Newbie ~ ~ Suggestions / Advice Requested before I purchase

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PondMermaid

Newbie ~ ~ Suggestions / Advice Requested before I purchase

Post by PondMermaid »

Hellooo ~ I am just about to purchase a my Buddy ~ 50cc PINK Scooter ~ to ride to/from work. I want it pink as I am a 3 year Survivor of Stage 3a Breast Cancer ~ but I am a pink gal before BC.

I am thinking to get the windscreen, pink hand covers, pink helmet, rear chrome rack or black. I wanted a chrome front basket but it only comes in wicker or black. I guess they don't have the locking top baskets in pink???

The 125's do not come in pink ~ I am worried I won't have enough power with the 50.

Any advice, suggestions you can give me would be most welcome!

I rode a Yamaha 360 RD many years ago so I do know how to ride, this is just to/from work now and I live in a small community.

Thank you in advance for your info ~
Deadra ~
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually on the contrary, they do come in pink for the 125. They cost MSRP, genuine can ship them to your local dealer as long as you order it from your dealer in person and pay upfront. To me, it's just a panel swap job, but hey, it's still a paint color, and it's a 2008 bike. Out the door will be anywhere from 2800 to 3100.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hi PondMermaid,

I moved your topic to General Discussion so more folks would see it. The Scooter Gallery is for photographs (and discussions of photographs) of scooters.

Congratulations on 3 years of survival and here's hoping for many more!

Good luck with your scooter search.

-John
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

Good on yah for the 3 years and I wish you many many more!!

Wow, after the previous ride, I can't imagine a 50cc would satisfy. But whatever you end up getting, happy and safe riding!
maribell

Post by maribell »

Hello! I would highly suggest getting a 125. Many users get 50cc scoots and late decide that it isn't enough, although there are a few caveats to getting a 125 such as getting your class M (motorcycle license). There are '07 pinks at my dealer in Austin still available.

It will be very difficult to find a pink top case, as I have been there, done that. They are still available that they Eco Moto website though.

Pink helmets are great, you'll get TONS of comments about it. I'd recommend a modular. I have half helmet and a full face and wish I had access to my mouth (for drinking) while wearing a full face.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

To me, 50cc is impossible to flow with traffic, you can do it, but people will think you may be a bit slow and pass you constantly. I by myself have never been passed on my 125 because I can go the speed limit and a little more so people arent annoyed. The acceleration is also a big thing, the 125 can speed up like a rocket and shift into traffic just fine, but the 50cc will have to take it's time.

If this were europe, 50cc would be recommended, many of those bikes are built like a rocket and will hit 50-60mph tops with only 50cc and stock parts. People with 125cc can hit 70-80mph. Here in the US and most parts of the world, a 125cc or 150cc scooter can only do 60+ mph. We're not speed crazy like europe is.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jfrost2 wrote:To me, 50cc is impossible to flow with traffic, you can do it, but people will think you may be a bit slow and pass you constantly.
That depends on the traffic

for where I want to take mine, the 2 stroke 50 is plenty. I hit 45MPH (gps confirmed) and bet I can get another 5mph out of it after the break in & I am not afraid to push it harder. (my Rattler was modified by the dealer so it seems to be a little faster than stock)

most of my riding is around town & under 35mph.
I live in a town where all the residential streets are posted 20mph & the main drags are 35mph.
My 2 stroke 50 is a great fit for ME. I think it comes down to having an accurate and realistic understanding of where you will be riding.
If you are riding above 40mph for miles every day, a 50 probably isnt for you... but if not, it is a good fit for a lot of people.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You gotta remember though, your kitted, piped, and the works. You have mods on your bike which makes it faster. Stock 50cc whether 2 stroke or 4 is slower.
AmyNTX

Post by AmyNTX »

Go for the 125! It's worth the extra $ also, you can still order the top case from Moxie Scooter's in Colleyville,tx :) The scooter's still come in pink they are just special order:)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jfrost2 wrote:You gotta remember though, your kitted, piped, and the works. You have mods on your bike which makes it faster. Stock 50cc whether 2 stroke or 4 is slower.
I agree 100% & thats why I mentioned that mine is NOT stock when ever the issue of speed comes up)
(I was told mine isnt "kitted" without the cylinder mod - is that right? I dont know the lingo)

I just want to point out, that some people are just looking to run around town for errands & never plan on riding on 40+mph roads - for them a 50 MIGHT be a good fit.
I just hate to see the 50's automatically dismissed - it works for me (and several Ruckus owners I know)
Again, I think it comes down to having an accurate and realistic understanding of where you will be riding -
No I would NOT be using mine for a 10+ mile commute on 40mph roads & wold not reccomend a 50 for that.
For the record... I realy like the Buddy 125 - but the extra $1,000 (over my Rattler) wasnt worth it for what I use mine for. That being said, if you are going to pay $2,000 for a 50 & have to have $300 worth of mods done to get it to do what you need, you might as well buy the 125.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I just feel that because people already think I am slow going 40mph (45 indicated on speedo) a 50cc bike going 30 indicated (25-28 real mph) you'll be slowing down traffic unless de-restricted.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I agree
if you are only doing actual 30mph on anything more than a 25 or 30 posted street - you are putting yourself in harms way.

PondMermaid:
Anyway.... I suggest you dont wait too long - from what I have seen in the news & in the papers, scooters might be hard to find & more expensive as the summer moves on.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

ScootLemont wrote:I agree
if you are only doing actual 30mph on anything more than a 25 or 30 posted street - you are putting yourself in harms way.

PondMermaid:
Anyway.... I suggest you dont wait too long - from what I have seen in the news & in the papers, scooters might be hard to find & more expensive as the summer moves on.
I know that is true with the mini cooper.. I was going to buy them when they first came out in the us. around $12,000 base now I think they are $20,000

Gas will go up, scooters will be in higher demand then now. Just dont wait and regret it later.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

My wife has a PINK Buddy 125 and I must also suggest that you go that route rather than the 50cc. The body panels are also pretty cheap from what I hear, so you could get pink parts from the factory even if you ended up with say a red Buddy.

But back to the 50cc vs 125cc question, I must HIGHLY recommend that you go with the larger motor. Even on 35 mph streets, most traffic is doing at least 40 mph, which means you're in the way. The acceleration is a lot less on unmodified 50cc scooters, which again means you're in the way.

Being in the way is a bad thing when you're vulnerable on two wheels. Even on a 125 or 150cc scooter, cars simply won't take you seriously. And if you're actually going significantly slower than they are, they're going to pass you recklessly more often than not. It's enough of a problem on a 125cc+ scooter to simply be thought of as too slow for traffic. I've had car drivers look at me at a 4-way stop sign and run the stop sign because they think they'll have to wait on me. They'll pass on double yellow lines because they think they'll have to wait on me. They never do, mind you. On my Blur or on my wife's Buddy, we can outrun pretty much any traffic up to 50 mph, and cruise at 60 no problem at all. On 50cc's you actually will be slow, not just thought of that way.

50cc scooters are great, and after some modifications can usually be much much quicker. But by the time you've modified it, you will have spent as much as you would have on a 125cc and still won't be as fast. Meanwhile you've kitted out and compromised the long term reliability (and warranty!!!) of your engine more likely than not. The only advantage to even the kitted 50cc scooter, in my opinion, is that you can get the "moped" license plate and park it at bicycle racks. If you're trying to commute to a very crowded downtown area where parking is impossible, then this might be a good idea. But if you're just looking to get around, go bigger. You won't regret it.

All that is to say that the extra step of getting your motorcycle permit or endorsement on your drivers' license is worth every effort in order to step up to the bigger scooter. Pink or no, it's no good to you if you can't safely get around on it. It's awesome how you're celebrating your survival, just remember to purchase the scooter carefully as first a scooter and secondly as a rolling symbol of triumph.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

addictionriot wrote:
I know that is true with the mini cooper.. I was going to buy them when they first came out in the us. around $12,000 base now I think they are $20,000

Gas will go up, scooters will be in higher demand then now. Just dont wait and regret it later.
The BMW-bred MINI was never that cheap. The Cooper was MSRP at just under $18k when it was introduced in late 2001 and now the MSRP is $18,950. Hardly a drastic spike, especially given the weak dollar. Now granted, I had to wait about six weeks to take delivery of my Cooper S back in 2006, but that had more to do with production capacity than anything else. There's just the one plant in Oxford, England making MINIs for the whole world, so availability is limited. Still is, in fact. Especially as now MINI produces the hardtop, the convertible, and the new Clubman all in Cooper and Cooper S trim. And each with a limitless number of a-la-cart options and features. It's frankly amazing you can find one at all on the lot. I had to order mine.

The same thing will happen with scooters. They can produce them, ship them, and prep them only so quickly, so people are going to have to wait for them if demand continues to spike. Whether or not that will mean a price increase remains to be seen. Individual dealers may mark them up because they can get away with it, but it isn't as though producing a Buddy is going to get drastically more expensive all of the sudden.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Maybe my eyes need checked but thats what I remember. That was no indication that scooters are going to jump $8,000
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

You didn't really say what your commute consists of, and while I'm generally in the camp of "get the 125," ScootLemont makes great points. If your commute is a few miles down the road on a 30mph street, a 50 could be perfect.

In an urban area where you have to compete heavily with traffic often exceeding the speed limit, a 125 will be a safer option in my opinion for the reasons pointed out above- getting up to speed, not being in the way, and keeping up with traffic. On my 125, I'm able to go a bit faster than traffic that is doing 50-55 on our 45mph roads with some room to spare on the throttle so it gives me the feeling that I'm part of the flow and not being chased by it!

The 50's are great - though I wouldn't buy one just for the color because you should be able to find the panels as everyone has said.

If you have more info on your commute that would help. But I tend to say get the extra power if you can.

have fun!
pamalama

Decisons, decisions....

Post by pamalama »

I've had my Buddy 125 for a month tomorrow...I absolutley love it, can go with or faster than the flow of traffic, even been on the freeway. I know I wouldn't like anything smaller, that's for sure. After a month I'm already wanting something bigger....but then the gas mileage wouldn't be as supurb. On the 125 you can go slower if you chose, or faster when need be...but on a 50 you're gonna be maxed out speed wise and if you want or need to use it fo some type of situation you may just be screwed. I say go with the 125 or 150....I went back and forth...pink 125 or 150 Pampaloma.....I chose the pink and deep down inside I'm pining for the extra 25cc, white wall tires, color coded wheels and that groooovy horn! Don't get me wrong, I love my Pink GiGi, but I'm just a terrible decision maker! Good luck to you and most importantly, have fun, be safe and I guarantee you're gonna love whatever you chose....all are great rides.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

The Pink Buddy 125 is my vote...in the long run you will be more satisfied.

Check around there could be a dealer that has a 125 Pink in stock.

You want pink/white?

Get ready for pink gear....
http://www.womenmotorcycleapparel.com/p ... cycle.html
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I just have to post in defense of the 50cc scoot. I drove a 50cc for 3 years and it was perfect. I live in a city with a posted speed limit city-wide of 25mph. No one actually drives 25...they either go slower because they're talking on their phones, screaming at their kids, or slumped over cruisin' and driving with their wrist, or they go faster because they have to be first to the next red light, of which there are many. The 50 was perfect for me, even with our hills. If the driving is going to be almost exclusively in this type of environment, I say go for the 50 because then you don't have to worry about getting a motorcycle license.

If you want to extend your scootering on a regular basis to rides on open roads, then I agree with the other posters to get the 125. But even that said, I regularly took my 50 on backroads with posted limits of 35-45 mph and never had a problem. My 50 was not modded in any way...it was just a good little Honda. The only reason I upgraded to a 150 was because I fell in love the 2-tone look of the St Tropez, had some cash to spend, could finally make the leap to buying something new (I'm a craigslist and eBay kinda girl and paying MSRP was hard to swallow), and wanted to take longer trips throughout New England.

And go for the chrome backrack with the black basket...it's a good look. I only recommend the windshield if you're going to be taking long rides or riding in colder weather. I only use my windshield when it gets cold.

Good luck and congrats on your 3 years of survival...many, many more to you!
PondMermaid

Post by PondMermaid »

Hellooo ~ Today I purchased my PINK 125 Buddy ~ ~ I will get it next Saturday, but got my pink helmet, pink jacket with body armour and also a lap blanket, gloves and a lock.

The windshield is on back order and I will have a locking box also. I still need to buy the cover and I want the pink handcovers and would like to find more accessories like a chrome license plate that would have a pink ribbon on it or something ....??? any ideas or websites you can link me to to find FUN stuff?

I am SOOO excited! When I walked out of the Portland Vespa Store today, I wore my pink helmet and jacket and carried my other items. I was in a dress and heels and was laughing all the way down the road ~ woo hoo! As soon as I get her and name her, I'll post and also take pics!

Thank you for all your comments ~ they helped me decide on the 125 instead of the 50.

Thank you ~ Pond ~ Muuuuuuuuuah
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congratulations!

Have you seen this site?
http://www.scootpink.com/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…