Cruising speed?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DO3

Cruising speed?

Post by DO3 »

Question for you blur owners. I have a Buddy 125 and ride it to work on occasion down posted 55mph county roads. The max my Buddy will do is an indicated 65, which is closer to 60, but that is wide open. I back the throttle down and it seems to cruise along really nicely at 55 (really 50, 10% error again). It's a good comfortable speed but not quite enough when all of the cars are going 60-65 and most would rather sit right behind you than go around.

So I'm looking for another 5-10 cruising speed, not top maxxed out down a hill speed. Would the blur fit the bill or should I wait for the rumored performance kits for the buddy?

Thanks.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

You (and the buddy) are probably lighter than me, but 65 indicated is all I can get out of my Blur, and I suspect there's more than 10% variance there.

If you're comfy on the buddy, i'd say stick with it.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I'm 6'1" and about 210, so not huge but not a lightweight either. The Buddy fits ok for 1up riding since I pretty much sit on the back of the seat and since it's so small you can park it anywhere, which is handy. I know the Blur is bigger, better brakes, handles better, etc, but if the extra 25 cc's doesn't get at least 5-10 more MPH cruising speed it's not worth it to me.

Thanks for the input.
ScooterN2

Post by ScooterN2 »

I have not been trying to determine maximum speed (well at least not with much aggression) because I am still in break in period, but have hit 65 on speedo with one on board (170lbs) and 60 with two on board (170+130). I don't think it had much more to go though. I went by police radar/speed sign this weekend with 50 mph on the speedo but only registered 42 on the speed sign. And that seems about right, meaning I always felt I was going quite a bit slower than the speedo was showing. My girlfriend has a Buddy 125 that I have ridden (though not too fast). The Blur is quicker and has faster acceleration (and likely a little more top end), but topend is probably not too much more than the Buddy. So I wouldn't recommend switching to a Blur for more top end. I would recommend for better accelaration and handling.
One thing about seating. The Blur has a seat with different height levels for driver and passenger, thus making it impossible to sit farther back on the seat (unless you are 7 ft tall and can sit entirely on passenger area and drive comfortably doing a wheelie. Seat position may be a problem. I'm 5'10" and think I would feel cramped if I were taller.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

I've heard good things about a slight performance advantage if and once the engine is broken in properly. About 5mph more top speed over new. I'd be happy to hear if anyone had this experiece.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

My top speed is an indicated 62mph - about 55mph according to my Garmin. I'm about 250 lbs, I'm sure a properly skinny rider could hit an indicated 70.

I'm not certain how accurate the Garmin is. I am able to keep up with traffic on 50 mph roads without problem - and I doubt the cagers I'm sharing the road with are habitually travelling below the limit.

During break-in my top end speed increased at least 5mph - and top RPM went from 7000 to 7500.

I've noticed my top end is several mph higher when the gas tank is full. Could it be that a simple performance upgrade would be a better fuel pump?

Note: Since adding the windscreen after this post was originally made my top speed has increased at least 5mph. Top speed so far on level ground with a tailwind has been an indicated 70mph.
Last edited by BlueMark on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjchmiel

Post by pjchmiel »

I rode a Blur 150 from Chicago to Cincinnati and back, for a total of around 700 miles. Here's a recap of that ride that I originally posted elsewhere (note I weigh 140 lbs. soaking wet):

I made it there and back without incident, though there were hellacious winds on Friday (20 to 50mph apparently, though I managed to avoid the tornadoes, thank Jebus) and about 4 hours of rain riding back on Sunday. I did almost get blown off a bridge by a gust of wind on a stretch of Interstate, which had me shaking and checking my shorts for a while after that, lots of white-knuckle steering and a 10-degree lean against the wind most of the time.

The G-Max did admirably, considering that its break-in period consisted of the ride from Scooterworks to my apartment at Damen/Addison, down Western to the Dixie Highway at about Crete or so (maybe ~40 miles?), then the fields started and it was wide-open throttle into a major headwind for the next 2-3 hours with stops only for gas. (Note: probably not the kindest break-in period!) The top speed with the wind was only an indicated 55-60mph, but once I changed directions I could go 15mph faster and on the return trip was able to cruise between an indicated 70 and 78 most of the time. Great speed, lights, brakes and suspension, though the fixed seat and leg position (think "wedgie"), small gas tank (1.4 gallons when it's past "E") and gear carrying capacity left a lot to be desired. Also about 800km late for the first oil change... Total trip MPG averaged at exactly 70 (50mpg during the strong winds!).

352 miles there, 347 miles or so back, two totally different routes, both pure Indiana Hell.

I'm debating between getting a Blur or a Buddy as a third scooter, I want something decently fast and reliable to ride between Louisville (my new home) and Chicago, 300 miles each way. I'd much prefer the Buddy around town, I'd probably only ride the Blur on longer trips.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

the fixed seat and leg position (think "wedgie") ... left a lot to be desired.
I've read a lot of similar comments about the Blur seat, so I guess it must be true ... but I find it easy to slide up and down the seat, the 'step' is just a gentle rise. My usual cruising position is back on the seat with legs almost straight, at stops and low speed I slide forward into an easy perch. Not much opportunity to change foot position, I don't care for the crotch rocket position with feet on passenger pegs, that can't be safe. I have set one leg crossways on the 'hump' during long rides, but never total Buddha style.

-Mark
chizizad

Blur Cruising Speed

Post by chizizad »

I am a little smaller 5'8" 155lbs and I am easily able to achieve 70 mph under almost any driving conditions. Once I get the Blur up to about 65 and maintain it seems to drop idle and allow for more acceleration. My indicated top-speed thus far has been just at 80 mph. I do not have a fly-screen and am looking forward to any increase that might have.

In a direct comparison to the Buddy 125 (as my riding buddy has) the blur is far more comfortable at any speed but especially over 50 mph. Although I think the Buddy is actually more fun to ride....there is always that thrill that comes with going 60+ on ten inch tires!! But the Blur is far more functional and safe for regular commuting.

I feel very comfortable on the LA freeways (love the carpool lane!) driving my 60 mile round trip drive to work.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:You (and the buddy) are probably lighter than me, but 65 indicated is all I can get out of my Blur, and I suspect there's more than 10% variance there.

If you're comfy on the buddy, i'd say stick with it.
I completely agree with Illnoise. There was definitely more than 10% error in my Blur's speedo when checked against those mobile RADAR signs. 65 indicated was more like 56.

My Blur wasn't running great, but I'm very skeptical of some of the speed claims above. Pushing the Blur as hard as it would go on a straight shot down the side of the Rocky Mountains, I didn't see much more than 80 on the speedo and it was vibrating hard at that point. It felt like it was about to come unglued.
chizizad

wow

Post by chizizad »

That is crazy! Unglued! I have the kind of let down feeling at 70 mph (atleast that is what the speedo says ) Like it is too smooth and capable of more! No shaking at all on mine ! Is yours broken in yet? I noticed when I first started riding it that my top rpm's where 7000 or so now I am topping out at 8000 ...smoothly as far as I am concerned. Even my 6' 2" 240lb brother is able to get up to 70...even 65 with his 140lb wife on back too!
On the freeway I often need to get out of the right lane and get in one of the faster lanes to avoid running into slower traffic, my Blur definetely hangs in there! 8)