next week, but of course I'm on vacation. So the following week I'll get to installing and picture taking. They'll be up at genuinerattler (yahoo group) ASAP :!:
EZPZ #65
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

let us know how it goes...i recently had to ride a few miles home at 4am...man it was black out. even with the high beams on. i think that'll be my first upgrade. hehehe
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Got everything installed... now I need time to ride at night, gonna rain tomorrow :x
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thanks for keeping us updated on this
I look forward to your test of the HS1
If it gets your approval... I will be ordering one ASAP
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

indeed, i just got done riding, it's 10 now...while the headlight isn't horrible, i think, it could use help.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

so... your NOT reccomending the HS1 - right?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

No pictures yet, but my initial feelings on the PIAA HS1 replacement. Definitely an upgrade from stock, not a HID. But seeing the price difference and the fact a Xenon draws too much power and the HS1 is a direct replacement upgrade... I'd say the upgrade is worth it. I got mine at spoiledbiker.com for $45+/-
EZPZ #65
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

cool, from all the other rattler owner, thank you, for all your leg work.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScootLemont wrote:so... your NOT reccomending the HS1 - right?
Sorry about that guys.... I got mixed up - thought brimstone had tried the new bulb & didnt like it "while the headlight isn't horrible, i think, it could use help"

thats what I get for reading the forum & posting from my blackberry
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

hehehehe....sorry, i was talking about the standard bulb. my wife complains that i mumble too. :D
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

If you are curious about the other lights.... :idea: If you want to mod the front turn signal housings the LED replacement 7507 bulbs are much brighter and need some encouragement to fit in there. I put a LED bulb in the back in place of my 1157 bulb, you can tell it's a LED but it's not much brighter. I replaced my rear signals with the electrosport crash proof ones, I like them. I'm going to get pictures up at genuinerattler (yahoo group) ASAP and I've described all my installs in the technical section at www.epsp.us
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

nissanman wrote: I'd say the upgrade is worth it. I got mine at spoiledbiker.com for $45+/-
So... now that you have had the new bulb for a week... have you had much time to do night riding?

If so... what do you think of the HS1?

- Thanks for being the "pioneer"
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

It's worth the $50 w/shipping to get one. No worries of overloading the stock wiring (by using a H4 halogen, they do fit). It's no HID, but it doesn't have any of the problems with a HID setup either. I'm waiting for a dark night to get some more pics (no moon) so we can all see the difference from stock to HID to PIAA HS1. 2 out of those 3 are already at genuinerattler group.
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thanks
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Any update on the HS1?
how are you liking it?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I really like the bulb, now I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate to get some pics. I like to use a night with no moonlight in the background. And no rain either... haven't had one in a while :cry:
EZPZ #65
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

wOOT :!: Finally I had the right weather to get the PIAA HS1 bulb pictures taken. I also snapped a few shots of the LED turnsignals in action too. Check 'em out at genuinerattler...
Attachments
LEDflashers2.JPG
LEDflashers2.JPG (68.63 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thanks - I just checked out the pics on the other board... looks like I will be ordering the bulb after the weekend
This was good timing as I just got back form a 10pm ride & it was a little dark when I got away from the streetlights
Thanks for doing the work on this for the rest of us