Me Fall Down, Go Boom

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

Me Fall Down, Go Boom

Post by charlie55 »

Well, paid a little visit to pavement world today. Was coming out of a short uphill left curve when I spotted a small pickup coming in from the right on a side street. While he did the "I'm stopping, wait, no I'm going, wait, no I'm stopping" two-step, I saw oncoming traffic to my left and a nice fat patch of sand right in the middle of the curve. Tried to straighten out and stop, but the rear wheel caught the sand and decided to go its own way.

The scoot slid about 25 feet on its left side, and I followed closely behind. Scratched up my visor (glad I was wearing a full-face) and got a nice bloody set of road rashes on both knees and elbows. Must've tumbled a bit, but, other than the visor, my helmet never hit the ground. Also ripped a hole clean through my left boot.

Like a true jerk, my only concern was for the scoot, so I stumbled over, got 'er upright on the center stand and fired up. Happy to say that other than some nasty looking scrapes, everything was fully operational. Gotta hand it to PGO, the placement and shaping of the fairing and kickstand really saved the day. No cracks, no damage to the underpinnings, no damage to the CVT case.

Some nice folks did the 911 thing and the cops and ambulance were there in a few minutes. Other than being banged up a bit, I felt good enough to turn down a trip to the hospital, so I mounted up and headed home. Yeah, I know that I should have taken the offer, but I'm really not feeling all that poorly. Just the expected sore muscles and burning from the scrapes. Coupla' Advil, a good scrub with some hydrogen peroxide, and half a tube of Bacitracin, and I'm feeling pretty good, considering.

One thing I cannot figure out: while my elbows and knees took the punishment, there wasn't a mark or tear on my jacket or jeans. As a matter of fact, the sweatshirt I had on under the jacket got shredded.

Main question now is: anybody got a close match for the '06 charcoal color?

Regards,

Charlie
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Charlie, sorry to hear about your spill but glad you're okay.

What kind of jacket/jeans were you wearing?

I went down at less than 10mph—straight down with little slide—and wound up with holes. Nuts! I think sometimes it's just luck.

Would you mind posting about this in the "Who'd Crashed?" thread in General Discussions? I think it may be instructive to everyone, not just those of you hanging in the Blur forum. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

As for attire:

1) A medium-weight windbreaker (lined) over a heavyweight sweatshirt

2) Plain 'ol jeans

3) Goatskin gloves

4) Boots that covered about 2 inches over the ankles

5) Shoei TZ-R full-face helmet.

Still can't figure out how the windbreaker was unharmed but the sweatshirt was shredded.

-Charlie
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Sand Happens

Post by jrsjr »

Sounds like you were doing a good job reading the traffic and the road. If I read your post correctly, that's how you were able to avoid washing out the front wheel in the sand, which could only have led to a worse crash. Sometimes these things just happen. Hope you and your Blur are good as new soon.

P.S. I'm guessing your shirt tore because your body was violently twisting and bending during the crash. You may be sore for a couple days. One word - Ibuprofren.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Really sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you and your scoot are at least in one piece, minus some epidermis from you and your scoot. Your windbreaker is probably made of ripstop nylon, that's why it didn't rip - sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

As for your scoots panels, you might be able to match the color, but not the texture. As I see it, you have two choices (well, maybe three - you can just leave it as is), completely repaint the panels which will result in a smooth glossy finish in whatever color you choose or you can order new body panels to replace the damaged pieces. Unless you do the painting yourself, replacing the damaged panels might be the cheaper route.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Owww! Glad you walked away from that one mostly OK.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Dang, sorry to hear, but glad you are OK.
Funny how you got a good hole on your boots as recently we were discussing the benefits of boots vs. other footwear. I guess we know what you will be wearing in your feet.

The knees and elbows, as you said, probably got hit on a couple of tumbles that you probably don't even remember taking.

Hopefully you can get those panels replaced soon.

Take care . . . and yes, IBUPROFEN !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Wow, yeah, glad you're OK. That's rough stuff. I was in a similar situation yesterday, and the absence of sand is the only reason I didn't end up going down like you did. Stupid cagers!

What kind of boot was it? :shock:

From what I hear, the body panels on the Blurs and Buddies are pretty darn cheap. By the time you go to all the effort of painting and such, you'll probably spend just as much as you would for a bolt-on replacement panel. But, it does make for a good opportunity for a custom paint job!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

All:

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm actually doing pretty well today with just the pulled muscle in my left leg causing me any real discomfort. I took a closer look at my left boot, and the damage appears as follows:

1) Appreciable scuffing on the edge of the sole slightly forward of the big toe.

2) Complete hole directly above the main joint where the big toe joins the
rest of the foot.

3) Medium scuffing starting from the joint and progessing towards and past the inside ankle.

Judging from the marks and hjow my leg feels, it appears to me that I must have caught my left toe while going over, twisting my leg outward and dragging it in the process. Feels like nothing more than a pulled muscle, so I should be back on the road in a couple of days. Just don't want to have to put any weight on it for the present. (Don't feel like keeling over when I come to a stop).

The damage to the panels is really not severe enough to require replacement, and I can live with a color/texture mismatch, so I'll do a lash-up job myself.

Worst part about all of this was the doofus in the pickup. He "conveniently"
managed to pull his truck back from the intersection before the cops arrived, and with no witnesses or impact, there wasn't much they could do. As a matter of fact, while I was sitting on the curb bleeding, I heard him calling someone to explain that he was going to be a "little late". He never called 911 (a later passing motorist took care of that) and never even asked if I was OK or not. Selfish jackass!

Regards,

Charlie
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Believe it or not, they were a pair of "cheapie" no-name boots from Pay-Less - only $10.00 for the pair. Saved my feet and ankles, though.

-Charlie