My first almost mod

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Racenut

My first almost mod

Post by Racenut »

OK, so it's really more of a paint test. I want to paint the "dashboard" black. I've heard Krylon Fusion works well, but went to two different places and all they have was Rustoleum Plastic Paint. So I gave it a try. This is a test in that I removed the dash, but I only painted the area covered by that tinted piece. It looks kinda wierd in sunlight when you see the orange through it anyway. But also lets me paint something harmless.

Oh.. you want pics huh? Figures... OK...
Attachments
IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2292.JPG (35.52 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG (43.36 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I could have spent some time prepping, but as I said, it was just a test and it gets covered anyway, so I wasn't worried about a few dust flecks. If I paint the part that counts then I'll sand it lightly to smooth out any bumps and wipe it down better.

At first I was amazed. But as it dries, the shine goes away a bit. You can still see a reflection in it, but it's not as shiny as the factory paint. Once it's cured I might be able to wax it, but that will take a while. But for rattle can paint, it looks pretty darn good.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I just ordered a replacement cover for an '07 Blur because it's already gloss black. Cost me about $27.
If you're going to paint yours, you should cover the orange with a primer/sealer to completely cover the orange or else it may bleed through the black. After the primer dries, wet sand with 1000 - 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
After spraying the black and letting it dry for at least a week (to make sure the paint is nice and hard), wet sand it with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth out any orange peel and dust bumps, being careful not to sand through the black, especially on sharp edges.
Now spray on a clear coat using multiple thin coats because the clear runs fairly easily.
One last hint - before spraying either the black or the clear, put the spray can into some hot water for a few minutes. The hot water will thin out the paint and raise the spraying pressure to give you a finer spray mist which helps the paint flow out onto the surface better.

Personally, I'd just buy the '07 part because by the time you bought all the paint and other supplies, you would have spent close to $27 anyway, to say nothing about the labor involved. Plus, the factory paint/finish is probably better than you're going to get from a rattle can. :D
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Hmmm, $27 isn't too bad actually, I figured it would be a lot more than that.

Geez, you just took all the fun out of it haha
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I've used that plastic fusion paint on ABS scooter parts before and the results were terrible. The adhesion was worse than normal paint and it peeled up multiple times. If you really want good results the trick is not in your paint but in your paint prep. Like was said, you'll need to go through the entire primer/sand/paint/sand/paint process if you want it to look good.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Davek

Post by Davek »

Where did you order the replacement from, through your local dealer? Any idea on the price of the other orange body parts?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Davek wrote:Where did you order the replacement from, through your local dealer? Any idea on the price of the other orange body parts?
I ordered the "upper handlebar cover" from SF Scooter Center. I tried to find my receipt with the part number on it, but so far no luck. I didn't get pricing for any of the other parts because I'm thinking those bright orange side panels are very visible and may save me an accident one day...but if I were to change their color, it would be "aluminum" color.
Last edited by babblefish on Wed May 28, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

NathanielSalzman wrote:I've used that plastic fusion paint on ABS scooter parts before and the results were terrible. The adhesion was worse than normal paint and it peeled up multiple times. If you really want good results the trick is not in your paint but in your paint prep. Like was said, you'll need to go through the entire primer/sand/paint/sand/paint process if you want it to look good.
I've always used regular Rustoleum paint for everything, including plastic and have never had a problem, plus it lasts forever. The only negative thing about it is that it takes forever to dry, too. And oh yeah, don't ever put plastic parts in your oven (thats turned on) to force dry the paint - don't ask me how I know this. Let's just say that that was the primary reason I went out and bought the '07 part... :oops:
Davek

Post by Davek »

I dunno why I said your local dealer, when its my local dealer also :)

Anyhow, I'll probably order one too and maybe check on the other parts for pricing, just out of curiosity.

babblefish wrote:
Davek wrote:Where did you order the replacement from, through your local dealer? Any idea on the price of the other orange body parts?
I ordered the "upper handlebar cover" from SF Scooter Center. I tried to find my receipt with the part number on it, but so far no luck. I didn't get pricing for any of the other parts because I'm thinking those bright orange side panels are very visible and may save me an accident one day...but if I were to change their color, it would be "aluminum" color.