leaky buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

toga28

leaky buddy

Post by toga28 »

went out to the garage last night and saw a few drops of a yellowish fluid below my Buddy last night. Looks to be gear oil. Not sure how much as leaked out, and I'm not sure if you can check the fluid level. (the filler plug is screw-in like the regular oil, but doesn't have an attachd dipstick). I don't think it's been too much, but who knows if it's been dripping while riding or whatever. I wiped everything clean so that I can see where it's been leaking from exactly. The drain plug on the underside looks like it might be a hair loose, but I never thought to check it up close after the last service. Of course, at 1300 miles on the odo, I guess the next service is due anything anyway...

Any thoughts/suggestions/questions/helps?
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Don't think you can check gear oil level; you may be best off just draining and replacing it. The Buddy takes 110c.c. of gear oil total. If you were headed for a scheduled maintenance anyway, this would be done then.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: leaky buddy

Post by jrsjr »

toga28 wrote:...I'm not sure if you can check the fluid level. (the filler plug is screw-in like the regular oil, but doesn't have an attachd dipstick).
When my scooter had a mystery leak on the Cannonball, we checked the gear oil with the following super-de-duper high tech gadget: we straightened out a paper clip, wiped it clean and carefully used it to feel for gear oil level. :wink:
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who lives by the infamous Red Green handyman adage: "Any tool can be the right tool." Thanks for the tip(s). Also, it's not leaking anymore. Hmph.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella